Sportage V Freelander2 Gs

tinman

Hi

I had a 2 litre petrol Sportage until 2008. Had it for three years. I towed a Senator Indiana at 1500kg with mine all across the UK and Europe.

Superb car and excellent value for money in all respects. Changed to a Sorento when I bought a twin axle, but would have another Sporty in a shot.

The Dealers are excellent and there are some seriously good deals available with a bit of bartering - I got three years free servicing etc thrown in and a handsome discount too.

I like the new Freelander as well - but I think I would be looking at the new Honda CR-V or a Sporty when I change again in 2010.

Martin

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Kia Sportage vs L-R Freelander 2 - that's a very difficult comparison to make because it's not comparing like-for-like, particularly the value-for-money.

Functionally, the FL2 wins all the comparisons, eg off-road, on-road, etc EXCEPT running costs.

If you can afford a FL2, there are alternatives - Audi A4 quattro, Audi A4 Allroad, Subaru Legacy, Subaru Outback, Volvo XC60.

Roger,

The Audi Allroad is based on the A6 & not the A4 (if you won't tell anyone, nor will I!)

Tinman,

Go for the Kia Sortage (if you're not into serious offroading) but want a capable tow car with lots of features for less dosh! (or you coud even join the Sorento brigade!)

GeorgeB Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

When I said I was normal. .....maybe I exaggerated somewhat!

Skoda Superb MK3 190ps DSG 4X4 estate closely followed by a Swift Challenger 580 Alde

Kia Sportage 2. 0xs 4Wd seems to be a popular model. When it comes to 2 or 4WD do I really need a 4WD to pull approx 1300kg. max or will a 2WD suffice. I definitely am not into this off road stuff. ........not really a car buff or have much knowledge, I just want a decent tugger and it seems that you get an awful lot more for your money with the Kia . The 7 year warranty is particulary attractive as I intend keeping this car for quite a while .

Roger,

The Audi Allroad is based on the A6 & not the A4 (if you won't tell anyone, nor will I!)

Tinman,

Go for the Kia Sortage (if you're not into serious offroading) but want a capable tow car with lots of features for less dosh! (or you coud even join the Sorento brigade!)

Keep up George <_< Audi have ADDED an A4 Allroad to their range, in addition to the A6 Allroad which has been around for a while.

Kia Sportage 2. 0xs 4Wd seems to be a popular model. When it comes to 2 or 4WD do I really need a 4WD to pull approx 1300kg. max or will a 2WD suffice. I definitely am not into this off road stuff. ........not really a car buff or have much knowledge, I just want a decent tugger and it seems that you get an awful lot more for your money with the Kia . The 7 year warranty is particulary attractive as I intend keeping this car for quite a while .

The 2. 0 XS was the model I had - great spec and value for money - electric everything, leather inside etc - stonking value for the money. We ran a 2. 0 CRV at the that time too and I really couldn't see where the extra money went to on the Honda in truth.

I would have thought the 2wd would be the one to go for - they only did 4wd when I got mine - like you, I don't really need the 4x4 bit, just a decent towcar that sits up high - I'd be tempted bt the 2wd in truth.

Martin

Keep up George <_< Audi have ADDED an A4 Allroad to their range, in addition to the A6 Allroad which has been around for a while.

Roger,

The only fly in the ointment is that the A4 Allroad is not available yet & with NO confirmed introduction date in the UK, AND it will not compare price or value for money wise with the KIA, & that pains me to say that, as I worked with Audi for 30+ years until I was made redundant this February.

Having had Audi's as my tow car for many a year, inc the A6 Allroad (for 5 years), my choice of tow car, now that I'm paying for it myself. .......Kia Sorento! speaks volumes!

GeorgeB Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

When I said I was normal. .....maybe I exaggerated somewhat!

Skoda Superb MK3 190ps DSG 4X4 estate closely followed by a Swift Challenger 580 Alde

Roger,

The only fly in the ointment is that the A4 Allroad is not available yet & with NO confirmed introduction date in the UK, AND it will not compare price or value for money wise with the KIA, & that pains me to say that, as I worked with Audi for 30+ years until I was made redundant this February.

Having had Audi's as my tow car for many a year, inc the A6 Allroad (for 5 years), my choice of tow car, now that I'm paying for it myself. .......Kia Sorento! speaks volumes!

I back you up on the Sorento thoughts, George. Awesome car and excellent value too.

Roger,

George, I apologise but I gave up keeping track of cars announced and actually available in the showroom back in the '60s - in those days it was Ford who were masters of PR by providing details and road tests of new models months before they were available - nowadays it can take 2-3 years to fully roll out a new model with all it's variants.

Premium products, not just cars, never do well in the value for money stakes.

The OP wanted comparisons of the Kia Sportage and L-R Freelander 2 - on a value-for-money basis it's no contest, the Kia wins hands down - for those who can afford the FL2, there are other alternatives - I was trying to make this point in my original post.

People don't buy everything on best value-for-money - if we did, no-one would live in the South-East, no-one would buy premium/large cars and no-one would buy premium/large caravans and and certainly not replace them until they've worn out.

Sorry to muddy the pool a bit but I've just seen a lovely Hyundai Santa FE 2. 2 CRDT CDX 17,000 Miles, 3 year man. warranty which Ican get for £13,000 putting in my 10year old Merc. in part ex. .......decisions,decisions !!!!!!!!! :blink:

Sorry to muddy the pool a bit but I've just seen a lovely Hyundai Santa FE 2. 2 CRDT CDX 17,000 Miles, 3 year man. warranty which Ican get for £13,000 putting in my 10year old Merc. in part ex. .......decisions,decisions !!!!!!!!! :blink:

Now that is a tricky one - if it's the new shape Santa then it's a comparison for the Sorento - they even share the same floor plan, as Hyundai and Kia are in partnership, I think?

It does sound like a nice car though - only thing I didn't like about the Santa when I bought the Sorento was the horrible plastic wood inserts in the cabin - but it was a strong contendor otherwise.

Now that is a tricky one - if it's the new shape Santa then it's a comparison for the Sorento - they even share the same floor plan, as Hyundai and Kia are in partnership, I think?

It does sound like a nice car though - only thing I didn't like about the Santa when I bought the Sorento was the horrible plastic wood inserts in the cabin - but it was a strong contendor otherwise.

As tinman is referring to 2. 2 diesel, not 2. 0, it is the new Santa Fe.

The Sorento was designed by Kia pre-takeover/merger with Hyundai - it has an old-style ladder chassis - the new Santa Fe has an integral monocoque construction - I don't think the Sorento and Santa Fe have anything in common - unlike the Tucson and mk2 Sportage which are close cousins.

As tinman is referring to 2. 2 diesel, not 2. 0, it is the new Santa Fe.

The Sorento was designed by Kia pre-takeover/merger with Hyundai - it has an old-style ladder chassis - the new Santa Fe has an integral monocoque construction - I don't think the Sorento and Santa Fe have anything in common - unlike the Tucson and mk2 Sportage which are close cousins.

Roger

That is also my understanding but the new Sorento, due later this year, will be based on the Santa Fe floor pan so will be a very different animal to the current Sorento. I am thinking of swapping later in the year if I can get a deal on the current model.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Roger

That is also my understanding but the new Sorento, due later this year, will be based on the Santa Fe floor pan so will be a very different animal to the current Sorento. I am thinking of swapping later in the year if I can get a deal on the current model.

David

Yes, the new Sorento will be interesting - for different markets, Hyundai make and sell the Vera Cruz which is based on the new Santa Fe but larger - they have made a decision not to introduce the Vera Cruz in the UK - it wouldn't surprise me if the new Sorento is just that bit bigger than the Santa Fe to avoid competing head-on, but that's pure speculation on my part.

We currently own a Freelander 2 GS auto.

Having previously owned a number (3) Kia Sportages - 2x old style petrol manuals and 1x new shape diesel auto I would have bought another Sportage without hesitation. (Unfortunately they no longer do an auto which can tow enough mass for us). The old shape were RWD with manual selection of 4WD and a 'proper' ladder chassis plus low range gearbox. ... The new shape is (as others have stated) on-demand 4WD with normal FWD (or FWD only on the 2WD versions).

If I recall correctly the new shape 2wd versions are limited in the mass they can tow compared to the 4wd (makes sense as a FWD only will NOT be able to start on a hill as well as a 4WD vehicle)..... unfortunately Kia have made a pigs ear of their website and you can't find the specs like you used to. ... You should check out these figures carefully.

