Battery Charger On Coachman Vip

MallyKay

Bought a new Coachman VIP and after 3 weeks use onboard charger is kaput!

Dealer will replace same under warranty but will be around 3 weeks waiting for replacement from manufactures.

Is this the norm or am I unlucky?

All comments welcome (well most) ;-)

Malc

Kia Sportage CRDI + Coachman VIP 460/2

Dealer will replace same under warranty but will be around 3 weeks waiting for replacement from manufactures.

Malc

I think you are just unlucky. I've had two coachman's and never had a problem with the charger. In fact the charger is similar to many on other makes :blink:

As for the time taken to replace - hmmmm, I am sure these are probably off the shelf units but i may be wrong!

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

I think you are just unlucky. I've had two coachman's and never had a problem with the charger. In fact the charger is similar to many on other makes :blink:

As for the time taken to replace - hmmmm, I am sure these are probably off the shelf units but i may be wrong!

Martin W

I thought Coachman were now using a dual unit - charger (14. 4v)/power supply (13. 8v), unlike most other manufacturers who just use a power supply (13. 8v) ?

I thought Coachman were now using a dual unit - charger (14. 4v)/power supply (13. 8v), unlike most other manufacturers who just use a power supply (13. 8v) ?

Ah, you may well be right there Sir :D

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

[Yes Roger, thats correct. will watch progress and hopefully report quick dealer response.

Malc

The unlucky bit sounds about right Martin, should have been more amiable with our black cat in my childhood.

Thanks for your response.

Malc

Thanks OVM.

Will give it a few days and then start making a noises.

Feel quite confident mind about dealership.

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

Just 2 weeks wait and now jobs complete,

hope it was just a "Teething" problem.

Thanks for all the comments.

Malc

• 1 month later...

I think Swift also use these fancy chargers on some of their top-end vans, and there was a problem with a faulty batch - perhaps Coachman also got some of the faulty ones?

• 5 months later...

Have used van for past 6 months and battery charger seems to be holding up ok. ..mind it does get quite hot, but dealer says this is normal.

malc.

• 2 weeks later...

Malc

(Coachman Pastiche 2008 535/4) I have just returned from holiday in York where we lost all power as the battery charger had not kicked in, thus the battery dropped to low and the mains electric would not come on . Charged battery on friends caravan which got us through the night, but again by morning the battery was flat and the charger had not kicked in . On phoning our dealer their service department told me of a design fault where the kettle like cable at the back of the power unit will have most likley shaken loose. I have checked this which is NOT the caused, but taped it sucurely anyway . Now not sure if I need a new battery charger or a new battery ???

Mark

• 1 year later...

After all this time it's happened! My van is being serviced for the first time right now and the battery charger is Kaputt! Van is less than 12 months old too so the 'bad batch' was obviously still around early 2010!

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

Pastiche 545/4 12 months old, A couple of weeks ago plugged eveything in and switched everything on - SMOKE! from the charging unit Went to dealer who replaced unit without quibble or cost under warranty in under an hour. 'Bad Batch of chargers' they said. Sounds like a common problem as I have seen this reported elsewhere on the internet.

• 1 year later...

I have a laser 650/4 2008 model and had the charger changed after 20 months just stopped working, now I find that the trip has gone and on remaking it guess what no charger have been in contact with BCA who tell me Quote " if the trip had gone when you got to your caravan then this was due to some other fault. This is what may have also caused the failure of the power supply? " The trip also supplies lights and water heater both of which were off. I think they have bad product.

Hi MallyKay,

You are not unlucky read through the Coachman forum loads of us have had the same problem with the new VIP, also batteries going flat whilst van is in storage. Research what has been written Coachman are very good at sticking there head in the sand over these issues, there is a big problem with the BCA chargers, bet they wouldn't tell you how many have been changed under warranty but by ratio it would be a high percentage.

Another problem is lack of heat in the end bathroom!

Brgds

Bandybash

Unsatisfied owner of a new Coachman VIP 560/4

Porsche Cayenne Turbo tugging 2012 Coachman VIP 560/4

Had my charger replaced on my 2012 vip 560/4 and still battery gone flat in storage, ?? its going back into dealers on 14th july lets hope they get it right this time. !!!! will let you know!!

Hi Hustler

while in storage do you leave any thing on, alarm, radio, or other items, as I left the radio front in & this drained my battery ?

I now disconnect the leads & have no problem now

Coachman Platinum Pastiche 560/4

Santa Fe Premium 2. 2 CRDi manual 7 seat

Kampa Air Ace 400

Hi Hustler

while in storage do you leave any thing on, alarm, radio, or other items, as I left the radio front in & this drained my battery ?

I now disconnect the leads & have no problem now

I believe that may flatten the internal battery on your alarm if you have one fitted?

Brgds

Bandybash

Porsche Cayenne Turbo tugging 2012 Coachman VIP 560/4

I believe that may flatten the internal battery on your alarm if you have one fitted? Brgds Bandybash
Hi Hustler while in storage do you leave any thing on, alarm, radio, or other items, as I left the radio front in & this drained my battery ? I now disconnect the leads & have no problem now

Hi

nothing is left on at all, master is turned off

i think that having paid so much for a caravan dont think i should have to disconnect the battery leads to save the battery ?never done it before and not going to start now !!!!