Inexpensive Cordless Drills

Occasionally there are people on the forum in search of inexpensive cordless drills to wind their steadies.

I was in my local FOCUS DIY store this morning and they had on offer the Mckeller 14. 4V drill for £9. 99 and the 18V hammer drill for £19. 99. I tried both and they seemed fine.

They only come with one battery and the only slight problem I can foresee is that not being 12V they can't be used from the caravan battery when the drills battery is finished although I don't bother with this any more.

Bill

Occasionally there are people on the forum in search of inexpensive cordless drills to wind their steadies.

I was in my local FOCUS DIY store this morning and they had on offer the Mckeller 14. 4V drill for £9. 99 and the 18V hammer drill for £19. 99. I tried both and they seemed fine.

They only come with one battery and the only slight problem I can foresee is that not being 12V they can't be used from the caravan battery when the drills battery is finished although I don't bother with this any more.

Bill

In my experience inexpensive drills aren't. I ran through at least four until I bought my current Ryobi. They lack power, the batteries don't last, and then they completely give up the ghost at the worst moment. With the Ryobi I drill walls for wall-plugs, drive screws in, wind up and down the steadies, drill 10mm holes in the hard-standings for rock pegs and unscrew the pegs from the ground again. I have only had to get the corded drill out of the garage once in the last two years, and that was to drill into reinforced concrete.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

In my experience inexpensive drills aren't. I ran through at least four until I bought my current Ryobi. They lack power, the batteries don't last, and then they completely give up the ghost at the worst moment. With the Ryobi I drill walls for wall-plugs, drive screws in, wind up and down the steadies, drill 10mm holes in the hard-standings for rock pegs and unscrew the pegs from the ground again. I have only had to get the corded drill out of the garage once in the last two years, and that was to drill into reinforced concrete.

I do agree somewhat but there are still those that ask.

I will admit that I've got a cheapie now that I leave in the car just for the caravan and it has served me well for about 3 years so it owes me nothing on 25+ trips per year.

At home I use a DeWalt which I am very pleased with.

I also forgot to mention that if you are over 60 you can get 10% discount on the FOCUS prices I mentioned i. e. £8. 99 & £17. 99

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Aldi sell a drill kit with 2 batteries - a torch - sander - jigsaw & charger, 18v with 3 year warranty I have had 2 (1 for work) they are just good value at £29. 99 they come for allsorts of things ok they ain Bosch but my 36v bosch would set you back the thick end of £500

''I was in my local FOCUS DIY store this morning and they had on offer the Mckeller 14. 4V drill for £9. 99 and the 18V hammer drill for £19. 99. I tried both and they seemed fine.''

You don't need a hammer drill to raise and lower the legs !

Jeff

Edited by BertieBassett

''I was in my local FOCUS DIY store this morning and they had on offer the Mckeller 14. 4V drill for £9. 99 and the 18V hammer drill for £19. 99. I tried both and they seemed fine.''

Jeff

Jeff

I was going to reply that you clearly haven't owned a Bessacarr and then realised that you have exactly the same van as me !!

Bill

Jeff

Oh, I thought you had to hammer the steadies into position.

Now a Swift motorhome owner.

Guest Tephi

[quote name='BertieBassett'

Jeff

Jeff, I use a hammer drill to raise / lower the steadies – it can be switched, like most, from hammer action to normal – simples! ;)

[quote name='BertieBassett'

Jeff

Jeff, I use a hammer drill to raise / lower the steadies – it can be switched, like most, from hammer action to normal – simples! ;)

Ok! you got me -_- (bet you too like the 'compare the meerkat' ad like me?)

Jeff

Have you tried - comparethemeerkat. com/home. html - :D

Steve

Tried it but it doesn't work, have seen it on facebook tho!!

Hi all

Over the past eight years I have bought and worn out a 18V Halfords drill (lasted years), Woollies drill (lasted a couple of days) and a Wickes 14. 4V drill (spindle bent after a year). All the drills were bought primarily for the corner steadies.

I had enough of buying 'cheap' drills, so my latest drill is a DeWalt 18V combi with a Li-ion battery.

This latest drill had better last!

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

Hi all

Over the past eight years I have bought and worn out a 18V Halfords drill (lasted years), Woollies drill (lasted a couple of days) and a Wickes 14. 4V drill (spindle bent after a year). All the drills were bought primarily for the corner steadies.

I had enough of buying 'cheap' drills, so my latest drill is a DeWalt 18V combi with a Li-ion battery.

This latest drill had better last!

Yossa

I bought one of those a few weeks ago and it is superb, it even manages to make holes in CC hard standing for me to be able to screw pegs in. I originally bought a cheap drill to do the steadies with and to put screw pegs in with, but unless the ground is soft I could not get the pegs in, but with the hammer turned on there is no problem with putting pegs in.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.