Yorkshire Sites With Good Views

iancwilx

Can any of you guys recommend any sites in Yorkshire that have nice views of either countryside or coast from the pitches?

As our kids have now grown up, we prefer Adult Only sites, but not necessarily (Out of school holidays other sites are ok). Clubs and entertainment are not essential either.

(We are also C. Club members.)

Basically we're looking for somewhere that's fairly quiet, with good views of rolling countryside or a coastal view.

It would be nice if the site was close enough to walk to a country/village pub etc.

We've been to quite a few sites which were very nice, but the back window looks out on a hedge and the front window looks into our neighbours van over the way !

I know I'm looking for the "Perfect Site" which is a big Ask, but any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

- Wilkie

Hi,

Brown Moor at Hawes has views of the Dale and is close to the Town which is a 10 min walk,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Can any of you guys recommend any sites in Yorkshire that have nice views of either countryside or coast from the pitches?

As our kids have now grown up, we prefer Adult Only sites, but not necessarily (Out of school holidays other sites are ok). Clubs and entertainment are not essential either.

Basically we're looking for somewhere that's fairly quiet, with good views of rolling countryside or a coastal view.

It would be nice if the site was close enough to walk to a country/village pub etc.

We've been to quite a few sites which were very nice, but the back window looks out on a hedge and the front window looks into our neighbours van over the way !

I know I'm looking for the "Perfect Site" which is a big Ask, but any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

- Wilkie

Hiya Wilki. ..We have been visiting Yeomans Course at Easingwold page 488 CC book for the past ten years and views over vale of York are amazing.

Though on a bit of a slope you can easilly level up.

On a Good day you will see through to Emley Moor, 43 miles away. Village pub about 45 mins walk.

It has changed hands recently but that shouldn't cause any problems.

Happy camping.

Malc

Kia Sportage CRDI + Coachman VIP 460/2

Hiya Wilki. ..We have been visiting Yeomans Course at Easingwold page 488 CC book for the past ten years and views over vale of York are amazing.

Though on a bit of a slope you can easilly level up.

On a Good day you will see through to Emley Moor, 43 miles away. Village pub about 45 mins walk.

It has changed hands recently but that shouldn't cause any problems.

Happy camping.

Malc

Thanks Malc - That sounds just what we're looking for.

I'll checkm it out.

Cheers,

- Wilkie

Suggest you try Ghyll Brow Cottage Draughton Skipton BD23 6ED. C. C. Certified Location See page 498 in CC sites book

Have stayed here and can recommend it. Also has something rare and special if you are steam train fans.

Cheers,

- Wilkie

Volvo XC90/Swift Challenger

• 1 year later...

Suggest you try Ghyll Brow Cottage Draughton Skipton BD23 6ED. C. C. Certified Location See page 498 in CC sites book

Have stayed here and can recommend it. Also has something rare and special if you are steam train fans.

Sorry for the thread revival, I just googled Ghyll Brow Cottage, and found this thread. I've just booked on this CL for the late May bank weekend.

Does anybody know what the railway line is, I gather from the above post it is a steam railway, but I don't know what organisation operates it. I want to see if there is anything going on for the bank holiday weekend.

Thanks

Sam

Edited by SamP

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Sorry for the thread revival, I just googled Ghyll Brow Cottage, and found this thread. I've just booked on this CL for the late May bank weekend.

Does anybody know what the railway line is, I gather from the above post it is a steam railway, but I don't know what organisation operates it. I want to see if there is anything going on for the bank holiday weekend.

Thanks

Sam

Sorry never been there but googling skipton railway - wow;) ;)

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:

Sorry never been there but googling skipton railway - wow;) wink.gif

Doh - you've got a point! Having a blonde moment and all that!

Thomas the Tank is on that weekend!

Sam

Thanks

Sam

Sam

It is the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway. Have a look at their website for further info on events and timetables etc. It is a very nice little line and I am sure you will like it.

Frank

2016 Volvo XC60 D5 (220) AWD,   2019 Swift Celeste 565SE

Lovely views and a great Market in Skipton on Saturdays. .....also a nice walk around Ilkley, very posh. .......

Suggest that ordinary tv may not work well. .so Freeview or Satellite needed. ...not certain if they don't have boosted telly there so long cable needed??

rgds

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Sam

It is the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway. Have a look at their website for further info on events and timetables etc. It is a very nice little line and I am sure you will like it.

Frank

Thanks Frank, the other half has said we can have a ride, so I'm happy! Looks like a busy little line with plenty going on.

Lovely views and a great Market in Skipton on Saturdays. .....also a nice walk around Ilkley, very posh. .......

