Volvo Detachable Towbar

Guest john1215

Guest john1215

Just got my new V70. It has a detachable towbar that is stamped all over with the Volvo name. I have to say though that it is so much like the Brink I had on my Passat. The main difference is that the Volvo bar has a lock on it that prevents removal from the car.

It also has single sockets electrics which I want to try asap as I'm not sure that everything will work as before.

john1215

The Volvo detachable towbar is made by Brink. By single socket, I assume you mean 13pin continental type, which should be supplied with an adaptor lead to give you two 7 pin sockets. It should work OK but mine did not. The 13 pin socket was wired to pre 1998 standard and the adaptor lead was incorrect. I suggest you check out each pin in turn see page 600 of CC manual for details. In particular check that you have 12v across pin 10 and 11 (fridge supply) with ignition on. If you don't get this pin 11 has not been connected to the car earth, which was the fault on mine. This just needs a short piece of wire in the boot if missing. The error on the adaptor lead needs a couple of conections swapping, I can't remember which ones.

I did away with the adaptor lead by fitting a 13 pin plug on the caravan which works well.

Brian

Guest john1215
The Volvo detachable towbar is made by Brink. By single socket, I assume you mean 13pin continental type, which should be supplied with an adaptor lead to give you two 7 pin sockets. It should work OK but mine did not. The 13 pin socket was wired to pre 1998 standard and the adaptor lead was incorrect. I suggest you check out each pin in turn see page 600 of CC manual for details. In particular check that you have 12v across pin 10 and 11 (fridge supply) with ignition on. If you don't get this pin 11 has not been connected to the car earth, which was the fault on mine. This just needs a short piece of wire in the boot if missing. The error on the adaptor lead needs a couple of conections swapping, I can't remember which ones.

I did away with the adaptor lead by fitting a 13 pin plug on the caravan which works well.

Brian

14399[/snapback]

Hi Brian,

Yep I got the adapter lead as it is a single 13 pin. I expressed my concerns before I got the car and the dealer said they were aware of problems in the past involving the earth connection. I will test this asap and they'll rectify the problem should it be appropriate.

john1215

I've also got a detachable tow hook on my V70, with lock! I also have the single socket with the split leads. I was a bit dubious at first about the single socket but it works a treat. Just be aware to keep the two leads from trailing on the ground, I use a bungee cord and secure it/leads to the top of the jockey wheel (handle). This seems to work and the bungee cord allows you some give for those 90* turns. The lock on the tow hook is a big plus, I had my detachable hook on my Volvo 850 nicked - my fault for leaving it on - but £160 to replace! Enjoy the V70, its a great tug.

Brian

14399[/snapback]

The problem that I had with the 13pin socket was pins 10 and 11 did not exist and of course neither did the associated wiring. :blink:

According to the CC this is common on many German cars.

Fortunately I had the Passat bracket and 2x7 pins fitted in the UK.

The 13pin setup is far superior provided you van is similarly equipped. :)

Frank

My V70 was 14 months old when I got it and already had the detachable towbar fitted. Hadn't been used though. Just as well because the fridge wire was routed back to the common earth. When the dealer plugs his magic box in (bulbs mounted in a tin) the fridge one came on of course but it wouldn't have been good to try and draw any decent amount of power from it.

It's a well known fact on Volvo forums that dealers have absolutely no idea about wiring towbar electrics.

I don't know what your van weighs john1215 but my D5 pulls my 1400kg van without trying.

Keat

It's a well known fact on Volvo forums that dealers have absolutely no idea about wiring towbar electrics.

Keat

14498[/snapback]

I quite agree, and its the dealers that fit them even when ordered with a new car.

Brian

Guest john1215

Brian,

I think it was you who pointed me towards a set of instructions on the web about the wiring issues(if it wasn't then apols to whoever it was and thanks). I discussed it with the dealer and they assure me that they have wired it up so that the fridge will work, if it doesn't I'll just trot back and they'll put it right.

john1215

Guest john1215
I've also got a detachable tow hook on my V70, with lock! I also have the single socket with the split leads. I was a bit dubious at first about the single socket but it works a treat. Just be aware to keep the two leads from trailing on the ground, I use a bungee cord and secure it/leads to the top of the jockey wheel (handle). This seems to work and the bungee cord allows you some give for those 90* turns. The lock on the tow hook is a big plus, I had my detachable hook on my Volvo 850 nicked - my fault for leaving it on - but £160 to replace! Enjoy the V70, its a great tug.

