Towcar For Charisma 570?

nad381

Hi

I am a new addition to the caravan world and already need a dig out! I have recently bought a 2007 Charisma 570 with a max load of 1500kg. However, until I get a suitable towcar my holidays will be restricted to the driveway!

My options are open and my finances can stretch to about 13k for the car. I wanted something like the Audi Avant 2. 0 TDI, 5 Series BMW, 2. 0 Passat or S-Max.

However, whenever I look into the weights of these cars its only the S-Max that seems to be capable (within the 85% consideration).

I am an experienced driver and have towed before, however with 2 young children and the options open, I want to get the best I can.

Can anyone with the charisma help?

Am i getting to hung up on the 85% rule? The cars mentioned fall around the 87%-94% ratio's.

Please advise. ........

:blink:

Do you need 4 wheel drive?

My current 2 favourites for larger vans are the Audi A6 Allroad, all wheel drive Avant estate, and the Volvo XC70, which is an all wheel drive version of the V70.

Neither fit into the "off roader" catergory, but its nice to have a bit of extra traction when needed, as well as power. Both cars in the diesel range are blisteringly good, both have self levelling suspension and both are highly regarded.

Another contender is the Mondeo estate TDCI, extremely capable and again in high spec has self levelling.

My van max is 1700 kgs, and although im not at 85%, the Audi is extremely hard to beat in my book.

The 85% rule is advisory only, and certainly so for new tuggers, but it depends on your confidence, decent loading of the van and experience. Though i would always suggest towing at as best % as possible, makes sense.

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Do you need 4 wheel drive?

My current 2 favourites for larger vans are the Audi A6 Allroad, all wheel drive Avant estate, and the Volvo XC70, which is an all wheel drive version of the V70.

Neither fit into the "off roader" catergory, but its nice to have a bit of extra traction when needed, as well as power. Both cars in the diesel range are blisteringly good, both have self levelling suspension and both are highly regarded.

Another contender is the Mondeo estate TDCI, extremely capable and again in high spec has self levelling.

My van max is 1700 kgs, and although im not at 85%, the Audi is extremely hard to beat in my book.

The 85% rule is advisory only, and certainly so for new tuggers, but it depends on your confidence, decent loading of the van and experience. Though i would always suggest towing at as best % as possible, makes sense.

Thanks for the reply. Are there any major advantages of having an auto over a manual box?

Thanks for the reply. Are there any major advantages of having an auto over a manual box?

Some people prefer the fact the car is generally never in the wrong gear, does all the shift up and shift down, and takes a lot of stress out of the driving. Then again some people like to stir the gearbox and dont like autos.

Pretty much horses for courses.

As for me, i have a manual Shogun Sport only because i couldnt get an auto derv version. I should of really got a Terracan or similar in the auto, as for me personally i think autos are the proverbial mutts nuts.

In Consilio Sapienta

The cars listed by Brassneck are ideal if you want 4wd, eg for towing off wet grass or winter motoring but don't need axle articulation for full off-road use - I use a Subaru Outback which is similar to the Audi A6 Allroad and Volvo XC70 but is only about 1500kg so not really heavy enough for your Charisma - the recent diesel versions may be over your budget.

I've changed to automatics nearly 20 years ago, I wouldn't ever have a manual from choice - the modern automatics give a sequential manual facility anyway. The fuel consumption penalty is very small, on a few cars the automatic is better than it's equivalent manual.

If you don't need 4wd, then 2wd versions of the Audi and Volvo are available but recent versions of Mondeo and Vectra are very capable and latest versions are actually bigger than the Audi/Volvo because of upsizing to replace Scorpio/Granada and Omega/Carlton.

Guest tyke65

You are talking about the lives of you wife and children. Get a Discovery. You can get a perfectly capable one from £1K to about £50k. In your price band you can get a really good one. Why compromise?

You are talking about the lives of you wife and children. Get a Discovery. You can get a perfectly capable one from £1K to about £50k. In your price band you can get a really good one. Why compromise?

For £13K, you probably wouldn't get a Discovery 3.

Guest John KS

Try this car. We have one and it tows better than most cars we have owned. It certainly better than the Sorento we had as it is more comfortable. You would get a good one for less than £13,000. The auto will not tow your van but the manual is ideal. Loads of room and very comfortable.

Got this of what towcar for you.

Kia Carens II - 2. 0 CRDi VGT [7-seats] (103 kW/138 bhp)

Date of manufacture: november 2006 - up to now

86%

1452 kg 1681 kg

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 86%.

The towing performances of this Kia with your Swift are perfect (performance index = 102 km/h or 63 mph).

You may expect excellent performances from this outfit. On flat roads it's easy to come along, in which case top gear is applicable in most cases.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On most steep roads you have sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

Edited by John KS

Hi Nad,

It's difficult to recommend a towcar becaue we don't really know what you're looking for in the vehicle apart from towing capacity. Why not make a list of suitable cars then go and look at them to see which suits you and your family?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

funny funny guy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In Consilio Sapienta

For £13K, you probably wouldn't get a Discovery 3.

