Overnight Stop At Dover's Ferry Terminal

can anyone tell me if it is allowed -and safe- to put down your caravan at dover's ferry terminal? we are thinking of getting P&O's 6am crossing, and would prefer to stay in the port if we can, as will have been driving from the north of england, arriving in dover late at night. any suggestions? tks.

AFAIK In the port itself is not possible but you can park in the car park by the old Hoverspeed terminal, If you come along the M20/A20 you drop down the hill into Dover, roundabout at the bottom has signs for Freight Clearance, you need to go straight over then at the next roundabout you turn right & the carpark is on your right . As said it is noisy there due to all the traffic coming off the ferries, especially the lorries who have no choice but to slow down & then pull away at full power if they are heavy due to all the roundabouts . Obviously over night there are proportionally more lorries than cars . Been there & done it as a lorry driver !

If you use the A2 to come into Dover and you are a CC member there are 4 cl's just off Whitfield roundabout. These all accept late arrivals early departures. I use one and arrive about 10pm and leave for the 5. 00am ferry. No problems.

The other alternative is to get on a ferry when you arrive at the docks and stay overnight at Calais. The parking area is massive and you would have no problem there.

harryb

If you use the A2 to come into Dover and you are a CC member there are 4 cl's just off Whitfield roundabout. These all accept late arrivals early departures. I use one and arrive about 10pm and leave for the 5. 00am ferry. No problems.

The other alternative is to get on a ferry when you arrive at the docks and stay overnight at Calais. The parking area is massive and you would have no problem there.

harryb

Although it is as noisy at Calais docks as the car park in Dover!!! Go the CL route it is much better.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

Guest John KS
Although it is as noisy at Calais docks as the car park in Dover!!! Go the CL route it is much better.

It's worse at Calais and less secure. Definitely go the CL route!!!!!

It's worse at Calais and less secure. Definitely go the CL route!!!!!

I stop at the Calais terminal every year, I don't find it that noisy or unsafe. I suppose it depends on how you perceive these things.

Steve W

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

can anyone tell me if it is allowed -and safe- to put down your caravan at dover's ferry terminal? we are thinking of getting P&O's 6am crossing, and would prefer to stay in the port if we can, as will have been driving from the north of england, arriving in dover late at night. any suggestions? tks.

we normally stay black horse farm CC site, they have an area for ferry users where you van stay hitched up, with just the steadies to lift, couple electrics and off you. Very convenient

Kevin

Vauxhall Insignia SRi Nav 160 Auto, 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

We did it years ago. Stopped on the front. Very noisy and I would avoid if possible. Try one of the CLs close by.

i dont think i fancy the idea of stopping on the front. downt sound terribly safe! will look into CL's. tks.

harryb

thanks harry. how close are these cl's to the port? couple of miles?

we normally stay black horse farm CC site, they have an area for ferry users where you van stay hitched up, with just the steadies to lift, couple electrics and off you. Very convenient

is this cl very close to the port? the closer the better for me.

We stay at a CL called Little Hougham Court Farm - no electrics but only £5 per night, even an honesty box so that if you arrive late and leave early you just leave the money there. Large well drained field so you can stay hitched up ready for the off. Actually has good views but don't think many people stay for long.

The other option is to go over on an evening ferry and stay at Baie de Somme aire - good place for an overnight.

Jan

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

We stay at a CL called Little Hougham Court Farm - no electrics but only £5 per night, even an honesty box so that if you arrive late and leave early you just leave the money there. Large well drained field so you can stay hitched up ready for the off. Actually has good views but don't think many people stay for long.

The other option is to go over on an evening ferry and stay at Baie de Somme aire - good place for an overnight.

Jan

Hi Jan

I am interested in overnighting at Baie de Somme aire, is it safe and do they have dedicated parking for vans please?

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

thanks harry. how close are these cl's to the port? couple of miles?

3 1/2 miles and about 5 mins. Thats 5am in the morning. You need to be a CC member to use cl's. There are 4 in this area. Try Miss Broadley, Longfield Farm. She uses and honesty box for late arrivals. There's a pub, fish shop and MacDonalds all at the end of the lane.

harryb

Edited by Harryb

about 20 mins as I remember, but it has the great advantage of being able to stay hitched up so you get a quick start and as you are in an area where everyone is going for a ferry you dont worry about waking people up. Its actually a cc site rather than cl

Kevin

Vauxhall Insignia SRi Nav 160 Auto, 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Lenacre court farm had hard standing and electrics as well as a big grassy field. You can stay hitched up and leave when you like. last year it was £8 a night.

Edited by jaymac

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

about 20 mins as I remember, but it has the great advantage of being able to stay hitched up so you get a quick start and as you are in an area where everyone is going for a ferry you dont worry about waking people up. Its actually a cc site rather than cl

Late arrivals are no longer accepted on outward ferries and staying hitched is a problem. Check CC sites book for details or direct with site.

Edited by beejay

Hi Jan

I am interested in overnighting at Baie de Somme aire, is it safe and do they have dedicated parking for vans please?

Phil.

It's about an hour from Calais, there is dedicated parking. Its a really nice place. Got loads of photos but cant upload them the files are too large.

Regards
Ian

Jan - know what you mean BUT I can get fresh croissants for breakfast here in Woolwich :)

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Jan - know what you mean BUT I can get fresh croissants for breakfast here in Woolwich :)

Costco's croissants and pains aux raisins are bigger and better than any I have tasted in France. And a lot cheaper. Freeze them, then 6 minutes in oven.

Edited by beejay

Forgot to say - I can also see the ferry from our living room window!

post-6-1238107699_thumb.jpg

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

• 4 weeks later...