Recharging The Battery In The Car Boot When Driving Around

al & cat

Recharging the leisure battery in the car boot when driving around .

Can any one tell me how this is done .

Thanks

Alec

2 options, either fit a proper charging system via alternator into the boot, with battery stored in a correct battery box all fitted and checked by an auto electrician.

Or. ............

use same battery box to keep battery safe and secure, purchase a 75 watt inverter from somewhere like Ebay for a tenner, plug inverter into ciggy socket, plug a battery charger into inverter, hey presto, job done.

If you have a decent charger already, the inverter will cost a tenner. ..ish. Then you can also charge up mobile phones. .....kids games etc etc etc from the same method.

This kind of thing:

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/CAR-PLUG-DC-AC-POWER. ..%3A1|240%3A1318

I use one of these in my van via a small power pack to recharge my van free of charge whenever i want. :lol:

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

If you have a cigar lighter outlet in the boot simply connect a plug to a 2-3mm guage lead making sure polarity is correct and connect the other end to the battery terminals. The battery will charge while the engine is running and cut off when not. How much you will put in will depend on how far you drive.

If your 12S is connected properly, most recent caravans will trickle charge your battery in-situ when on tow.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Not sure that I would want to drive around with a battery in the boot - just think of the mess if it topples over - acid everywhere! PLUS on some cars the back seats are not that secure which just might allow the battery to become a 'missile' in the advent of an accident or even an emergency stop!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I firmly secure my spare 110Ahr battery into the boot of my car with straps.

I use the cigarette socket in the boot BUT it is permanently connected (ie it doesn't come on and off with the ignition) so best test yours out before connecting a flat battery or you could end up with two partially charged batteries, one in the engine bay and one in the boot!

Last autumn I picked up a 10 Amp "jump lead" from ALDI or LIDL that went from the cigarette socket in one car to the cigarette in a car with a flat battery.

By adapting the end that was intended for the car with the flat battery I can connect it to my battery in the boot and all is well with no more than 10 Amp flowing.

It should be noted that if you put a flat battery in the boot then the current could initially hit a peak of 13 - 14 Amps so make sure any cables and connectors used are "man enough for the job".

G.

Edited by chapmag

Guest tyke65

It's not worth the effort of carting a battery around in the boot for the length of time/journey it would take to charge it up. Just run a grey extension lead from the car to the grey plug on the van and use the car's battery. It's then got all the proper circuitry to charge it up.

If you do go for the battery in the boot option (VERY safely secured of course, there was a Fifth Gear repeat on Dave not long ago which showed how essential this is) then go for an AGM battery. No spills.

If you do go for the battery in the boot option (VERY safely secured of course, there was a Fifth Gear repeat on Dave not long ago which showed how essential this is) then go for an AGM battery. No spills.

Hi Tyke,

Good advice which should be followed, especially for those who let their children travel unrestrained in the car,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I use the cigarette socket in the boot BUT it is permanently connected (ie it doesn't come on and off with the ignition) so best test yours out before connecting a flat battery or you could end up with two partially charged batteries, one in the engine bay and one in the boot!

Last autumn I picked up a 10 Amp "jump lead" from ALDI or LIDL that went from the cigarette socket in one car to the cigarette in a car with a flat battery.

By adapting the end that was intended for the car with the flat battery I can connect it to my battery in the boot and all is well with no more than 10 Amp flowing.

It should be noted that if you put a flat battery in the boot then the current could initially hit a peak of 13 - 14 Amps so make sure any cables and connectors used are "man enough for the job".

G.

If the the cigarette socket in the boot is permanetly connect you can use a Self-Switching Combination Relay that will prevent it from flattening the car battery when the engine is not running.

Recharging the leisure battery in the car boot when driving around .

Can any one tell me how this is done .

Thanks

Alec

For many years now I have secured the spare battery in the boot with bungees and fixed a lead to the battery and on the other end is a 12s plug with the wires connected to the fridge connectors in the plug and just plugged into the 12s socket. the cable will go into the boot through the boot opening as the rubber seals cusion the cable and stop it being chopped. This way the charging is automatic and is ignition controlled, so no danger of flattening your vehicle battery, like the fridge when your engine is off no charging. Has worked for me for many long rallies upto a fortnight working with two batteries 1 in the boot and 1 in the van. The real secret is not to flatten your batteries too far before charging.

Freelander SD4, & 2014 Swift Ace Statesman

For many years now I have secured the spare battery in the boot with bungees
I have reservations over using elastic bungies to prevent a battery from breaking loose in the event of an accident, but I like the simplicity of using an existing installed charging system in this way. A simple modification would be to install a fixed battery box and fit 12S socket in the boot, so long as sufficient ventilation is provided for the charging battery.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

If the the cigarette socket in the boot is permanetly connect you can use a Self-Switching Combination Relay that will prevent it from flattening the car battery when the engine is not running.

