Fao The Explorer Group Team

FM02MZO

I imagine that David has seen the article I started In 'Caravan Holidays Abroad' under the heading 'Long Outfits in Spain'.

We are regular travellers to Spain, our coupled length is over 12 metres and it appears that we will now have to have long vehicle marker board fitted to the rear of our caravans.

The Spanish law states that you can either have two boards 25cm x 50cm or one board 130cm x 25cm these have to be made of aluminim and be 1. 4mm thick + or - 0. 01mm.

Ideally we would like to just fit these on the Spanish border and then remove them when travelling home, so I am looking for ideas on how to fix them and not invalidate the warranty.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

I imagine that David has seen the article I started In 'Caravan Holidays Abroad' under the heading 'Long Outfits in Spain'.

We are regular travellers to Spain, our coupled length is over 12 metres and it appears that we will now have to have long vehicle marker board fitted to the rear of our caravans.

The Spanish law states that you can either have two boards 25cm x 50cm or one board 130cm x 25cm these have to be made of aluminim and be 1. 4mm thick + or - 0. 01mm.

Ideally we would like to just fit these on the Spanish border and then remove them when travelling home, so I am looking for ideas on how to fix them and not invalidate the warranty.

Don't wish to be too pedantic, but, i think you will find that i started this thread. !

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Phil - you're quite correct.

Terry - if you want them to be removeable I suggest treating them like removeable number plate, using velcro stuck to the plates and the bodywork - they might look better left on, though.

Phil - you're quite correct.

Terry - if you want them to be removeable I suggest treating them like removeable number plate, using velcro stuck to the plates and the bodywork - they might look better left on, though.

The U. K. is one of the few E. C countries that doesn't specify how plates have to be fixed. Considering the amount of plate theft and cloning perhaps that should change along with proper control of plate suppliers. The existing arrangement which permits "show plates" to be sold is a joke.

Don't wish to be too pedantic, but, i think you will find that i started this thread. !

Phil.

Hi Phil

I have to sincerely apologise on behalf of my better half, as I asked her to write and ask for methods of securing the boards and she obviously thought that I had started it off.

Regards
Terry Birch

Hi Phil

I have to sincerely apologise on behalf of my better half, as I asked her to write and ask for methods of securing the boards and she obviously thought that I had started it off.

Please, its no problem i was just being a little pedantic in my old age.

I will be interested in the answer to your question though, as i intend to visit Spain in the Autumn with the van.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

In order to fit these plates I would recommend the use of a non drying IDL tape. This will fix the plate securely for travelling but still enable the plates to be removed upon arrival.

When we carry out any tow testing this is what we use to fix the number plate to the caravan.

Hope this helps

Regards

David.

From 22/05/15 no longer working for Elddis

In order to fit these plates I would recommend the use of a non drying IDL tape. This will fix the plate securely for travelling but still enable the plates to be removed upon arrival.

When we carry out any tow testing this is what we use to fix the number plate to the caravan.

Hope this helps

Regards

David.

Many thanks for the reply David.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is IDL tape

Regards
Terry Birch

• 4 weeks later...

Since David suggested an IDL tape for attaching the marker boards to the rear of the caravan whilst in Spain, I have searched almost everywhere and failed to come up with any. But I have found a product called Caraseal IDL 99, which is listed as a non-drying bedding sealant, which is made by Carafax Ltd of Hull, and I wondered if this was the same thing only in a cartridge.

If anyone knows of a supplier for IDL tape, I am pretty sure that a lot of subscribers would appreciate the answer.

Regards
Terry Birch