Trust Your Sat Nav?

phil1041

The attached says it all really, i presume the Sat Nav he was using was built into his car but not sure.

http://news. sky. com/skynews/Home/UK-News/S. ..igation_Device_

Like the witness said, use your eyes!!

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I've just seen that story on my internet news. How stupid can you be? :blink::blink::blink:

Mikey

Nearly as bad, but not quite. I followed the sat nav on the way to Leek last week and near the A515 to A52 junction the sat nav directed me down Green Lane to cut off the corner, it would have been OK with just the car but the caravan made it a bit hairy. On the way home I went the long way round but I saw a couple of Artics turn onto that road, bet they had some fun :D

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Its Beggars belief that somebody could be so thick, i hope he prosecuted for his stupidity and his insurance company refuses to pay out

Hi neil and lena

I have a SatNav that can be handheld or cycle mounted or used in a car, if the satnav says use the M6

and I'm not in the car I don't - seems some motorists lack the common sense to do the same. ..

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

2. Bridgnorth, Shropshire: Drivers directed to non-existent bridge over the Severn.

Taken from Phil's Sky link.

This is a classic because if you look at a map, it clearly shows that there is not a bridge anywhere near but a ferry, in fact when you now turn off the main road into the lane leading down to the river there is a large sign saying ‘Sat Nav Error’ for what it's worth.

I was fishing at Hampton Loade once when a caravaner turned up bewildered to find This

No chance of getting a car and van onto this ferry :unsure:

Nearest bridge to this is at Bridgnorth some 5-6 miles away.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

So if his sat nav instructed him to drive off the end of a quay, he would then? Idiot.

Good job there weren't any walkers on the footpath, otherwise he may be looking at more than a prosecution for not driving with due care and attention.

I never just trust a satnav without consulting either a map or AA autoroute, but that's my own method, I am not judging others who do rely on it solely. I think you can get "sucked in" to following like a automoton, every route change the voice from the satnav tells you.

Mind you, that car is a BMW isn't it? Says it all really. (Ducks for cover!!!) ;)

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Its Beggars belief that somebody could be so thick, i hope he prosecuted for his stupidity and his insurance company refuses to pay out

Hi,

It begs the question of whether this person should ever be allowed back on public roads?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi,

It begs the question of whether this person should ever be allowed back on public roads?

Regards,

Ian.

Agreed, get totally fed up with people turning up at our caravan park to deliver things, even artics because WE are the centre of the damn post code ! Some of them get really shirty when you tell them they are in a 7. 5 ton weight limit & couldn't they see the sign that said "END OF INDUSTRIAL AREA" . Mind you it's fun watching them try to reverse 1/4 mile round blind 90degree bends on our narrow country lane :P . To many people think a sat nav is God & follow it without question & half ( or more) lorry drivers should know better anyway . Still they don't like it when the police arrive to see why they can't read signs :D

Only ever had one booked for it though . :angry:

I will never trust or use a Sat Nav again I have a Navman 520i that is now back in its box (never to be opened ) and the built in Sat Nav in my 06 BMW530D will never ever ever be used . I am going back to a map

ACE Award Firestar + BMW 530d + Yamaha fazer 1000 for touring

Geoff-C. ..If your passing my office in Stockton throw your 'old' Sat-Nav through the door as I fancy trying one without buying one!...even 'just a lend'?

Being in transport most lorry drivers,especially the foreign ones based here, could never find anywhere without them. ...but it always seems to be them that follow them blindly. ..we hear some hairy stories that never get to the press.

cheers

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Most sat navs can be configured for different ways of getting from a to b.

I would suggest, like the guy in the story above, a LOT of horror stories are by people who have absolutely no idea at all how to set the things up.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

You have to have common sense and use a map as well as the sat nav if in doubt, a couple of years ago we were near Grasse and thought we would camp at the munisable camp looked at the map thought better of it, camped a few miles out side of Grasse, went for a drive thought we would just have a look to see where the camp site was with the car ended up half way up a hill with houses all a round at a dead end, god knowes what we would have done on a slope with the caravan. :huh:

Edited by hairdresser

You have to have common sense and use a map as well as the sat nav if in doubt, a couple of years ago we were near Grasse and thought we would camp at the munisable camp looked at the map thought better of it, camped a few miles out side of Grasse, went for a drive thought we would just have a look to see where the camp site was with the car ended up half way up a hill with houses all a round at a dead end, god knowes what we would have done on a slope with the caravan. :huh:

Welcome back -- Hairdresser -- havent seen you for ages ---

Are you still doing the "grand tours" of Europe !!

We did a similar thing -- but with the van on the back !! what a prat I felt -- had to un hitch turn the van round by hand and then some how get the car past and up a 1 in 4 slope !!! the cluch smelt a bit !!!

AND -- I had --"I told you not to go down there !!!"

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club