The majority of cars cut out the lighter circuit when the car is not running and the key is in the off position.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

One of our cars has been converted to have the battery fitted in the boot (not for caravanning reasons), a local exhaust builder/welder created the box for it in the boot then it was all wired through correctly. This is of course a safer way of carrying the battery in the boot, having a proper metal box made for it which is secured to the car.

Edited by lil_me

The majority of cars cut out the lighter circuit when the car is not running and the key is in the off position.

Mondeo is permanent live.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Guest tyke65
For many years now I have secured the spare battery in the boot with bungees and fixed a lead to the battery and on the other end is a 12s plug with the wires connected to the fridge connectors in the plug and just plugged into the 12s socket. the cable will go into the boot through the boot opening as the rubber seals cusion the cable and stop it being chopped. This way the charging is automatic and is ignition controlled, so no danger of flattening your vehicle battery, like the fridge when your engine is off no charging. Has worked for me for many long rallies upto a fortnight working with two batteries 1 in the boot and 1 in the van. The real secret is not to flatten your batteries too far before charging.

No way. For many years now you have laboured under the dangerous misconception that you have been securing the battery with bungees. How can something elastic be considered to be securing something as heavy as a battery. The words 'secure' and 'bungee' cannot be used in the same sentence. You have, in fact, been driving around with a loaded and primed bomb in your boot.

No way. For many years now you have laboured under the dangerous misconception that you have been securing the battery with bungees. How can something elastic be considered to be securing something as heavy as a battery. The words 'secure' and 'bungee' cannot be used in the same sentence. You have, in fact, been driving around with a loaded and primed bomb in your boot.

WOW . . the best over-reaction I have seen in a long while . .. :)

Guest tyke65

A statement of fact cannot be classed as an over reaction. I'm thinking of the kid's head that would be taken off before the battery did the same to the driver. Or, if at the other side of the boot, before it did the same to the driver's wife.

Edited by tyke65

I have reservations over using elastic bungies to prevent a battery from breaking loose in the event of an accident, but I like the simplicity of using an existing installed charging system in this way. A simple modification would be to install a fixed battery box and fit 12S socket in the boot, so long as sufficient ventilation is provided for the charging battery.

Hi Gordon,

From a proffesional point of view I fully agree as a lot of force is exerted in collision situations and bungees are not really suitable. The reason a subsantial battery box is advised, apart from the stopping the battery breaking loose, is to prevent the leakage of battery acid. There I go again Mr Safety First :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

A statement of fact cannot be classed as an over reaction. I'm thinking of the kid's head that would be taken off before the battery did the same to the driver. Or, if at the other side of the boot, before it did the same to the driver's wife.

Hi Tyke,

No over reaction there just plain truth,

Regards,

Ian.

The use of a battery box is a good idea to contain any spilt acid, however slight the risk, but then the battery box needs to be securely fixed. I doubt that many of those who do carry an extra battery have it properly secured - it takes too much drilling/welding/cutting to the car for most people to bother.

The use of a battery box is a good idea to contain any spilt acid, however slight the risk, but then the battery box needs to be securely fixed. I doubt that many of those who do carry an extra battery have it properly secured - it takes too much drilling/welding/cutting to the car for most people to bother.

The company who did ours charged about £40 or £50 I think, but we were getting about £800 in other work done at the same time.

Assuming you have 12s electrics then just splice in an additional wire from the charging pin (not sure what it is off the top of my head) and another wire terminated to a suitable ground point. If you croc clips make sure they're the type that are fitted into a socket so you don't end up shorting everything out.

As for keeping a battery in the boot, I'm sure you're capable of making your own decision!!

When I fitted my battery box in the boot I coupled it up to the relay for the caravan, this way it would only be on charge when the engine was running.

When I bought the battery box it came with a securing strap & 4 tiny screws to fasten it down :mellow:

I replaced the the screws & used 4 seat belt mounting brackets with large body washers on the underside I have a strap around the box & one over the top of it.

maybe the bungy strap idea would be handy in case there was an accident, then after the battery had flown around the car it would go back into the box :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Beware of using "cigarette lighter" type socket for charging batteries. Most are rated at 10 amps but a battery may draw well in excess of that initially and the contact is not reliable for high currents and a poor contact causes heating. Better to use a Hella type plug and socket where the centre pin on the plug locks onto the socket section. Link here Hella plug and socket

Beware of using "cigarette lighter" type socket for charging batteries. Most are rated at 10 amps but a battery may draw well in excess of that initially and the contact is not reliable for high currents and a poor contact causes heating. Better to use a Hella type plug and socket where the centre pin on the plug locks onto the socket section. Link here Hella plug and socket

Good post - I wouldn't trust this type of connection either - it's just convenience above safety.

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

The cigarette plug must have a fuse fitted to prevent this and just as importantly to stop a direct short across the spare battery should the plug be detached from the socket and the pins come into contact with metal, as long as thats done it's a safe way to do it.

Edited by Elm6