Nose Weight

Dave m

Hi all new ish to the forum i have posted other bits but i was wondering if anyone has problems with the major five nose weight it seems to be pretty high(i think) without any kit in it only cushions and gas bottle, spare wheel in underslung carrier at the back. It is about 60/65 kg empty i have to put heavyier stuff at the back if i want to put anything near the front so as i'm not over the 75kg of the nose weight limit on the tow bar of car. The battery and water heater are at the front which is going to add to the weight but i would of thought that the rest of the van would at the other end would help in getting the nose weight down a bit better than it is. I did hear from princejim who does have a simlar probs but i'm am worried about see saw effect the van might develop. Good van otherwise and really like it.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Apparently there are some 'vans with a heavier noseweight, when empty, than yours. Ours is around about the same as yours and I have no problem achieving a 60kg noseweight.

If you tow with water in the heater it will influence the noseweight as well as the payload so I always tow with it empty,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Dave,

Apparently there are some 'vans with a heavier noseweight, when empty, than yours. Ours is around about the same as yours and I have no problem achieving a 60kg noseweight.

If you tow with water in the heater it will influence the noseweight as well as the payload so I always tow with it empty,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian yes i'm sure that there are a lot of vans with a heavier nose weight but i was a little suprised at the weight of ours being a relativly light and basic van. I did check that the water heater is empty, i dread to think of what the nose weight would be if it was full but i would not tow with water in there or the loo.

Thanks Dave

Hi Ian yes i'm sure that there are a lot of vans with a heavier nose weight but i was a little suprised at the weight of ours being a relativly light and basic van. I did check that the water heater is empty, i dread to think of what the nose weight would be if it was full but i would not tow with water in there or the loo.

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure that the weight of the 'van is the issue as I believe it's the balance of the 'van that influences the noseweight. Speaking of the hot water tank, ours is in front of the axle and I didn't realise that the Dealer had left it full when I picked up the 'van. it caused me a right headache trying to get the noseweight down :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Caravans are (or should be) designed to have a reasonable noseweight when fully laden with items in their appropriate compartments, eg battery in battery box, gas cylinders in gas locker, chilled/frozen food/drink in fridge, clothes in wardrobe etc. Because layouts of caravans vary widely, the effect of unloading every compartment varies widely as well so the unladen noseweight varies equally widely.

As a matter of interest -- how much does the water in the heater tank weigh -- we never empty ours -- but if it is significant it might be worth considering.

We generally balance the van "about the axle" when all the "fixed things" are in place [gas - wheel -and stuff in the front locker] and adjust things accordingly to get the best weight for our car [75Kg]

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Most caravans nowadays have the small Truma Ultrastore which is 10 litres, so 10kg.

There is also a large Truma Ultrastore which is 14 litres.

The Carver Cascade mk1 was 9 litres - I'm not sure about the mk2 onwards, 10 litres I think.

As a matter of interest -- how much does the water in the heater tank weigh -- we never empty ours -- but if it is significant it might be worth considering.

We generally balance the van "about the axle" when all the "fixed things" are in place [gas - wheel -and stuff in the front locker] and adjust things accordingly to get the best weight for our car [75Kg]

Maurice

I never empty water out either.

Is that why you sometimes see sites with round patches of brown grass, because people empty out hot water on to it?

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

1litre of water equals 1kg so a 10l tank will be carrying 10kg of extra weight which is quite a lot.

Hi Artleknock,

I don't empty water onto a pitch I wait until I'm on an access road but I have seen examples of people doing so,

Regards,

Ian.

Maurice

We do generally balence the van to keep the nose weight down but i worry about the see saw effect as we have to put more weight to the back if we put anything else at the front. It makes it a little worse when we load the fridge as that is just to the front of the axle. To empty the water we just switch the heater off as soon as we have done with it and it cools down so we can empty it and it does not burn the grass.

Dave

We do generally balence the van to keep the nose weight down but i worry about the see saw effect as we have to put more weight to the back if we put anything else at the front. It makes it a little worse when we load the fridge as that is just to the front of the axle. To empty the water we just switch the heater off as soon as we have done with it and it cools down so we can empty it and it does not burn the grass.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have read of the need not to put heavy objects to the rear to stop a pendulum affect but I often wonder about end kitchen 'vans with a heavy cooker/fridge on the back wall. How come they aren't all suffering from the problem?

