Problem Adjusting Brakes

kirk

As anyone any info on brake adjustment, my 2005 bailey does not have the starwheel adjustment as it say's in manuel through the hole in the back plate there look's to be some kind of bar with square sticking out more like a brake shoe clip to me. there is no screwdriver slot to adjust as anyone come across this type as i can't find any info on it.

thanks kirk

LUNAR LEXON DS ROYAL HERCULES MOVER, 2017 Seat Alhambra 184 se lux & SSANGYONG REXTON 2. 9 RUNNING ON VEG OIL. 1982 HONDA CX500EC. YAMAHA XJ600S. 2006 FORD KA

The plug that covers the star wheel adjuster is green and very thin

Its shown at the top of the backplate on the Alko diagram but its at the bottom on mine

It might be worth having another look

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Square adjuster used to be quite usual on drum brakes - use exactly the same as star wheel - tighten up until resistance is felt then back off to free.

Square adjuster used to be quite usual on drum brakes - use exactly the same as star wheel - tighten up until resistance is felt then back off to free.

Wasn't that on BPW chassis?

My Haynes Manual says that recent developments on BPW chassis need spanner adjustment

But it was printed in 2000

On the back of the AL-KO brake hub there are two green round plastic covers.

One is for being able to check the thickness of the brake pad.

The lower one is the cover for the star wheel adjuster.

On the back of the AL-KO brake hub there are two green round plastic covers.

One is for being able to check the thickness of the brake pad.

The lower one is the cover for the star wheel adjuster.

Hi Brecon this is not nit picking but

It appears from the Alko instruction sheet and looking at my caravan that the holes can be either at the top of the backplate or the bottom

So to clarify the green cap nearest the edge of the backplate is in line with the brake shoe for thickness inspection etc and the green cap nearer to the backplate centre is for the starwheel

Regards

Hi have checked this out on mine there is no plastic covers on mine i am guessing when it last had service last year dealer not put back the two holes are at bottom of back plate the outer one is for shoe inspection and the inner should be for adjustment but mine is not star wheel. the square that you can see is very small, to small to get socket on i guess about 3 or 4 mil. This its self is on a vertical bar thats turned out towards the backplate at both ends, was thinking of turning this with long nose pliers but it does look like clips i have come across before on car brake shoes that hold the shoe inplace but not quite right as it would be faceing drum not backplate.

thanks kirk

LUNAR LEXON DS ROYAL HERCULES MOVER, 2017 Seat Alhambra 184 se lux & SSANGYONG REXTON 2. 9 RUNNING ON VEG OIL. 1982 HONDA CX500EC. YAMAHA XJ600S. 2006 FORD KA

Alko brake diagram here Brake diagrams Backplate can be fitted either way up i. e. cable entry is at the top or the bottom.

Apologies link not working.

Edited by beejay

As Al-Ko do monitor this forum, can I formally ask on behalf of all our contributors, whether there has been a change in brake adjustment from star wheel to square type?

We seem to have a recent minority who simply don't have the star wheels which were fitted for many years.

Hi thanks just add look at brake diagram and see that its just springs to hold shoes in place so will turn what i think is the adjuster on mine with some long nose pliers ( it still don't look like the ones on diagram though ). I would have thought all 2005 van's with AL-KO systems would be same.

thanks kirk.

Hi have checked this out on mine there is no plastic covers on mine i am guessing when it last had service last year dealer not put back the two holes are at bottom of back plate the outer one is for shoe inspection and the inner should be for adjustment but mine is not star wheel. the square that you can see is very small, to small to get socket on i guess about 3 or 4 mil. This its self is on a vertical bar thats turned out towards the backplate at both ends, was thinking of turning this with long nose pliers but it does look like clips i have come across before on car brake shoes that hold the shoe inplace but not quite right as it would be faceing drum not backplate.

thanks kirk

The wheel(when its there) is end on and you lever it up/down in the direction of an arrow stamped on the backplate

Hi thanks just add look at brake diagram and see that its just springs to hold shoes in place so will turn what i think is the adjuster on mine with some long nose pliers ( it still don't look like the ones on diagram though ). I would have thought all 2005 van's with AL-KO systems would be same.

thanks kirk.

You need a blunt ended screwdriver to do the adjustment. If you look through the hole you are looking at the end of the teeth on the starwheel. Use the screwdriver as a lever on the edge of the hole to turn the starwheel in the direction required.

Apologies for apparently abrupt post above. My original link didn't work so I posted another as, I thought, an edit, but, in fact, it was a new post. If that makes sense :unsure:

Edited by beejay

As Al-Ko do monitor this forum, can I formally ask on behalf of all our contributors, whether there has been a change in brake adjustment from star wheel to square type?

We seem to have a recent minority who simply don't have the star wheels which were fitted for many years.

Hi Roger

I wonder if they don't know what they are looking for(no offence intended and we all have to see things for the 1st time)

Its not easy to see and one man's idea of a star (wheel or otherwise) :D may differ from anothers :unsure:

Watch out Tradetech about . ...................... :ph34r:

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

I will have another look this week end if weather ok, but when i last had it jacked up cleaned up back plate around hole and couldn't find adjustment direction arrow so i will clean up all backpate this time. I have always had trouble with the brakes binding on this van from new had dealer check them a few times and at every previous service but on last trip out wheel must be getting hot as the plastic wheel nut movement things have melted.

thanks all for info.

Post deleted, because Mike was having a "being very thick day".

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

I will have another look this week end if weather ok, but when i last had it jacked up cleaned up back plate around hole and couldn't find adjustment direction arrow so i will clean up all backpate this time. I have always had trouble with the brakes binding on this van from new had dealer check them a few times and at every previous service but on last trip out wheel must be getting hot as the plastic wheel nut movement things have melted.

thanks all for info.

They don't all have the arrow so its trial and error as to when the wheel locks

thanks will bear that in mind.

kirk

They don't all have the arrow so its trial and error as to when the wheel locks

Actually, the star wheel is a nut running on a thread so it is possible to work out which way to turn it.