Jockey

Bobinet

Yes it is easy to change the wheel. the pneumatic wheel (the scooter one)is ideal on muddy field if you have got a motor mover otherwise the flat wheel wiil do.

http://i126. photobucket. com/albums/p84/johng_016/drawbar. jpg

If its inside the A frame like this you need to raise the front of the van and then unscrew the handle with th side clamp screw undone until the wheel and fork etc drop out

I would avoid the plastic wheel type as if over inflated the wheel explodes(been there donr that!)

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

http://i126. photobucket. com/albums/p84/joh. ..irginia_ext. jpg

If its inside the A frame like this you need to raise the front of the van and then unscrew the handle with th side clamp screw undone until the wheel and fork etc drop out

I would avoid the plastic wheel type as if over inflated the wheel explodes(been there donr that!)

Is it possible to get an 8" pneumatic jockey wheel tyre? I've tried a 10" wheel from a local dealer but the side walls 'caught' the U bracket. I'm reluctant to change the whole assembly as there's an integral noseweight guage in this BPW fitting.

Sorry if I'm jumping on Bobinet's post.

D

Audi Q5 TDI Quattro - Swift Conqueror 570

Is it possible to get an 8" pneumatic jockey wheel tyre? I've tried a 10" wheel from a local dealer but the side walls 'caught' the U bracket. I'm reluctant to change the whole assembly as there's an integral noseweight guage in this BPW fitting.

D

I would replace the lot

My friend asked for an inflatable jockey wheel on his new van some years ago and they jus sprised the fork open and fitted the inflatabe one

It was never a success and I ended up giving him a fork unit from the spares dept :D

I have the Alko wheel assembly and its possible to replace to split pin with an R clip so that just the wheel can be removed for going on to ferries

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

A pnuematic wheel won't fit the fork supplied with the solid wheel. A cheap solution is to get one of these from Towsure:-

http://www. towsure. com/product/13909-Swivel_Castor_300x4

Use an angle grinder on your jockeywheel shaft and weld on the castor. Like so:-

wheel-2.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

D

Your van has the same chassis and jockey wheel as my Buccaneer, the metal wheel with pneumatic tyre fits perfectly, and the tyre will be marked 150kg working load on the sidewall.

I got mine from J R Leisure of Eggington, Derbyshire and it cost around £10-00.

As a matter of interest I also carry a spare one just incase, the reason being a few years ago we were on the West Coast of Ireland and we pulled away without winding the jockey wheel up, we only went about 100 yards, but when we got out both the wheel and tyre were destroyed.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

Your van has the same chassis and jockey wheel as my Buccaneer, the metal wheel with pneumatic tyre fits perfectly, and the tyre will be marked 150kg working load on the sidewall.

I got mine from J R Leisure of Eggington, Derbyshire and it cost around £10-00.

As a matter of interest I also carry a spare one just incase, the reason being a few years ago we were on the West Coast of Ireland and we pulled away without winding the jockey wheel up, we only went about 100 yards, but when we got out both the wheel and tyre were destroyed.

Thanks - I'll have another look at the weekend. The standard wheel is all plastic, 8" and very basic. I need to check the width of footprint. The 10" pnuematic on a black steel wheel seemed a standard spare, equivalent to the plastic job. The bracket could take the 10" diameter but the sidewalls rubbed. I thought with the noseweight bearing down it would damage the sidewalls so no good. Do you know the width of the tyre you've bought or any more info to identify it? It seems to be what I'm after.

TVM

Edited by R U Sure

Thanks - I'll have another look at the weekend. The standard wheel is all plastic, 8" and very basic. I need to check the width of footprint. The 10" pnuematic on a black steel wheel seemed a standard spare, equivalent to the plastic job. The bracket could take the 10" diameter but the sidewalls rubbed. I thought with the noseweight bearing down it would damage the sidewalls so no good. Do you know the width of the tyre you've bought or any more info to identify it? It seems to be what I'm after.

TVM

The following is off the spare wheel I keep, which is the same as the one on the van.

Make 'Kings Tire' 4 ply, 200-4, made in China, 110 KG max load, Pressure 57psi

This is mounted on a polished steel wheel with a black plastic centre hub. The width through the hub is 87mm.

Regards
Terry Birch

The following is off the spare wheel I keep, which is the same as the one on the van.

Make 'Kings Tire' 4 ply, 200-4, made in China, 110 KG max load, Pressure 57psi

This is mounted on a polished steel wheel with a black plastic centre hub. The width through the hub is 87mm.

Thanks - I never thought it would be so difficult getting a tyre for what looks like a heavy duty assembly in the first place! These specs are helpful, there's another local dealer I'm gonna try so I'll take these with me. On the net Leisure shop direct looks like it may have a suitable tyre 128506 ?? DW advises the noseweight guage will be affected between the solid wheel and air tyre. I'm not convinced about that but I'm obviously no expert in these things.

Thanks - I never thought it would be so difficult getting a tyre for what looks like a heavy duty assembly in the first place! These specs are helpful, there's another local dealer I'm gonna try so I'll take these with me. On the net Leisure shop direct looks like it may have a suitable tyre 128506 ?? DW advises the noseweight guage will be affected between the solid wheel and air tyre. I'm not convinced about that but I'm obviously no expert in these things.

When I ordered the van from my local Explorer Group Dealer, I requested an inflatable jockey wheel, the details of which I have already posted, I know for sure that they only changed the wheel, and did not change the lot. When I check the nose weight using an ordinary guage and the jocky wheel one they read pretty much the same, so it must be OK.

Regards
Terry Birch

When I ordered the van from my local Explorer Group Dealer, I requested an inflatable jockey wheel, the details of which I have already posted, I know for sure that they only changed the wheel, and did not change the lot. When I check the nose weight using an ordinary guage and the jocky wheel one they read pretty much the same, so it must be OK.

Can't beat the tried and tested experience of another caravanner. I'm following up with a dealer getting a suitable tyre/wheel. Thanks v much for your interest in this.

Can't beat the tried and tested experience of another caravanner. I'm following up with a dealer getting a suitable tyre/wheel. Thanks v much for your interest in this.

Just make sure you get an all metal wheel, the ones with the plastic centres are rubbish, i have had two, both of them, both shed the bearings as they are only held in the plastic inserts.

This is the one i have now, much more up to the job.

post-22685-1238076064_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.