And that's the only one you should consider for safety. the older ones have mixed opinions as a towcar and as a solo car they have dire handling and poor crash test results.

For £13k you could push for one of the new 2. 2TDCi high spec Mondeo Estates, one of the best handling and riding family cars on the road, first class safety kit and outstanding performance. Will be around a 90% match but as you are not a complete newbie I wouldn't be to worried. The Charisma has a wide loading margin anyway and the Mondeo Estate has a vast load bay so you could load a little more in the car.

My van has the same MTPLM as yours, I swapped from a saloon car to 4X4 but the solo compromise was just too much, I've since gone back to a saloon and don't regret it one bit.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

My Swift celeste is based on the charisma 570 Ive got a mk11 ford galaxy tdi pulls the van no probs. You would have to go for vw or a seat if you wanted the same look model if youre looking for new.

We've had a few Nissan before getting into caravanning just over 12 months ago, so another Nissan was an obvious choice for us. We knew what van we wanted and at 1500+kg I knew the car would need to be 'capable' and as a newbie tower I wanted to stay within the 85%. So we went for an X-trail. All the mod cons of a normal car with a pull of 2000kg. More than happy with the way it pulls our Bailey Bretagne and good enough for the school run too.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

We've had a few Nissan before getting into caravanning just over 12 months ago, so another Nissan was an obvious choice for us. We knew what van we wanted and at 1500+kg I knew the car would need to be 'capable' and as a newbie tower I wanted to stay within the 85%. So we went for an X-trail. All the mod cons of a normal car with a pull of 2000kg. More than happy with the way it pulls our Bailey Bretagne and good enough for the school run too.

The X Trail's kerbweight is quite low for a 4x4, with a 1500kg van you will be towing around 90-100% depending on year and spec not 85%.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I had no idea how difficult it would be to match the right car for towing and all road general use, I thought any big 2. 0L would suffice!

I've read the reports on the new Mondeo and this is clearly a suitable car, as is the S-Max. The only other spanner in the works however, is that my wife is 4ft nothing and the Mondeo is too big for her to drive around town. This is why at the moment the S-Max seems to be a better buy. The trouble is finding a decent one within my price range.

I understand that I can bing the ratio down by loading my car as the kerbweights do not include other passengers and equipment. Is the Charisma unusually heavy?

NAD

Thanks for all the advice so far. I had no idea how difficult it would be to match the right car for towing and all road general use, I thought any big 2. 0L would suffice!

I've read the reports on the new Mondeo and this is clearly a suitable car, as is the S-Max. The only other spanner in the works however, is that my wife is 4ft nothing and the Mondeo is too big for her to drive around town. This is why at the moment the S-Max seems to be a better buy. The trouble is finding a decent one within my price range.

I understand that I can bing the ratio down by loading my car as the kerbweights do not include other passengers and equipment. Is the Charisma unusually heavy?

NAD

The van you have purchased is not unusually heavy for a new van. Caravans get increased spec year on year. Your Charisma weighs the same as a Challenger did 3 years ago, that's how much the spec increases.

Lunar are perhaps the only mainstream large scale manufacturer that continue to develop high spec low weight vans, although others including Swift and Bailey sell lighter stripped out vans but you do loose the spec.

I've been towing caravans for 20 years so I'm quite comfortable with near 100% as long as the towcar is stable and powerfull enough and most importantly I load very carefully. I certainly wouldn't worry too much about going upto 90-95% if you are an OK tower and have experience in loading caravans.

Cheers

Lee

The van you have purchased is not unusually heavy for a new van. Caravans get increased spec year on year. Your Charisma weighs the same as a Challenger did 3 years ago, that's how much the spec increases.

Lunar are perhaps the only mainstream large scale manufacturer that continue to develop high spec low weight vans, although others including Swift and Bailey sell lighter stripped out vans but you do loose the spec.

I've been towing caravans for 20 years so I'm quite comfortable with near 100% as long as the towcar is stable and powerfull enough and most importantly I load very carefully. I certainly wouldn't worry too much about going upto 90-95% if you are an OK tower and have experience in loading caravans.

Cheers

Lee

If you compare caravans with similar size and specification, Baileys are lighter than Swifts but Lunars lighter still than Baileys.

If you compare caravans with similar size and specification, Baileys are lighter than Swifts but Lunars lighter still than Baileys.

Yeh but there's not much in it now Roger, 20kg to 50kg when comparing Pageant to Charisma, but in my eyes the Charisma is finished off a little better.

The Lunar Lexon range has caught my eye as it's very well specced and finished and model for model it's around 150kg lighter than the Charisma and the top end Clubman is around 200-250kg lighter than the high end Swifts.

Cheers

Lee

NAD

Its not the pulling your concerned with, its the stopping and tail wagging dog.

If the van is 1500 kgs, and the car 1300 kgs, stands to reason when you brake, the van (heavier) will push the (lighter) car. So thats a major factor in what choice of car, not its engine size or will it pull it. A mini will probably pull it, wont stop it though.

Also the tail wag. If, god forbid, you had a snaking effect a heavier van will wag the car, as opposed to the car holding the van in line.

Then power comes into play, but the weights have to be right to start with.

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta