Help Please

The Wanderer

Can anyone advise on the best way to fit an awning skirt

I know it goes into the skirt rail but what happens around the wheel arch?

I have purchased a porch awning and there are 2 suckers with holes in the stem ( I assume for the awning skirt)

Will I have to buy something to cover the wheel arch

Jaguar XF 3. 0 D tugging an Swift Challenger Sport 584

We use heavy duty adhesive backed velcro - looks like plastic sticklebricks that interlock together . It's by far the best that we've found . Forget normal velcro or suction cups they wont last long you'll be forever sticking them back on . Search for heavy duty velcro on ebay should turn some up .

The long thin awning skirt normally fits into the rail either side of the wheel arch. There is normally a seperate piece of material that fits over the wheel arch itself. There are various ways of fixing this to the van - velcro, press studs, and using the suckers.

I drilled a small hole in the two press studs on the small skirt and put the suckers with hooks on them through. I then stick these to the side of the van either side of the wheel arch and tuck the skirt behind the big skirt.

HTH.

Graeme.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

I have purchased a porch awning and there are 2 suckers with holes in the stem ( I assume for the awning skirt)

I am assuming that the awning skirt you have only covers the bottom half of the wheel arch? You need a length of fig,8 rail & a section of awning skirt to cover the top half This usualy comes as a kit together with the rubber suckers that the top half of the wheel arch cover is suspended from

The method of fitting is to thread the awning skirt though to the wheel arch,thread on the fig 8 rail & then thread the awning skirt throug the rest of the awning skirt rail. you then thread the wheel arch cover onto the top side of the fig 8 & suspend it from the rubber suckers fixed above the wheel arch

I am assuming that the awning skirt you have only covers the bottom half of the wheel arch? You need a length of fig,8 rail & a section of awning skirt to cover the top half This usualy comes as a kit together with the rubber suckers that the top half of the wheel arch cover is suspended from

The method of fitting is to thread the awning skirt though to the wheel arch,thread on the fig 8 rail & then thread the awning skirt throug the rest of the awning skirt rail. you then thread the wheel arch cover onto the top side of the fig 8 & suspend it from the rubber suckers fixed above the wheel arch

Thats what I do with short lengths of elastic from the 2 top holes to the plastic suckers

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

what happens around the wheel arch?
With the awning skirt in place, a quick-fix is to simply stuff the awning bag into the wheel arch, draping it over the top of the wheel to keep the drafts out, but as stated previously the figure 8 extrusion is the correct way to go.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.