Adria Electrics

Pete C

You cant beat simplicity for an opening line in my book. ........... :lol:

So, are you going to post your problem or question on here, or shall we hold a séance?

How about multiple telepathy?

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

AS you will guess I'm new to this forum (but not frums in generall) and can only assume that I pressed the wrong key. However, if you would like to hold a seance I think it might be quicker!

Hi,

I'm new to caravaning. I've had an Adria Optima (4 berth, mid nineties I think) for about 3 years and it's not used much. I've always had problems with the battery and charging it. It never seemed to charge properly and didn't last long. A bit of Internet research revealed that my battery charger wasn't powerful enough and thaht the trickle charger probably wasn't too good. So I borrowed a Charger/Optimizer form my neighbour which revealed that my existing battery was defunct. So I've bought a new leisure battery (110Ah instead of 85Ah) and a new battery charger/optimizer which I can leave connected all of the time. I was originally thinking that I would use this new optimizer charger as a replacement for the existing Lab-Craft BC1210 but realised that I would then be able to keep the battery charged but not use it to power anything because it would not be connected to the caravan electrics. The charger has an output via an old Bakelite connector which has a 10Amp in line fuse fitted and there are also two 15Amp fuses next to the connector. I don’t know if this output is just straight from the battery or if it is modulated in some way. So would it be safe to leave the BC1210 connected as well as the optimiser or is there some way I can remove this and replace the wiring?

Leave it connected Pete.

I use an decent stage charger in my van, an Oxford Maximiser. I fitted it in and its been in my last 3 vans. Never disconnected anything to be honest, just let it do its job, which it does brilliantly.

Its currently in my Fleetwood, which is actually an Adria Adora.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Pete - although I use a different charger to Brassneck (the smart CTEK XS3600) I agree with the rest of his advice.

My caravan has a 10A on-board power supply which operates at 13. 8v so never fully charges the battery - I just switch the power supply off and leave the CTEK connected permanently.

I'm aware that Adria do use a different concept of electrics to UK caravans but the principles of battery charging are the same.

There are some which will state categorically that "low power" 3-4A smart chargers, like the CTEK, Optimate, Aldi, Lidl, Ring etc aren't man enough to charge a 110 Ah battery - that's nonsense, it just takes longer - but the difference is only a few hours!

Many thanks for both of the replies.

Just a coouple more questions though.

Roger when you say you turn the power off I assume you mean to the on board supply. But do you mean permanently off or just when charging?

The Lab-Craft charger is old and looking quite decrepit so if it gave up the ghost what would I do about the output. Clearly it's charging ability is not necessary because it has been replaced with the CTEK XS3600 which I have bought but is it's output just a straight through connection or is it modified in some way?

Pete - my on-board power supply has a 230v mains switch, which I leave switched off permanently - my CTEK is wired to the leisure battery and is powered up permanently, both at home where we have a 230v connection from the garage and on site through the EHU bollard.

Some, perhaps many, caravans have no mains switch on their on-board power supplies but it's simple enough for an electrically capable person to add an inline switch in the mains supply to the on-board power supply.

I don't have any direct experience of the "continental" approach to caravan wiring that Adria adopt as the power supply is often intended to work without any battery being present.

Hi Roger,

sorry if I sound dense. But from what you say your on board power supply (equivalent to my Lab-Craft 1210) is permanently switched off and I assume that, like my power supply, it has an output to link the battery to the caravan electrics which still works when the unit itself is switched off. Would that be correct?

Pete - my on-board power supply has a 230v mains switch, which I leave switched off permanently - my CTEK is wired to the leisure battery and is powered up permanently, both at home where we have a 230v connection from the garage and on site through the EHU bollard.

Some, perhaps many, caravans have no mains switch on their on-board power supplies but it's simple enough for an electrically capable person to add an inline switch in the mains supply to the on-board power supply.

I don't have any direct experience of the "continental" approach to caravan wiring that Adria adopt as the power supply is often intended to work without any battery being present.

Hi Roger,

sorry if I sound dense. But from what you say your on board power supply (equivalent to my Lab-Craft 1210) is permanently switched off and I assume that, like my power supply, it has an output to link the battery to the caravan electrics which still works when the unit itself is switched off. Would that be correct?

Pete - that's correct - the battery is connected to the caravan electrics permanently (via the car/caravan selector switch) - the switchable on-board power supply is also connected to both the battery and the caravan electrics, and as a modification so is my smart charger.

If I switch off my smart charger and leave the on-board power supply switched off, the caravan electrics would be powered just by the battery.