Trackers

pandas

After watching the video on "stolen in broad daylight" has got me thinking! Has anybody got any thoughts or experience on having a tracker fitted.

I'm getting a complex now nobody wants to talk to me! surely someone must have a view?

Hi

My parents have one fitted in their motorhome and unfortunately I am first on the list of numbers to call if the tracker activates. Which has happen a few times when they have forgotten to deactivate it. Though it shows the system works,its not funny when it happens in the middle of the night!!

We have recently changed our caravan and our new van comes with tracker fitted. This has reduced our van insurance by £80, which is only £20 short of the yearly subscription. The tracker switches on/off with the alarm controller.

Its a bit of piece of mind but if a low life wants something no matter what prevention is put into place they will take it.

I think that this has been discussed elswhere and a number of points were raised.

The cost to have fitted and subscription, the saving on your policy which compared to the cost is not a lot.

Also depending on which system you have a jamming device can be purchased very cheeply to block the signal (yes I know there are illegal but so is stealing caravans).

Would you want your van back if someone has broken in to it gone through your posessions. I had mine stolen a few years back the assessor assured me when he visited me the same day that I would be better off with a new van from the insurance company as he had seen many times the state of some of the vans after they had been stolen and recovered a few hours later.

I think that this has been discussed elswhere and a number of points were raised.

The cost to have fitted and subscription, the saving on your policy which compared to the cost is not a lot.

Also depending on which system you have a jamming device can be purchased very cheeply to block the signal (yes I know there are illegal but so is stealing caravans).

Would you want your van back if someone has broken in to it gone through your posessions. I had mine stolen a few years back the assessor assured me when he visited me the same day that I would be better off with a new van from the insurance company as he had seen many times the state of some of the vans after they had been stolen and recovered a few hours later.

Thanks chaps for all your views, Yes Ok the signal can be blocked assuming they know a tracker is installed but apparently the blocker battery is only a few hours so the chances are the tracker could call home at some point. Would I want it back? perhaps not but what about your insurance premium when you want to insure your replacement. Sky high I would think. I'm still undecided but leaning towards one. ..

They work well. We have forgotten to deactivate a couple of times, battery disconnection at service also triggers activation. Triggers are followed by a friendly phone call. One trigger was from high winds in Wiltshire whilst I was working in London. Very reassuring.

They work well. We have forgotten to deactivate a couple of times, battery disconnection at service also triggers activation. Triggers are followed by a friendly phone call. One trigger was from high winds in Wiltshire whilst I was working in London. Very reassuring.

Thanks Dave thats very positive.

Thanks chaps for all your views, Yes Ok the signal can be blocked assuming they know a tracker is installed but apparently the blocker battery is only a few hours so the chances are the tracker could call home at some point. Would I want it back? perhaps not but what about your insurance premium when you want to insure your replacement. Sky high I would think. I'm still undecided but leaning towards one. ..

I did a quick Google for tracker blocker and found a blocker (URL link removed by Admin) which could last a long time if connect to a 110 volt battery or indefinitely if it's a 12 volt transformed mains supply, and you can bet they have a way of knowing if a tracker is fitted to the caravan they want to nick, as well as a way of finding where the tracker devise is concealed.

But a Tracker might just make them go and nick the caravan down the road that doesn't have one fitted instead of yours

Fit a personal tracker - no ongoing costs other than the mobile phone payg costs. I have one fitted and only I know where it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I often check the location of the 'van and it is always where I expect it to be !! It will also send me a message if it moves !!!!!!!

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Fit a personal tracker - no ongoing costs other than the mobile phone payg costs. I have one fitted and only I know where it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I often check the location of the 'van and it is always where I expect it to be !! It will also send me a message if it moves !!!!!!!

Gerry

Sneaky

Gerry

Hi Gerry

Mobile phone blockers are cheaper than GPS blockers and have way more battery life so don't be complacent,

it may be that your mobile based tracker when 'blocked' is treated as an activation but don't bank on it.

£35 on ebay for a mobile phone jammer, what did your system cost and how much insurance discount for it?

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Guest John KS

Gerry

I agree Gerry. We use Alarmtrail. Works well and it will tell us if it moves. If the thief wants the van he will take it, phone blockers or not. Just like to know it has gone. Checked mine this morning it is where it should be. Being serviced!!!!!!