Regards,

Ian.

Guest John KS
Hi Dave,

I have read of the need not to put heavy objects to the rear to stop a pendulum affect but I often wonder about end kitchen 'vans with a heavy cooker/fridge on the back wall. How come they aren't all suffering from the problem?

Regards,

Ian.

Think it might be because most are two berth and they are shorter in length.

Hi Dave,

Regards,

Ian.

In the Bailey Ranger 460/2, that I owned a few years ago, the only way to get the correct noseweight was to put the awning in the end washroom. I never noticed any pendulum effect with that, never had any problems towing. I think the Fen roads would show up any difficulty in that area :lol:

In my current van the Aquaroll and Wastemaster go under the fixed bed along with the Sat dish and hook up cable. All other heavy items are as close to the axle as possible.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

In the Bailey Ranger 460/2, that I owned a few years ago, the only way to get the correct noseweight was to put the awning in the end washroom. I never noticed any pendulum effect with that, never had any problems towing. I think the Fen roads would show up any difficulty in that area :lol:

In my current van the Aquaroll and Wastemaster go under the fixed bed along with the Sat dish and hook up cable. All other heavy items are as close to the axle as possible.

Hi

I also put the waste master/aquaroll at the back of the ban to get the nose weight down as well as bedding and a few clothes its just that it would be nice to put clothes/towels and bits and bobs all in their lockers and cubby holes. I had not thought of end kitchen vans but as said before they are usually shorter than my sprite.

Dave

I'm picking up a new Sprite Major 5 in April, so I'll take note of this as I had the same problem with my current caravan Ace Jubilee Rallyman 2 berth with end Kitchen, as others have stated I thought I'd have problems with a too "light" a nose weight I had to put items towards the back of the caravan and fill the toilet flush to get any where near a 75kg nose weight and that was with all the rear kitchen cupboards stocked with food, pots and pans etc.

I'm having a motor mover fitted but I'd imagine that will have no affect on the noseweight being close to the wheels, so it'll be an interesting exercise placing every thing in the right place and I'm sure there'll be an argument with SWMBO when she insist that things go where she wants them to go.

I'm picking up a new Sprite Major 5 in April, so I'll take note of this as I had the same problem with my current caravan Ace Jubilee Rallyman 2 berth with end Kitchen, as others have stated I thought I'd have problems with a too "light" a nose weight I had to put items towards the back of the caravan and fill the toilet flush to get any where near a 75kg nose weight and that was with all the rear kitchen cupboards stocked with food, pots and pans etc.

I'm having a motor mover fitted but I'd imagine that will have no affect on the noseweight being close to the wheels, so it'll be an interesting exercise placing every thing in the right place and I'm sure there'll be an argument with SWMBO when she insist that things go where she wants them to go.

Hi Elm6

I suppose it will depend on what towcar you have as to wether the nose weight is a problem if its a car or 4x4 with a higher than 75 kg rated then you won't have any probs. Apart from the nose weight probs(i think we are being a bit picky to call it a problem) we have really enjoyed our sprite major five ours is a 2008 model but i think that there have been no changes to it and its a easy van to use. The only thing to keep an eye on is the front window it tends to bow in when towing leaving strange marks inbetween the 2 panes but as yours is a new van it will probably have the new designed window on which hopefully wont do the same, we have had the new design window fitted but have not towed with it yet so fingers crossed for this weekend when we are away for the first time since we went away at new year.

Dave

I have always found that I have to use the awning to balance out the noseweight, sometimes moving it well to the back but I have never (touching wood) had any instability problems. When I had a van with the hot water tank at the back I would normally leave that full as well but now I have the tank at the front I have to empty it - I let it drain into a bucket and then tip away so that it does not damage grass. I have also switched to calor lite gas bottles and tried to cut back on the amount of "junk" that accumulates in the front locker. However there are loads of people out there who seem not to bother at all about noseweight issues and get away with it. My personal attitude is so long as you don't exceed the noseweight then driving sensibly is the most important factor.

Ken

Lunar Quasar 525 & Vauxhall Zafira 1. 9d (150)

The very first caravan we bought was a second hand 1970's sprite major 5 berth the chassis was made from angle iron, it didn't have a fridge and the lighting was by gas mantels, it had a foot pump for the water and the gas bottles sat on a bracket on the A frame open to view, we had a Carver gas fire fitted, what luxury :D

I fitted an electric pump in addition to the foot pump and a couple of 12 volt lights, used a bucket of water to keep the milk fresh and was given an awning we had many years of great caravanning only changing the caravan in 1988.

