Galaxy Parking Sensors

grumpy_one

This has probably been mentioned before, but, here goes anyway. Does any one know how to sort out the parking sensors on the rear of the galaxy, when fitted with a tow bar? They tend to go a bit haywire when reversing (irritating!!)

I don't want to have to disconnect them if possible

Ta very much . ...Jim :D

Jim

Not sure if you mean whilst reversing with a van on the back or simply because you have a tow bar fitted. With a van on the back yes they'll drive you to distraction but you live with it. With no van on the back I dont have a problem. The rear sensors are spaced evenly along the bumper and this allows a gap in the very centre, which is where the tow bar is. Having said that I've only got a single socket and dont have a bumper protection plate.

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

I fitted a towbar last year on our galaxy and had the same problem as yourself. I have read that if you bend the electric plate backover it stops interfering but I could not get it to stop no matter what position I tried.

I ended up fitting a detachable upgrade kit to my fixed towbar (It is a towsure towbar) and I now have no problems with the sensors. I did not want to disconnect them as they are very useful when reversing!!!

Andy

I fitted a towbar last year on our galaxy and had the same problem as yourself. I have read that if you bend the electric plate backover it stops interfering but I could not get it to stop no matter what position I tried.

I ended up fitting a detachable upgrade kit to my fixed towbar (It is a towsure towbar) and I now have no problems with the sensors. I did not want to disconnect them as they are very useful when reversing!!!

Andy

14345[/snapback]

I cut my bash-plate down so it was the same width as the tow ball bracket and then the sensors worked fine on our Galaxy (Mk1 Ghia X). Before that the inner pair were picking up the edges of the bash-plate. Have not tried them on a Mk2 with a tow bar myself but all our Mk2's with tow bars at work have parking sensors and I've not heard of anyone having any problems.

Si.

Thanks for the replies, we have discovered that the tow bar fitted to the new car has only one bolt holding the bar on to the chassis!! Could've been disasterous if we hadn't got it checked out, so it looks like a new tow bar is in order, I think a detachable is the way to go

Cheers. ...Jim :)

I use a detachable towbar. But between trips in the summer I leave the towbar on. The Reversing sensor does not 'spot it' unless I put the towball cover on.

As others have said, press the switch too switch it off if you don't want to use it . You will have to do this each time you reverse.

I use a detachable towbar. But between trips in the summer I leave the towbar on. The Reversing sensor does not 'spot it' unless I put the towball cover on.

As others have said, press the switch too switch it off if you don't want to use it . You will have to do this each time you reverse.

My detachable isn't read by the sensors either but the caravan sure is when hitched up and the car's in reverse.

I put a 12v relay (normally closed contacts) in the power feed to the reversing sensor 'brain' (located behind left rear interior trim panel) and have used the spare pin (6 I think) on my grey socket to return the current from the reversing light feed (pin 1).

Net result, when the car's in reverse and the van's plugged into the grey socket, no power goes to the reversing sensor system. Works a treat and cuts out that extra aggro when I need to be concentrating on the wife's arm signals!

Steve

B)