Danger On Google?

Bobinet

I see google has allowed a new service called streetview which shows your house in full detail.

Personally I think that if you have a caravan then it is an address book for thieves to trawl and see your caravan, car and other details knowing when and what to target.

I have started the process of removal from google.

What do you all think?

Bobby

Hi Bobinet

I'm actually with a Google employee this week and I have been relating all furore to her from back

in the UK (I'm in CH) and all she can say is that 'it isn't illegal to take photos in a public place' and

'anyway we obscure faces and registrations etc' and apparently any image will be pulled following

complaint, so you should be sorted out soon.

I have always said that a caravan on a drive (or rather not on a drive IYSWIM) is an advert to

burglars and they are more likely to be oppurtunist local scum rather than computer literate.

Having said that I seem to remember a story (here?) about a van that was taken overnight

after it had been loaded up ready for a holiday the previous evening so care is needed.

The main reason I use secure storage is to give the low life scum a choice of nicer/bigger vans

than mine ;)

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

as far as i'm aware, it's a photograph, not continuous streaming of film, so personally i don't have a problem with it. and those who do have a problem - and it's fair enough if you do - can have their bit removed, just as you're doing bobinet.

sue

And if Google Earth is anything to go by the photos will be years out of date!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Hi,

If you complain and have your house removed how does it look on the new maps, is it faded out or is there a blank space where the house should be?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Ian

I am not sure.

I recall trying to look up someones place a few weeks back and it looked like a cloudy formation over the area, but that was just on google maps.

I have had a receipt of complaint aknowledgement and they are looking into my reasons. Will report back when I have news

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the information,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Out here in the sticks, we have no chance of being Googled

We don't even have cable ;)

Which areas have they actually filmed as I can only find reference to the smoke

Enjoy yourself, whatever you're doing

RAV4 Pegasus 534

Can't see any problem with the Google thing. The way this country is now it's a wonder you can go to the loo without being seen on some camera or another.

These photos will be months out of date already. The photo of my Stepdaughter's house in SW London was clearly taken during Wimbledon fortnight as the special parking signs are on the lamp posts.

Kia Sportage with Sterling Europa 460

Streetview is in use in many other countries, without furore, lets just get on with it and not start to stress over it. I can name half a dozen adresses within 3 miles of me (on main roads) that have caravans parked up, all without the help of a computer.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Just to put a different complexion on this. Margaret, who no one could accuse of being a computer nerd has spent the afternoon glued to the laptop looking at streets where she used to live, play and go to school in Newcastle upon Tyne. She has found it quite fascinating and wondering why its changed so much in 40 years!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

The normal 'google earth' has updated images, our caravan is outside our house on the image. Funniest thing is it must have been on one of the very few occasions last summer where we brought it home to empty it :lol: it's not been outside the house since August so it's fairly out of date already

Edited by lil_me

I see google has allowed a new service called streetview which shows your house in full detail.

Personally I think that if you have a caravan then it is an address book for thieves to trawl and see your caravan, car and other details knowing when and what to target.

I have started the process of removal from google.

What do you all think?

Bobby

Well as you asked, i think your extremely paranoid and severely out of touch with reality on this issue.

So a thief spends his time randomly searching through out of date maps to find an out of date picture at a house which may or may not still have the van in the picture.

Do you honestly think that these type of thefts are opportunist, spare of the moment jobs?

If your van is nicked they have had a good nose at it a few times to spot the security involved plus the lay of the land.

Not pick any grainy image up from a 4 year old photo on google.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Hi,

If you complain and have your house removed how does it look on the new maps, is it faded out or is there a blank space where the house should be?

Regards,

Ian.

I know of an Italian airbase in southern Italy that has disappeared into a forest of tree's, that was on Microsoft Virtual Earth, so no doubt the same type software will be used for Google. :rolleyes:

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

And if Google Earth is anything to go by the photos will be years out of date!

Google Earth is about 6 years out of date and Street View is about 7 months out of date in my area. Can't see them updating regularly though.

Edited by univega

Kia Sorento XT & 2009 Swift Challenger 620

Just looked at mine and it is a bit old now as the caravan and car in the picture have long gone - 3 years. .

also the trees in the garden -- blew down 4 years ago.

Another one I looked at my cousins house in Queensland Australia -- they even had camera eye views of the houses -- great but they were at least five years out of date -- the only thing that was the same was the bin hanging on the street sign

My son has just shown me one of the sites where you can run a time line of the satellite pics of your area -- quiet interesting to see the house next door suddenly appear. .

and our old orchard sprout a bungalow as well -- didn't know that existed. .

I think that some of the pics are very hit and miss -- some things there when do don't expect them and others missing when you thought they were there. .

One interesting point though -- and this is serious -- we are thinking of building a new school as ours with 1100 students is now too small and we want 1600 student accommodation -- and approached the Local government for suitable areas. .

They sent a representative to the collage to talk to the governors about suitable sites they could offer to us - and even had wonderful satellite photos of the sites - all in a nice folder -- the only problem was that Morrison's had built the largest Midlands distribution depot on it 4 years previously. .. So if the local authority don't know what is there -- who really does???

So I take them all with a pinch of salt. .

Maurice

Edited by MauriceH

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Thanks for all comments. Just had confirmation that MY HOUSE ALONE will be clouded over.

Bobby

IMHO you have just announced to the low-lifes of the world that your house is "special" and probably deserves a visit . .. :(

Better to just blend into the background with an out-of-date image than announce yourself loudly.

I wonder why all the other countries can do this without panic . . but a few folks in England just have to make a fuss. ??

Just my views . . nowt else

Nothing special as the people only visit to talk.

Hi Bobby,

it hasn't bothered me about our house being on there (I've not even looked yet) but I can''t be critical of people who are bothered and do something about it after all you're only exercising your right,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi ian

Thanks.

Entwood has unerved me saying that people will now know my house and it is 'special' so a good target.

I can't see how anyone can know my house

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I really wouldn't worry about it as you can always reverse your decision so as not to arouse interest in your house. I sometimes think that we could worry ourselves into an early grave :D,

Regards,

Ian.