Best Motor Mover

Bobinet

For every make of mover you will get a fan,

which ever mover you end up with YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

I have a weak heart and it has been a boon to setting up, hitching up, and parking up

Motor Mover, Carver

Hi

We have just had our first caravan and first weekend away. It is a Elddis Tornado XL.

We dod have to struggle to reverse and push it on to the forecourt at home and then onto gravel of which there is initially a slight rise.

Can anyone suggest the best mover? and prices?. One that is reliable?

Thank you in advance for all advice.

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I'm sure that this question has been asked before so you may like to try a search.

Regarding which mover to buy, I'm not sure many people will have had more than one so a comparison will be difficult. I do know that Powrtouch pricematch, are quite reliable and have good backup but I can't speak for the rest,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Guest Rimmer

I have a Reich mover with auto engage and soft start, I am a fan of it, but like said, everyone is a fan of thier own make.

Its best to shop around for prices and eals on all the makes available. (I would say probably anything under £550 may not be up to the job)

You pay your money and make your choice.

Bobby, I suspect you might be better off asking for any horror stories on what to avoid. Then assume that anything else is OK.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

I think a Mr Shifta moves the jockey wheel whereas I would recommend a main wheel mover like the Powrtouch which I swear by for service.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi Bobby,

I don’t think there is a best make. Some will be lighter in weight, some will be further off the ground, some will be more stylish, some will be cheaper and some will be more powerful. It all depends on what your priorities are.

As long as it’s fitted correctly I would have thought any is better than none. Having said that, we seem to have done without needing one so far.

Lloyd

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

I think a Mr Shifta moves the jockey wheel whereas I would recommend a main wheel mover like the Powrtouch which I swear by for service.

Hi,

I agree as I have heard one or two complaints from people who have used this type that they are not very good for grip. If yu decide to go this way there seems to be quite a few on the secondhand market which may indicate that there are problems and people are trading up to the fixed mover,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Thanks.

Does the motor mover fixed have a seperate battery? How does one charge and is the motor mover secure against theft?

Thank you

Bobby

Can't speak for Mr. Shifta which is a jockey wheel mover (not as good as a van wheel mover), but a std wheel mover works from the van battery just like any other thing in the van so no need to charge as long as you charge up the van battery normally on EHU. Never heard of motor movers being stolen - tis possible I suppose but very unlikely. Tis a lot of work for not much money - better to steal the whole van! Though it is better never to steal at ball! :rolleyes:

Graham

Movers are wired up by the installer to the battery and have a special switch incorporated. So to use the mover you have to

1) Engage the rollers to the wheel with a special bar/spanner

2) Operate the switch to bring electrics to the mover

3) (Powrmover) Get remote handset and switch handset on - provided you know where it is :lol::lol::lol:

Graham

FAO: Bobby (Bobinet).

Please take your time and do a search around the net for reviews and opinions on movers.

Some of the rubbish spouted on this thread above is misleading, wrong and complete drivel, by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

I finally finished the install of my Enduro mover on Sunday and had great fun with my new remote control toy driving it around the garden! Seriously though i am impressed so far with the operation of the mover and the ease of installation,it seems well built and the installation pack is very comprehensive,this is my first mover so i have nothing to compare it with but i am very pleased with it,i managed to manouver the van into a position at the bottom of the drive which would have been near impossible by hand and also managed to put the van towhitch first onto the drive which has got to be better for security,so far so good, :D

Brett

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

Please take your time and do a search around the net for reviews and opinions on movers.

Some of the rubbish spouted on this thread above is misleading, wrong and complete drivel, by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

A great generalisation. .........

Graham

http://www. shifta. com/

You can see from this link that Mt Shifta is not a jockey wheel type

It has its own battery and towball

You hook up to it instead of the car

It needs an extra bar for reversing to stop the caravan coupling compressing and activating the brakes

My friend had one but soon got rid and bougt a Carver so draw your own conclusions

The bolt to the van type use the caravan battery(110amp hour is recommended) and they are always available to use at home or on site

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

WRONG, Mr Shifta, regardless of model 1, 2 or 3 all are driven with the van *hitched* onto a *towball* mounted onto the top of the Shifta.

The jockey wheel movers are along the lines of the Bigfoot, or the Euromover and will replace the jockey wheel when needing to move the van.

In Consilio Sapienta

Can't speak for Mr. Shifta which is a jockey wheel mover (not as good as a van wheel mover), but a std wheel mover works from the van battery just like any other thing in the van so no need to charge as long as you charge up the van battery normally on EHU. Never heard of motor movers being stolen - tis possible I suppose but very unlikely. Tis a lot of work for not much money - better to steal the whole van! Though it is better never to steal at ball! :rolleyes:

WRONG, Shifta isnt a jockey wheel mover.

And as for being not as good as a "van wheel mover", on what basis do you make this?

My chassis mounted mover, a Rhyno, was good but not perfect for my needs. On the other hand the jockey wheel mover, NOT a Shifta, was good enough to pull a twin axle Avondale Argente 650-6 across a flat level field. Thats a twin coming in at around 1650 Kgs when it was pulled. The same "not as good" mover pushed the same van up a sloping driveway whilst the van was loaded to the gunnels, approx 1800 Kgs. The Mr Shifta (Mk2) wasnt able to do that.

Horses for courses.

I detest how people make ridiculous claims on what their equipment can and cannot do, then proclaim how its the best, yet never having used any alternatives. Ive used and owned every type, from fixed, to 3 Shiftas, 2 seperate jockey mounted, and even an ill fated hitchdrive manual version.

For MY needs, and this is the important thing to consider,what are your needs, it narrows the choice down a lot, for my needs absolutely nothing is as good as my front towbar fitted to my car, detachable.

But thats the best option for me. I know this because i have tried all the other methods before this, which i should of done first and saved me a couple of grand.

***** forgot to add, the jockey wheel movers can also be bought with a hitch mount so the van will hitch straight onto it. With only one wheel, one motor and all the weight over the wheel, they dont use as much power as any most others but their traction is unbelievable, dont rule them out.

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta

1) The Mr Shifta type of mover has about 90 kg weight on its driven wheel(s).

2) The permanently-attached type that acts on the caravan's main wheels has around 700kg on each driven wheel.

Which can provide the greater traction - is it 1 or 2? :)

The Mr Shifta type is clearly very useful for certain jobs, but not for moving caravans on slopes or on gravel or grass.

Edited by BryanS

Ooooooooooh!

Edited by paulthomas

1) The Mr Shifta type of mover has about 90 kg weight on its driven wheel(s).

2) The permanently-attached type that acts on the caravan's main wheels has around 700kg on each driven wheel.

Which can provide the greater traction - is it 1 or 2? :)

The Mr Shifta type is clearly very useful for certain jobs, but not for moving caravans on slopes or on gravel or grass.

On that basis would you like to tell me which mover performed better on my driveway, and between 3 different vans?

In Consilio Sapienta

On that basis would you like to tell me which mover performed better on my driveway, and between 3 different vans?

It would be interesting to know what you found

My friend (posted above with link to Mr Shifta) found that he couldn't get sufficient traction on his tarmac slightly sloping drive and as his now bigger van ends up with the jockey wheel against the house wall a front towball would not do so he got the Carver and 7 years later the Reich

I use the Powrtouch now because of the service and warranty and can certainly recommend that

The front towball would not be suitable for me as I draw the car partly into the garage and then use the mover to do a U turn in reverse with the caravan into its parking space

Its no doubt a lot cheaper than the mover if its suitable for the situation

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Go on then - it was the Mr Shifta wasn't it?