Towcar Dilema "update " Freelander Hse

tinman

Have the opportunity to buy a very nice 2004 Landrover Freelander 2. 0 TD HSE Estate 30,000 miles in excellent condition. Not being a car buff and having no technical knowledge at all, what is "chipping" exactly ? what does it do and what does it cost . ......and is it really necessary ? . ......and I would be very grateful if anyone can advise me what would be a fair price for the above car on a private sale. I know the car and owner very well and I know he would not sell it on to me if he did not have full confidence in the car but I haven't got a clue on prices . .............thanks

Chipping normally refers to modifying the cars engine management computer to change the performance in some way. Usually to increase torque and bhp. THis is normally done by linking a computer with special program to the cars engine diagnostics port. There is no reason to do this other than if the "standard" manufacturers settings are not adequate for the way you use the car. Should only ever be carried out by a reputable car tuning company and can have warranty and insurance implications.

Can't help with prices on Freelander

Ken

Lunar Quasar 525 & Vauxhall Zafira 1. 9d (150)

One of our drivers has an 04 Freelander (TD4 diesel) and he has a chip on it, there is a flat spot on his at about 2000 rpm, and this bit of kit overides it, Land Rover knows about this flat spot but can't do owt about it, hence this "Economy Chip", word it correctly and it wont upset the insurance company, he has an improved drive now, no flat spot, makes a difference when he tows his caravan as well.

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

If you are going down the "chipping" road IMHO do not get one of the add on boxes get a proper "remap" you will have little trouble with them. The add on boxes just fool the engine and you have EMS klights flashing etc etc you will get a smoother output and less trouble if any. I have had two vehicles that have had remaps and had no trouble with either. Your insurance company will need to know, mine did not care as I explained it was a remap for torque and not for speed. Saying that I know a person who had is Rangerover (Diesel TD6) remapped and his insurance company wanted over £700 more.

Edited by ad210358