Caravan Tyres

AWanderingLancastrian

I have read that one should change the caravan tyres every 5 years for a fresh set as they tend to stand in one location for a considerable part of that time and the walls deteriorate. This could lead to tyre deflation in travel.

Is this real or is it just another way to make owners buy a new tyre?

Comments! :(:(

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

As I understand it, the Caravan Club recommends that the British Rubber Manufacturers' Association advice on tyres is followed, i. e. that tyres should ideally be replaced when they are five years old and never used after seven years old.

Yossa

My tires are on their sixth year and I’ve just hunted them out of the garage ready for Easter. I think taking them off during the winter helps a bit. There’s no cracks in the side walls, plenty of tread and they are holding pressure, so I’ll give them a run and check them again later.

My spare however might be the original tyre supplied with the caravan when new. It came with the caravan and had never been used. It looks OK, no cracks and holds pressure, but I wouldn’t trust it for general use, but it just might get me out of trouble one day.

Paul & Lynn sunny.gif

As far as I believe it is the tyres in changing temperatire that make them deteriate faster ie in the winter they are in freezing conditions and in the summer red hot sun on them. Leaving the tyres standing in on one spot doesnt do them much good. As long as there are no major signs of detriation ie bulges or cracks you are probably safe but as a rule after 5 years the rubber does deteriate and I would change them for peace of mind.

When ever I buy a van the first thing I do is change all the tyres then that way I know the age of them .

It isnt whether the tryres hold their pressure or not it is the chance of them blowing out on you along a motorway whcih scares me.

You should also be aware thar getting a so called new tyre from a sales and fitting suplier does not mean it`s new,check the side wall for the codeing to get the date of manufacture. It can be found on the CC site.

My tires are on their sixth year and I’ve just hunted them out of the garage ready for Easter. .............

14307[/snapback]

Tyres should be replaced at about 5 years regardless IMO.

We bought our first caravan last year and are looking to change the tyres. A couple of questions.

How do you know how old they are? we looked on the side of the tyre but could not find a date.

One of my tyres has a very small crack - Not a split, how serious is this?

Living in Lincoln, am I best to go to my local dealer for new tyres and any ideas how much for 2 new ones (13inch)

Thank you.

brightredrover, Caravan tyres "tend" to suffer from the harmful effects of UV light, causing the tyre to become brittle over time and as it tends to stay for prolonged periods in one position can be worse in places than others. Small cracking on the sidewalls is an indication that the tyres are beginning to show signs of deterioration, but this is not to say that they need changing straight away. Check the overall condition, and rub your hand over the tyre and see if it crumbles at all, if it does then the deterioration is quite advanced, and you should think about changing the tyres. Th edate code is stamped on the sidewall, along with all th eother info about the tyre, and is normally shown as a 3 or 4 digit number, ie,104 = January 2004, 1004= October 2004.

As for obtaining tyres, look about and find the best deal, as with most things, check local prices and also places like Towsure, remember that caravan tyres ARE different to normal car tyres so the load rating must be adequate. This link has examples of prices, also check out Black Circles, on the web, or phone them:http://www. towingandleisure. co. uk/Frames/Caravan%20Tyres. htm

hi,

I have had my tyres changed on the car by e-tyres very good price http://www. etyres. co. uk, and they fit them at home in storage, on site etc. :D

Could be worth giving them a try beats having to mess around. B)

Paul

ps: and the price is all in, complete with balancing and a free puncture repair service :o

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thanks for all your advice. It is obviously a five year change.

Now I can start looking!! :):):)

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

You will never wear the tread out on a caravan tyre unless to do mega miles, but the sidewall is what will give you problems.

I had this arguement with my dad and his 5 year old tyres, 2 weeks later one blew out and the flapping rubber did £1000 of damage to the caravan.

He changes his tyres every 4 years like me to be safe, and lets face it, they only cost £30 each X 2 !!!

We bought our first  caravan last year and are looking to change the tyres.   A couple of questions.

How do you know how old they are?  we looked on the side of the tyre but could not find a date.

One of my tyres has a very small crack - Not a split, how serious is this?

Living in Lincoln, am I best to go to my local dealer for new tyres and any ideas how much for 2 new ones (13inch)

Thank you.

14411[/snapback]

If you live in lincoln, take off a wheel and take it to Tanvics, they basically supply many of the other tyre dealers in the town and therefore tend to offer a good price. I doubt that many caravan dealers have a qualified tyre fitter and all the right gear in their wokshops and will, I am sure just charge you to take your wheel elsewhere!

Save yourself some cash for a little bit of hassle!!!

I have had my tyres changed on the car by e-tyres very good price http://www. etyres. co. uk, and they fit them at home in storage, on site etc

Paul

Thanks for that link, it looks most interesting. Am I missing something as most new caravans need 6/8 ply tyres but I could not see them. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place. They do mention the differences in terminology and say they can get 6 and 8 ply tyres. Perhaps best to e-mail them with size and requirements. When I need new tyres for the X-Trail I will certainly consider them.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

If you live in lincoln, take off a wheel and take it to Tanvics, they basically supply many of the other tyre dealers in the town and therefore tend to offer a good price.   I doubt that many caravan dealers have a qualified tyre fitter and all the right gear in their wokshops and will, I am sure just charge you to take your wheel elsewhere!

Save yourself some cash for a little bit of hassle!!!

15186[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice however I have just tried them and they cahrged £50 per tyre. have booked in at Brayford caravans in Lincoln with a cost of £45 fitted.

Thanks for the advice however I have just tried them and they cahrged £50 per tyre.   have booked in at Brayford caravans in Lincoln with a cost of £45 fitted.

15337[/snapback]

New wheel and tyre - £54 each from Waudbys. We had 2 new tyres fitted in July 2001 (manufactured in week 38, 2000). Both tyres blew out in June 2004. The manufacturer (Federal) said they were more than 3 years old and therefore not their problem. The supplier (Savoy Tyres in East Yorkshire) has very generously agreed to give 50%.

Unlucky - who knows? C'est la vie.

Mike

Pumped up the tyres on my last van and the tread came away from the wall.

Dont chance tyres. Just not worth it.

Archived