Front Towbars

Bobinet

Hi All

Just seen the website for front towbar and contacted the local garage. They said that Watling do the front tows for Mondeos saloon and hatchbacks so I guess my TDCi Estate would be ok. Price quoted is £160 inc plus extra for the al ko ball. I have a wide driveway and about 14ft depth so basically pushing the van up at 45 degrees for a few feet then move to the right into the parking place. Not sure if a small hole in the grill is needed.

what do you think? Front towbar v Shifta v Mover ?

Thanks

Bobby :o

Really difficult to say not seeing the exact location.

I have quite a big area in front of my house but narrow access. Now we are getting on a bit we had a motor mover fitted to our last 2 vans and have never looked back.

When I am not caravanning I fish from a 14' boat on the Broads and in Ireland and I find the front tow bar invaluable for some of the tricky slipways but I have never needed it, yet, on the caravan. .

Bill

A mover is far more practical, in that it can be used wherever the space for the caravan - the downside of a front towball is that you can only use it where there's room for both car and caravan, you can only use it where the car can grip - and even then you can't use it to rotate the caravan on it's own axle.

I can see the benefit of a front towball, compared to nothing, but it would be a mover every time for me

I had a front tow bracket made for my Frontera, it made reversing the caravan off the road, up the drive and round the side of the house a dream.

I then changed the car to an Xtrail and bought a smaller caravan so I never got round to having one made for the Xtrail.

Now that I'm changing back to a bigger caravan I'm having a motor mover fitted as I've got the money to spend on one, if I hadn't I'd have had a front tow bar fitted.

If you can afford the extra money, to fit a fixed mover, do it.

A front tow ball may be a bit easier if you have problems reversing, but can be a bother droping of and picking back up.

with mover drop caravan press buttons no problems.

Happy Caravaning

Monty

If you can afford the extra money, to fit a fixed mover, do it.

A front tow ball may be a bit easier if you have problems reversing, but can be a bother droping of and picking back up.

with mover drop caravan press buttons no problems.

Happy Caravaning

Monty

Woohaaaa Mister, not so quick on the "problems reversing" quote.

I dont have any problems reversing my caravan, but its easier with some other help such as a mover or similar. But movers dont work due to my driveway/road/access. Like ive said before they are brilliant if they fit into certain parameters, but not everyone does.

So a front towball is bang on the button for me and works far better than a mover ever did, any of the ones i tried.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Bobinet,

A neighbour of mine with a Mondeo got hold of a spare towing eye that screwed into the point on his front bumper and had a towball fixed onto that so all he had to do was screw the towing eye in and hitch up and cost a lot less that the £160 you have been quoted. You will probably pick up a towing eye off fleabay for under £20 with postage. Just a thought.

Edited by ad210358