150 Watt Inverters

This year we would like to move away from the commercial sites and enjoy the quieter and more out of the way rallies and cl/cs.

I have two batteries a 85ah and a 110ah, my question is if i run the the caravan and 12v TV on the 85ah battery and keep the 110ah battery to run a 150w inverter will this run my sky satellite system and how long would i expect the battery last.

regards

Alec

About 3 hrs if you're lucky!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Using the Sky 12v Pace Mini Box and a 10" 12v Television running from a fully charged 110A battery I get about 30 hours use, in about 4 hour bursts. The rest of the caravan runs on a seperate 110A battery.

This system is most used when we go to scout camp sites where there is no electricity. My dear lady wife, who is disabled, watches tv, with headphones, during the night when she cannot get to sleep

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Using the Sky 12v Pace Mini Box and a 10" 12v Television running from a fully charged 110A battery I get about 30 hours use, in about 4 hour bursts. The rest of the caravan runs on a seperate 110A battery.

This system is most used when we go to scout camp sites where there is no electricity. My dear lady wife, who is disabled, watches tv, with headphones, during the night when she cannot get to sleep

Thanks SuperMike, could you let me know where you got your 12v Pace box from and are they pricey, what type of dish do they use.

We at the moment use a domestic sky system.

Thanks

Alec

Why not pick CL's/CS's with EHU ?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks SuperMike, could you let me know where you got your 12v Pace box from and are they pricey, what type of dish do they use.

Thanks

Alec

try maplins as they do a satellite system in a suitcase, the dish isnt upto much so use your standard sky dish, but it does give you a universal 12v satellite receiver.

i have this setup and it offers loads of channels, no good if you wish to use a viewing card though

***** old tow car + ***** old caravan!. .....new tow car in eight weeks.

This year we would like to move away from the commercial sites and enjoy the quieter and more out of the way rallies and cl/cs.

I have two batteries a 85ah and a 110ah, my question is if i run the the caravan and 12v TV on the 85ah battery and keep the 110ah battery to run a 150w inverter will this run my sky satellite system and how long would i expect the battery last.

regards

Alec

Hi Alec

I will try and be a little more "informative" :rolleyes:

I run the following direct from 12v 110amp battery - 19" Avtec TV which uses 4. 3amps per hour. My Pace Javelin Sky box also on 12v is minimal probably 0. 5amp (your Sky box via inverter will probably use approx 1amp hr).

A 110amp hr battery capacity should only be used to approx 50% so that is 55amp hrs. That is about 11 hours use before you need to recharge your 110amp battery.

This could be done by recharging in the car boot when driving around (quite a few previous posts on how to do this). You could use a Solar Panel but this will really only give you a "trickle charge" of a couple of Amps an Hour in UK. A generator if you want to be really unpopular. Or as stated above probably best if you use CL/CS type with EHU which is becoming pretty common these days.

If you were really serious about non EHU caravanning then there are the new generation Smart Fuel Cells (which I have fitted - but that is serious money to give you that type of freedom & convenience which is probably not economically justifiable for your needs right now. The price of this technology will come down eventually as it becomes more "main stream" but not for a good few years yet.

The Maplin/Lidl/Aldi Sat in a briefcase is ok for the UK - but the Maxview 65cm setup is great for both UK & a lot of Europe.

As for Sat Receiver - The Pace Javelin (no longer made but can still get if you do a Google search) is very good but cost approx £199. If I was you I would invest in one of the new Humax Foxsat dual tuner with 360Gb recording capacity about £299 which you can use at home and in caravan (with inverter). Best site for Sat Info is http://www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk/

I also carry a good library of books :D

Alan

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

Thanks

Alec

Second hand off of ebay. £90 buy now, like this one.

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/PACE-1000-MINIBOX-SK. ..A1%7C240%3A1318

I use a roof mounted Maxview dish

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Thanks SuperMike and Alan.

Ive looked on EBay and I'm going to get a 12v pace, hope it works with my standard sky dish, don't see why not as I don't think the pace 12v was persificly designed for caravan use it may be just our good fortune that it is 12v. :D:D

Thanks again for all your help ;)

Cheers

Alec

P. S> I can not wait for Easter our first rally Penrith

Thanks SuperMike and Alan.

Ive looked on EBay and I'm going to get a 12v pace, hope it works with my standard sky dish, don't see why not as I don't think the pace 12v was persificly designed for caravan use it may be just our good fortune that it is 12v. :D:D

Thanks again for all your help ;)

Cheers

Alec

P. S> I can not wait for Easter our first rally Penrith

Alec, it will work fine with a standard dish and your sky card. Just ring Sky to have the card linked to the pace box so that you get all of your channels and then use it at home as well. We did and use it as the second box in a multi room installation. Some people will say that linking is not neccessary, but to receive premium channels then doing so takes away the possible grief. Please remember that you will need a 12v lead because it normally only comes with a 12v mains adapter. We use Maplins order code L17AR

http://www. maplin. co. uk/Module. aspx?ModuleNo=37423

You are right, it seems to have been designed with the caravaner in mind. Super bit of kit. It might be worthwhile updating the software when you get it, because they did on occasion have a tendency to freeze, but the update fixed that. Details below, but only do it if you have a problem.

To carry out a Software update:

1. Turn the power to your Sky box off

2. Press and hold the Backup button on the top of the box whilst plugging the box back in

3. Wait for the lights on your box to come back on

4. You should now receive a message on the TV screen informing you of the update

5. DO NOT turn the sky box off or touch anything until it completes the update.

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Alec, it will work fine with a standard dish and your sky card. Just ring Sky to have the card linked to the pace box so that you get all of your channels and then use it at home as well. We did and use it as the second box in a multi room installation. Some people will say that linking is not neccessary, but to receive premium channels then doing so takes away the possible grief. Please remember that you will need a 12v lead because it normally only comes with a 12v mains adapter. We use Maplins order code L17AR

You are right, it seems to have been designed with the caravaner in mind. Super bit of kit. It might be worthwhile updating the software when you get it, because they did on occasion have a tendency to freeze, but the update fixed that. Details below, but only do it if you have a problem.

To carry out a Software update:

1. Turn the power to your Sky box off

2. Press and hold the Backup button on the top of the box whilst plugging the box back in

3. Wait for the lights on your box to come back on

4. You should now receive a message on the TV screen informing you of the update

5. DO NOT turn the sky box off or touch anything until it completes the update.

Do you need to plug the phone line in to do the update.

cheers

Alec

Do you need to plug the phone line in to do the update.

cheers

Alec

No, but as I said, only do it if you have problems. It may already have been done.

Regards

SuperMike

together with

I,ve won the pace box on EBay £85 inc postage. I'm happy. :D

Excellent :lol::lol::lol:

Regards

SuperMike

together with

As suggested before this unit gives a flat 12v, when measured with a Fluke multimeter, so it is fine. Indeed the little pace box will carry on working if you switch the plug down to 9v, but can become a little sluggish when you want to change channel. Also the advantage is that it comes with a collection of little plugs, one of which fits the Pace box. :lol:

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with