Suggest that ordinary tv may not work well. .so Freeview or Satellite needed. ...not certain if they don't have boosted telly there so long cable needed??

rgds

geoff

Cheers Geoff, yes the other half wants to go to Ilkley, will accidently leave my wallet in the van though! Got a sat dish, so OK on the TV front.

Sam

cliff top caravan site at atwick between brid and hornsea. great views over brid bay to flamborough,£17 a night all in, avoid bank hols and peak time weeknds though. great spot for peace n quiet midweek. ....

ex-alutech :angry: owner - now rehabilitated and happy :)

By definition, all Yorkshire sites have good views!

You beat me to it !!!!!!

Obviously another Tyke B)

Edited by ericfield

By definition, all Yorkshire sites have good views!

Dead right. Gods own County.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Dead right. Gods own County.

John.

Why do all yorkshire men get it wrong, there's only one good thing that comes out of Yorkshire and that is the road into the true gods own county, Lancashire :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Bill Lord

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Why do all yorkshire men get it wrong, there's only one good thing that comes out of Yorkshire and that is the road into the true gods own county, Lancashire :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh Dear Oh Dear, another disillusioned Lancastrian, still Rochdale isn't far from the right side of the Pennines :):)

To answer the OP, if the sites in Yorkshire, it will have good views, per say!

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Of course, its never possible to have sites at the best sights, whatever the county.

Frankly I dont look for optimum scenery at the campsite.

Leaving the accommodation box and getting 'out there' is always preferable.

Besides - the best scenery sites are always the first to get fully booked. ..and a fully booked site is far worse than an empty one with inferior views. :)

For members of the CC there is the CL at High Easton Farm, Grindale Lane, Grindale nr Bridlington.

Extensive and uninterrupted views over Bridlington Bay, though as it is a farm site you will need to use a car to get anywhere. I cycle past the site regularly and can usually see 5 units in the field, so it would seem to be very popular.

John.

Re Ghyll Brow Cottage - we went there a couple of years ago. Very small site, with the remains of a former water mill, but you can almost touch the steam trains - very exciting. They only run during the day, so noise is no problem. Just a couple of words of warning.

As you turn off the main road, there is a sign warning of a width restriction of 7' on that road. Our van is 7'6" wide and we had crossed the carriageway and were turning in before we noticed it!!! However, the site is just before the restriction. Also, the entry into the site is on a corner and a bit tight, you need to get a straight run into it. Don't be put off, it's perfectly possible, just a bit scary if you're not expecting it.

When we were there, there was a charge of I think 50p a night to hook into the TV cable. I think we only used it for one night. You will be parked on the north side of the house, so may not be able to get your satellite dish pointing where you need it. There are helpful little notices all over the site, and you will probably find a pitch with your name on it, and a very helpful owner.

Skipton is lovely, and has the best Wetherspoons we've been to for food. Tesco's and Morrisons are almost back to back not far from the town centre, and there's agood sized market most days. We will be up the road on a CL outside Ilkley for Spring Bank Holiday week at the end of May - another lovely town - and lovely shops!

Enjoy!

Mary

Edited by mary ross

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

Re Ghyll Brow Cottage - we went there a couple of years ago. Very small site, with the remains of a former water mill, but you can almost touch the steam trains - very exciting. They only run during the day, so noise is no problem. Just a couple of words of warning.

As you turn off the main road, there is a sign warning of a width restriction of 7' on that road. Our van is 7'6" wide and we had crossed the carriageway and were turning in before we noticed it!!! However, the site is just before the restriction. Also, the entry into the site is on a corner and a bit tight, you need to get a straight run into it. Don't be put off, it's perfectly possible, just a bit scary if you're not expecting it.

When we were there, there was a charge of I think 50p a night to hook into the TV cable. I think we only used it for one night. You will be parked on the north side of the house, so may not be able to get your satellite dish pointing where you need it. There are helpful little notices all over the site, and you will probably find a pitch with your name on it, and a very helpful owner.

Skipton is lovely, and has the best Wetherspoons we've been to for food. Tesco's and Morrisons are almost back to back not far from the town centre, and there's agood sized market most days. We will be up the road on a CL outside Ilkley for Spring Bank Holiday week at the end of May - another lovely town - and lovely shops!

Enjoy!

Mary

Thanks Mary

Very helpful information. That would explain why the first question he asked when I booked is if I was a twin axle!

Sam

Mary. ..as ever a very concise summary. .

cheers

geoff

Mary. ..as ever a very concise summary. .

cheers

geoff

Message timed at 7. 59am? It's alright for some!

Cheers!

Mary

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

Mary I retired for the third time on 30th March and closed my Consultancy. ....but I don't get any sleeps-in as I can't sleep!...so messsage could have been posted anytime after 3am!

See you somewhere,sometime!

rgds

geoff