Discover Leisure

caraman1

What a shame about all the Discover Leisure Branches that are closing down.

It's a shame they took over so many smaller businesses, although they might not have survived on their own.

Cardiff our local Caravan Dealer where my parents bought their first caravan in 1963 and we have used since then was closed as soon as Discover took them over.

Wrexham that we have used for 30 years now going and Culcheth this Friday. Apparently these were owned freehold and they are selling the sites.

Sad for all the people loosing their jobs.

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

The news about Culcheth (Warrington) closing had been out for a week or two - the news about Wrexham closing is recent, being discussed on a Stock Market forum, there doesn't seem to be a date yet.

A number of staff are transferring from Culcheth to other remaining branches.

The news about Culcheth (Warrington) closing had been out for a week or two - the news about Wrexham closing is recent, being discussed on a Stock Market forum, there doesn't seem to be a date yet.

A number of staff are transferring from Culcheth to other remaining branches.

This was not posted as a NEWS item just a regret from a customer and posted in the Caravan Chat section.

Dave

Edited by caraman1

This was not posted as a NEWS item just a regret from a customer and posted in the Caravan Chat section.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I bet there's a lot of worried workers in other branches,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Cumbria is going as well, that is what happen when greedy investors buying into businesses they don't understand

This could be a bit of a double whammy as a lot of employees bought into their shares scheme and the price has dropped,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

perhaps a ghoulish thought but does this mean there will be some bargains about??? sad to see more dealers going.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

perhaps a ghoulish thought but does this mean there will be some bargains about??? sad to see more dealers going.

It would seem logical for a big group to disperse stock from closed branches among those branches still open.

Recent expereinces with Discover Chorley suggest not!

Even with a caravan to PX the deal that they offered us on a 2008 Ace Tristar (new unsold 2008 stock) was outrageous. Poor PX value, poor value finance, poor attitude from sales staff - unhelpful, uninterested.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Recent expereinces with Discover Chorley suggest not!

Even with a caravan to PX the deal that they offered us on a 2008 Ace Tristar (new unsold 2008 stock) was outrageous. Poor PX value, poor value finance, poor attitude from sales staff - unhelpful, uninterested.

I can beat that.

I tried to haggle on a motorhome, and they wouldnt give me 12 months road tax instead of 6. The MH was £28k on offer. We walked away because they point blank refused to do any kind of deal, then 6 weeks later the ACTUAL motorhome is sold at auction for 22. 5k.

Brilliant business sense if you ask me, and thats not an isolated incident. Im still waiting for the girl to ring me back from the Delamere branch about a van purchase i want to make.

Well when i say want, i did in November when i discussed it with her and she promised to ring me back on a query i had.

Still waiting.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

I can beat that.

I tried to haggle on a motorhome, and they wouldnt give me 12 months road tax instead of 6. The MH was £28k on offer. We walked away because they point blank refused to do any kind of deal, then 6 weeks later the ACTUAL motorhome is sold at auction for 22. 5k.

Brilliant business sense if you ask me, and thats not an isolated incident. Im still waiting for the girl to ring me back from the Delamere branch about a van purchase i want to make.

Well when i say want, i did in November when i discussed it with her and she promised to ring me back on a query i had.

Still waiting.

That doesn't surprise me! Delamere/Harringtons has really gone down the pan since Discover took over. We went on a saturday two weeks ago, when you may reasonably expect it to be relatively busy at this time of year, and it was dead. Added to the fact that a couple of weeks earlier we'd been looking around the vans only for a salesman to nealry lock us in becuase it was 3. 45pm, and they close at 4. 00pm!

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Harringtons Delamare has been a letdown for many years, especially the workshop side of the business. The only place I know that demands your van for a whole week in order to do a service! The quality of work on our last Bailey left much to be desired as well and the management were not interested in resolving complaints. Hence we bought another brand this time round! The only decent salesman, Mark Parry, transferred to Leisure Sales at Holmes Chapel a while ago.

I'm sorry that Barrons Wrexham is going as they are/were okay. I thought it was a franchise business headed up by Dave Griffiths who bought out of Flintshire Caravans some years ago - but maybe I have it wrong. They lost the Coachman franchise 2 years ago and then Avondale went bust, so they couldn't have had much in the way of new brands to sell latterly.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I have noticed that since Discover took over Mendip Caravans at Weston-S-Mare the stock in the shop is very poor - very poor selection and very little of it !!!!! It used to be a nice dealership but it has an 'atmosphere' about it now !! Definately not a company I would want to deal with !!

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Hi,

in fairness I must say that Discover's Darlington branch seem to be OK and I haven't had any problems apart from one salesman when they were called Barrons,

Regards,

Ian.

I have noticed that since Discover took over Mendip Caravans at Weston-S-Mare the stock in the shop is very poor - very poor selection and very little of it !!!!! It used to be a nice dealership but it has an 'atmosphere' about it now !! Definately not a company I would want to deal with !!

Gerry

Oh dear, booked in for a service next month, better check they are still there before I turn up

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

They don't deserve the business in my opinion. Any deal has to be fair and reasonable. Only last weekend we were offered a ridiculous allowance for our van against a new one at the full RRP of £17K

Told them quite clearly that to make an easy £4K GP on my p/ex in addition to retaining full dealer margin on the new one was greedy and unrealistic - especially as I had pre-warned them not to give me the spiel.

Walked out. End of.

