Sign in to follow this  
alanperry52

Fridge On Gas

My fridge is "kaput" but works on gas okay,how long would i get running out of a 4. 5kg bottle running 24/7

No idea, but your problem might be lack of electrickery to either 240v AC & 12v DC heating elements. ;)

My fridge is "kaput" but works on gas okay,how long would i get running out of a 4. 5kg bottle running 24/7

I have the Dometic 110 ltr fridge in my Bailey and it uses 270g per 24 hours so approx 16 days on 4. 5kg bottle

I have the Dometic 110 ltr fridge in my Bailey and it uses 270g per 24 hours so approx 16 days on 4. 5kg bottle

The gas consumption will be dependent on the ambient temperature, very roughly proportional to the degrees above freezing - does your manual state the ambient at which the 270g consumption occurs, they usually do.

The gas consumption will be dependent on the ambient temperature, very roughly proportional to the degrees above freezing - does your manual state the ambient at which the 270g consumption occurs, they usually do.

Yes they give this figure at 20 degree C iaw ISO standards - do not think we are going to get above that in UK for a while yet. Southern Spain in height of summer a different matter probably more like 10 days if you like it that hot!! B)

Alan

Yes they give this figure at 20 degree C iaw ISO standards - do not think we are going to get above that in UK for a while yet. Southern Spain in height of summer a different matter probably more like 10 days if you like it that hot!! B)

Alan

More likely below 20 degrees! At least that should improve the gas consumption for the OP, alanperry52.

Does the fridge chill better on gas ? Ours doesn't chill that well at all, so was going to try it on gas to see if it made any difference.

Does the fridge chill better on gas ? Ours doesn't chill that well at all, so was going to try it on gas to see if it made any difference.

Mine does

regards

Lee

Mine does

regards

Lee

I will give it a go over Easter, there is nothing worse than warm beer :D

Caravan fridges often seem to have higher rating on gas, the 12v and 230v usually being comparable.

We keep our caravan at home, with a 230v electric connection, so we cool the fridge on 230v for 24 hours before loading up - the 12v then keeps it cool/frozen during the trip - not something that can be done if a caravan is kept in storage.

Does it chill better on gas? Chill, mine will freeze if I run it on Gas the milk goes slushy.

Edited by ad210358

Caravan fridges often seem to have higher rating on gas, the 12v and 230v usually being comparable.

We keep our caravan at home, with a 230v electric connection, so we cool the fridge on 230v for 24 hours before loading up - the 12v then keeps it cool/frozen during the trip - not something that can be done if a caravan is kept in storage.

I'm not sure the 12v and 230v are comprable. According to Thetford, you should only use 12v to keep the fridge cool, once its been initially cooled. In fact I doubt very much it would ever get colder. Unless you were driving in the Le Mans 24 hr race!

I was informed by the dealer that to give your fridge a boost so to speak, run it in on gas for a hr when setting up as it will cool down quicker on gas than the electic supply. i tryed it last summer and he seemed to be telling the truth.

Does it chill better on gas? Chill, mine will freeze if I run it on Gas the milk goes slushy.

Then perhaps it needs turning down a little, ie change the control to a lower number.

I'm not sure the 12v and 230v are comprable. According to Thetford, you should only use 12v to keep the fridge cool, once its been initially cooled. In fact I doubt very much it would ever get colder. Unless you were driving in the Le Mans 24 hr race!

I can't comment on the Thetfords but all the Electrolux/Dometic caravan fridges I've come across have had almost identical wattage ratings for 12v and 230v - if an Electrolux/Dometic fridge is pre-cooled for 24 hours on 230v, it will freeze the contents of the cooler during 4+ hours towing because there's no control or thermostat on 12v - this does of course depend on car/caravan wiring of sufficient thickness to minimise voltage drop from the alternator.

The last time my fridge started to play up by not getting cold enough on any energy source, I took it out of it's housing with out disconnecting and turned it upside down for half an hour, turned it the right way up, left it to stand for 2hrs turned it on and it worked a treat and it still is.

This won't help you now, but it may be of use one day :D

The last time my fridge started to play up by not getting cold enough on any energy source, I took it out of it's housing with out disconnecting and turned it upside down for half an hour, turned it the right way up, left it to stand for 2hrs turned it on and it worked a treat and it still is.

This won't help you now, but it may be of use one day :D

That’s a good point, absorption fridges sometimes need the chemical refrigerant mixed up. However, because it’s still working on gas I don’t think this is where Alan’s problem lies.

Guest MOG

If you've ever taken a fridge out of a van you will know that the 12volt and 240volt heaters both work on the same tube, one on either side, the same tube that the gas heats up.

The only reason that 12volt operation is restricted to towing (when the engine is running) is that a battery could not deliver the required current for many minutes.

Unless my fridge is unique, the working part that cools the inside of the cabinet is controlled by how hot the chimney gets heated by either gas, 12volts dc or 240volts ac.