14470[/snapback]

Clubman,

I took the towball out of the bag on the first day and to my horror I found that there was a key in the lock that was bent at right angles, it broke off before I had chance to apply too much pressure, the dealer is going to get the broken bit out(hopefully)

john1215

Guest john1215
My V70 was 14 months old when I got it and already had the detachable towbar fitted. Hadn't been used though. Just as well because the fridge wire was routed back to the common earth. When the dealer plugs his magic box in (bulbs mounted in a tin) the fridge one came on of course but it wouldn't have been good to try and draw any decent amount of power from it.

I don't know what your van weighs john1215 but my D5 pulls my 1400kg van without trying.

Keat

14498[/snapback]

Keat,

I don't think it is more than 1400 kgs but I can't wait to hitch up. I gave the engine a bit of stick this evening, just for testing purposes and the engine just growled and the hair on the back of my neck stood up!

john1215

Keat,

I don't think it is more than 1400 kgs but I can't wait to hitch up. I gave the engine a bit of stick this evening, just for testing purposes and the engine just growled and the hair on the back of my neck stood up!

john1215

14545[/snapback]

There is a note in the handbook about not towing for the first 1000km. Seems to make sense as it gives time for the engine to bed in. If you do have to tow, dont press too hard on the right pedal.

Brian

Brian,

I think it was you who pointed me towards a set of instructions on the web about the wiring issues(if it wasn't then apols to whoever it was and thanks). I discussed it with the dealer and they assure me that they have wired it up so that the fridge will work, if it doesn't I'll just trot back and they'll put it right.

john1215

14543[/snapback]

here are the links

http://www. volvoclub. org. uk/towbar_electrics. htm

and this one about the adaptor

http://www. volvoclub. org. uk/new_style_wiring. htm

The adaptor lead is a Volvo supplied part and it is unlikely the dealer will check it. Mind you I got my car 2 years ago, so maybe they have corrected the problem by now. ..or maybe not! I had to go through it in detail with the dealer to get it corrected. Best of luck

Brian

I gave the engine a bit of stick this evening, just for testing purposes and the engine just growled and the hair on the back of my neck stood up!

john1215

14545[/snapback]

You're right, they do growl a bit. I guess that's a "feature" of the extra cylinder - not quite a 6 but a bit throatier than a 4 pot.

Guest john1215

An update on the broken key. The dealer got it out after dismantling everything and then put it back together in the locked position but without the spare key in the lock. The guidance notes state that the key must be in the lock at all times whilst the towball is detached from the vehicle. You can only remove the key when the towbar is locked into the socket. The dealer is getting me a new towball as I wasn't happy that the one they supplied had now been dismantled and re-assembled, wrongly as it turns out but hey, no one is perfect.

john1215

This is a poor design IMO. If you just push the towbar on to the back of the car a little way then it will allow the locking lever to move without it locking onto the car. You can then effectively "lock" it off the car allowing you to remove the key. This is what I do as the key is almost certain to get bent or broken if it is stored in the lock in the boot of the car as you are not naturally gentle when moving a heavy towbar around. The keys also seem to be made out of some sort of toffee or chocolate like material that is certainly not key metal!

Keat

I find when I remove my towball, the lock snaps to the locked postion and you can then remove the key. I keep the towball key with the ignition key. The key can only be removed in the locked position, but the towball can be locked off the car. Hence you should not need to store the towball with the key in with potential for getting bent as you have found out.

Brian

Guest john1215
I find when I remove my towball, the lock snaps to the locked postion and you can then remove the key. I keep the towball key with the ignition key. The key can only be removed in the locked position, but the towball can be locked off the car. Hence you should not need to store the towball with the key in with potential for getting bent as you have found out.

Brian

14724[/snapback]

Brian,

I'm getting the replacement towball middle of next week. Are you saying that you CAN lock the towball and remove the key whilst it is OFF the car. Is this a known feature or just something you've learned to do?

john1215

John,

When you put the towball on, unlock with key and then push the small handle down. (It may alrerady be shipped to you in this position) Push the towball onto the the car - give it a good push - the small handle snaps up and then you can lock and remove the key.

To remove, put key in and unlock, push small handle down and pull off. The small handle will snap back up as you pull off and you can then remove the key. This works every time and is not a fudge.

I think they ship them with the keys in so they don't get lost. Can't remember how mine came.

Brian