T

2014 Porsche Cayenne | 2010 Coachman Pastiche Platinum 560/4 | 1967 Wife

We went to a Discover Chorley in January, after viewing the Bailey Ranger 540 6 and comparing it with the GT and Pageant Bretange versions we decided the 540 6 was the best for us because of the weight and price, that took us 45 minuets.

We went into the show room to find a sales rep to say he was disinterested is an understatement; he spends 10 minuets taking the details then went off to the office. The showroom was freezing Nicola and Dean were sat at the far end with the Twins keeping them occupied whilst we awaited his return, you could see into the office through a window from the showroom, you could also see the halogen heater they had in there. He was sat at a desk chatting to the other reps, after 20 minutes the twins were playing up so Nicola decided to take them home whilst we continued to sit in the freezing showroom, I could see him still sitting at his desk talking and laughing, I went over to the office as I approach he gets hold of the phone puts his finger up as if to say 1 minute and turns his back on me.

I was furious but went to sit down after a further 10 minuets he comes back no apology just offers a very small trade in allowance which I refuse he says he'll go back to the office to see if he'll be allowed to increase the sum, I ask him about extras like the centre drawer unit, off he go's, another 20 minutes go by before he comes back, I'd had enough it was only for Linda's sake that I'd not left. He tells us he will have to guess at the price of the drawers and he's increase the trade in allowance to something I'd have accepted, but we'd have to give them our caravan now and wait until March to get delivery of the new van, I was freezing but my blood boiled at this we'd been sat in there for over an hour, I stood up and walked off he seemed surprised and angry that I'd walked away he started ripping up the paper work as though I'd wasted his time.

The thing is we were not the only people to do this at least 2 other couples walked out of the showroom whilst we were there, The reps seemed to get the details and could do nothing until they'd been into the office for 20 minuets, I wonder if it's a new sales technique if so it's not very good.

This was the beginning of a very long story as we went to the Culcheth Branch and ordered the Bailey Ranger 540 6 we eventually refused 2 when we went to pick them up as they wanted us to pay for the caravan and instantly put in warranty claims to have poor build problems sorted in the bathroom door/wall we ended up getting our deposit back 2 months later.

Hi,

in fairness I must say that Discover's Darlington branch seem to be OK and I haven't had any problems apart from one salesman when they were called Barrons,

Regards,

Ian.

Apart from the presentation of our new 'van, i don't have anything good to say about Darlo Branch!

took 6 weeks, 31 phone calls, 7 emails and 2 "drop in's" to get my TV/DVD unit that came with the van. ...

. .. and it's last (1st / Only) warranty claim took 15 days, and not the 7 we were told . .. again, emails needed to HQ to get our van back!

Al.

Interestingly there is nothing about any planned closures on their web site ???

http://www. discover. co. uk/pages/map/store-locator. asp

Having just bought from the Explorer Group we were fortunate to have two franchises relatively close to each other so could directly compare. We were dealing with the larger Discover Birtley and the smaller concern N E Caravans, Ashington. While Discover worked hard, the young lad was backwards and forwards to the Sales Manager as they do, to check out the deal. At NE the saleman was able to directly negotiate and immediately offered a fair price for our part x and very competitive with the new van. No spiel from them, they've been true to their word on all my requirements, hands on input from the owner. They've been a real pleasure to deal with.

Discover of course have an excellent shop and workshop facilities so I hope they aren't threatened. Without competition the customer loses.

Audi Q5 TDI Quattro - Swift Conqueror 570

We have friends who bought their caravan from Mendip (not Discover at the time). They pranged it and have taken it back there for repair.

They are being given the complete run around. First they were told to bring it in on the 1st Feb, when checking with the firm just before hitching up to take, the firm said it wasn't booked in until the 21st! Then they took it in and were told it would be repaired in a week or so, when checking, they were then told all repairs had been carried out but they were awaiting a couple of wheels. They checked again and were told they could pick the van up in a week. When phoning just before leaving to collect, they were then told the repairs hadn't been done!

And so it goes on. The friends have now got the CC insurance group involved who have said that this is not the only complaint they have about Discover!

Personally, I think their van has probably not been touched and they should go and get it back before the group folds - which I think is inevitable and probably for the best! :angry:

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Be very careful. Some years ago, a company in these parts, Wirral Caravans, went belly up and their stock of vans, including several in for service/repair, were seized by the receiver and carted off to deepest Cheshire. It took folk ages and the threat of litigation to get them back. If you have any concerns, make up a poster along these lines and fix it in a prominent internal position:

To whom it may concern. This caravan and its contents are the property of Mr & Mrs J Bloggs. No finance company has any lien over it and the XYZ dealership has no title to it. [if under hire purchase change the first part to say ABC Finance has exclusive lien over it.][b

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

We have friends who bought their caravan from Mendip (not Discover at the time). They pranged it and have taken it back there for repair.

Martin W

Which Mendip Branch?

Dave

Guest John KS

Just taken my van in for service at Discover Portsmouth. They are very busy and there are lots of new and used vans and Mhomes there. I gather that they are closing down the smaller units and those that are close to other larger competition. It's called streamlining and under the circumstances seems sensible.

Apart from the presentation of our new 'van, i don't have anything good to say about Darlo Branch!

took 6 weeks, 31 phone calls, 7 emails and 2 "drop in's" to get my TV/DVD unit that came with the van. ...

. .. and it's last (1st / Only) warranty claim took 15 days, and not the 7 we were told . .. again, emails needed to HQ to get our van back!

hi ADG,

It's amazing how two customers can be treated so differently, I must have been lucky,

Regards,

Ian.