I would still be quite happy with a basic caravan not quite as basic as this, perhaps a fridge, water heater, shower and of course the cassette toilet and I'd keep a couple of gas lights they create a very soothing affect flickering with the occasional hiss and pop and they are a good back up if the battery runs down as we do most of our caravan with out an EHU. Thats really what I'm after a caravan that will work with out electricity if it's not available.

Rather than the recent effort to make an all electric caravan perhaps the manufacturers could try to make a caravan that can be used should there be no electric.

I've always put heavy items like the awning in the car as I prefer to make the car as heavy as I can whilst keeping the weight of the caravan down.

I have always found that I have to use the awning to balance out the noseweight, sometimes moving it well to the back but I have never (touching wood) had any instability problems. When I had a van with the hot water tank at the back I would normally leave that full as well but now I have the tank at the front I have to empty it - I let it drain into a bucket and then tip away so that it does not damage grass. I have also switched to calor lite gas bottles and tried to cut back on the amount of "junk" that accumulates in the front locker. However there are loads of people out there who seem not to bother at all about noseweight issues and get away with it. My personal attitude is so long as you don't exceed the noseweight then driving sensibly is the most important factor.

Ken

Hi

I don't usually carry the awning in the van, usually in the boot we swapped to a calor lite as well, it did seem to make a bit of difference to the nose wieght. I cleared out the front locker as well and as you say sometimes when folks turn up on site there is alot of stuff in the front locker,i think i'll do just as you say and not worry about it.

Ta Dave

The very first caravan we bought was a second hand 1970's sprite major 5 berth the chassis was made from angle iron, it didn't have a fridge and the lighting was by gas mantels, it had a foot pump for the water and the gas bottles sat on a bracket on the A frame open to view, we had a Carver gas fire fitted, what luxury :D

I fitted an electric pump in addition to the foot pump and a couple of 12 volt lights, used a bucket of water to keep the milk fresh and was given an awning we had many years of great caravanning only changing the caravan in 1988.

I would still be quite happy with a basic caravan not quite as basic as this, perhaps a fridge, water heater, shower and of course the cassette toilet and I'd keep a couple of gas lights they create a very soothing affect flickering with the occasional hiss and pop and they are a good back up if the battery runs down as we do most of our caravan with out an EHU. Thats really what I'm after a caravan that will work with out electricity if it's not available.

Rather than the recent effort to make an all electric caravan perhaps the manufacturers could try to make a caravan that can be used should there be no electric.

I've always put heavy items like the awning in the car as I prefer to make the car as heavy as I can whilst keeping the weight of the caravan down.

It looks like you are going full circle i think the newer sprite has everything that you need in a van(apart from a microwave maybe) so i hope you are as happy with yours when you get it as we are with ours.

Dave

Elm6 A breath of fresh air -- for "old style" caravaning. . foot pumps -- jigging up and down doing the washing up !

the water bucket for the Milk -- did you have a "Blue" tent as well . . and damp paper. .

I agree about the caravan trying to go all electric -- it would be easier to make it all gas I would think. .

I still have a couple of brand new gas mantles still in my garage -- waiting to be tied on !

We must be too old for this generation of caravaner's

Maurice

Edited by MauriceH

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Elm6 A breath of fresh air -- for "old style" caravaning. . foot pumps -- jigging up and down doing the washing up !

the water bucket for the Milk -- did you have a "Blue" tent as well . . and damp paper. .

I agree about the caravan trying to go all electric -- it would be easier to make it all gas I would think. .

I still have a couple of brand new gas mantles still in my garage -- waiting to be tied on !

We must be too old for this generation of caravaner's

Maurice

Hey Maurice it was a posh caravan even then, we had a toilet compartment in the caravan, you had to be careful though when using the "toilet Bucket" after it had been emptied, it was a long drop down to the fresh blue elsan and splash backs hitting the wrong spot, could bring tears to your eyes :D

Hi,

Our first 'van had a foot pump and a gas mantle which used to be very atmospheric, good times but I wouldn't like to go back there :D,

Regards,

Ian.