The seats on all the Sportages were the most comfortable ones of ANY vehicle we've owned (well perhaps except the Citroen C5 executive were even better). The Freelanders seats aren't quite as good for us.

The FL2 auto beats the Sportage 4WD auto hands down for performance towing and solo - but the Sportage was perfectly adequate. We towed a 1000kg, then 1300kg and latterly a 1500 kg caravan behind them over the years with no real concerns. The miserly noseweight (75kg) of the Sportage was a pain for us in that we had to run with a virtually empty front locker if both gas bottles were full. The FL2 allows 150 - but Alko restrict you to 100, of course.

The Kia warranty and dealers we've encountered cannot be faulted. Service costs were reasonable, but MPG was never great. The paintwork on the latest version we had seemed paper thin and we got innumerable parking/shopping trolley dings on the doors.

Despite having the top spec XS model it lacked steering wheel controls for the radio / CD (but it was MP3 compatible). It also lacked rear parking sensors which I find a godsend on the FL2. We miss the passenger grab handle on the dash which aids entry / exit.

One thing no-one has mentioned is that the indicator and wiper stalks for KIa (and Hyundai) are on the 'correct' side if you drove vehicles in the 70s but the wrong side if you're used to the European standard (indicators on the left wiprs on the right of the column). This results in you flashing people when you want to clear the screen or washing the screen when you mean to flash them. :blush: You do get used to it (in our case we are doing the same in the FL2.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

We've got an '56 Sorento (my Car) a '57 Cee'd (1. 6 113bhp, the Wife's) and a '09 Sportage (2. 0 CRDi Titan, our Old Folk's)

Freelander vs Sportage. No Competition. Spotage Titan (Full Heated Leather etc) about £16k. NEW with a 7 YEAR 100,000 mile warranty.

We bought the Sorento 1st, it's covered 50k with NO faults. .. the Cee'd followed (It's never towed) because of the year and a bit of great service, and now the Spotage has arrived. Between myself and my old's, we tow a Swift Conqueror 480.

Our Spotage is a 4 wheel drive car, which is predominately a front-wheel drive vehicle, until surfaces get twitchy. The XE model is available in front wheel drive only and gets (just) into the lower tax bracket.

The 2009 Cee'd and Sportage ranges have the Indicators on the "Correct" UK Side.

Edited by ADG

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Bought my diesel Sportage new three years ago. It is the best tow car I have owned. It tows my 1450kg Lunar up to and beyond the legal speed limit with ease. It is very stable and is unaffected by passing heavies. I have managed to get 350miles out of a tank of diesel when towing, excellent considering the tank holds just over 12 galls. On second thoughts I am going to send it back, it has finally had a problem, one of the rear indicator bulbs has failed.

Sandy

I hope all the good words about the Sportage are gospel.

I've just committed to a one month old 2WD XS Diesel with under 1,000 miles for £13. 6k with the remaining 6years 11months warranty etc.

Or I can go brand new for £1k more, decision to be confirmed after inspection of the "pre-owned" one!

Opinions?

Edited by Livi

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

I'd go for the £1k new car smell! Also no / less chance of poor driving. (They probalbe race them off the transporter boats anyway!)

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

I tow my Indy (1500kg) with a 2 litre diesel Sporty - and hardly know the van is on the back! I get good mpg both solo and towing.

You get a lot of car for the money - and when I look to change mine, perhaps next year, I'll be going for another Sporty without a doubt. I love it!

Hi Chris. ..Nice to read your comments re Sportage, just bought the same and started using it for towing this April.

Seems great on all counts but reverse seems quite high geared?

Maybe you know something I dont?

Would welcome your thoughts.

Happy Days.

Malc

Kia Sportage CRDI + Coachman VIP 460/2

I have a 2L 07 Sportage diesel 4wd that I tow with, and it's been great, the only problem I've had so far has been a flashing 'Check engine' light to which the 'Kia response' mechanic diagnosed as a 'blocked particulate filter', this was cured by running the vehicle up and down the motorway and keeping a steady 3000rpm for 15mins. This was 6 months ago and no recurrence since.

I spoke to the mechanic and he informed me that the problem arises with too much low rev running, it appears that some of the VW cars are cured the same way of the same problem.

Might be worth knowing and passing on as basic code readers are fairly cheap now.

Ron Mc