The Importance Of Good Tyres

caprimadmick

The last time we went out in the van was last year, Cumbria, on the way home we had a blow out on the caravan . As a HGV driver there were no panic stations etc, I just let everthing slow and stop it self ! You'd be supprised how quickly a one wheeled caravan can slow down on its own !!

I got out, put the family at a safe distance and went to change the tyre ! The blown one was o/s on the van so my ass was very close to the 1st lane especially with foreign lorry drivers who hugg the hard shoulder ! Basically struggled to change to wheel on my own however whilst in the process of trying to change it a POLICE TRAFFIC car went past, he had a good eyeball at us and I thought nice one, he'll give me some room by getting traffic out of lane one while I get the wheel off !! NO he drove straight past . I had my family stood on the motorway and I was struggling to get a wheel off coz I was so close to lane 1 .

Maybe if his ANPR camera had flashed up NO TAX no insurance NO MOT, he'd have stopped then !!!!

Anyway my point is, make sure your tyres are sound and if they're a bit old, CHANGE EM . . . . I have learned by my mistake . ....... I have been lucky and I dont wanna dance with the devil again .

Here's what left of it, most was wrapped around the caravan suspension !!!

25082008236.jpg

25082008237.jpg

25082008238.jpg

25082008239.jpg

25082008240.jpg

gallery_1122_263_66.jpg

Glad you're all alright, as a matter of interest, how old was the tyre.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

I can understand your concern over a safety issue like this - but this is New Labour's take on saving Home Office expenditure - to cut police traffic patrols by 86% according to their own figures and deploy the officers on crime.

All of the previous road safety duties have been transferred from the police to Highways Agency - it's them that monitor motorway cameras so they should have closed lane one using the overhead matrix signals and one of their vehicles should have "stood guard" as a high visibility warning, some distance behind you.

. ..... As a HGV driver there were no panic stations etc, . ......

Is there a comparison between towing an umpteen tonne 40' trailer behind a tractor unit on a 5th wheel & car towing a caravan on a 50mm ball? :unsure::unsure:

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 22 2009, 09:37 AM) 240723[/snapback]
Is there a comparison between towing an umpteen tonne 40' trailer behind a tractor unit on a 5th wheel & car towing a caravan on a 50mm ball? :unsure::unsure:

Yes there is I suppose fella, I find towing my caravan much harder tbh !! It does take a good degree of skill to tow safely and unfortunately there's alot of caravaners who are just not upto it !! I've seen so many accidents involving caravan''s where the driver loses control by panicing . Snaking and not catching it quick enough seems the biggest culprit . One of my mates is a Traffic Policeman and he attends loads of RTA's with caravans and its usualy snaking that catch drivers out .

I've only been touring for 3 years and the ammount of 4x4 with big vans going past me @ 70MPH plus is quite disturbing .

I dont know how old the tyre's were, I've replaced them all now BUT they looked absolutely fine, no sidewall damage, good tread and nothing to suggest it was ready to fail big time !! Oh and I defo aint replaced them with WOOSUNG ;)

gallery_1122_263_66.jpg

Yes there is I suppose fella, I find towing my caravan much harder tbh !! It does take a good degree of skill to tow safely and unfortunately there's alot of caravaners who are just not upto it !! I've seen so many accidents involving caravan''s where the driver loses control by panicing . Snaking and not catching it quick enough seems the biggest culprit . One of my mates is a Traffic Policeman and he attends loads of RTA's with caravans and its usualy snaking that catch drivers out .

. ........

I'd say it takes a certain amount of common sence etc to tow a van, as it does to tow (is that the correct term? :unsure:) a 40' trailer, but I wouldn't have thought there was much that was similar.

Smanking 'van? Is that lack of awareness/skill of the driver while towing, or is that a lack of skill when loading it up?

. .....

I've only been touring for 3 years and the ammount of 4x4 with big vans going past me @ 70MPH plus is quite disturbing .

I dont know how old the tyre's were, I've replaced them all now BUT they looked absolutely fine, no sidewall damage, good tread and nothing to suggest it was ready to fail big time !! Oh and I defo aint replaced them with WOOSUNG ;)

Yes I've had that too, and I don't normally daudle, I just make sure I'm going faster than you lot in your HGV's :rolleyes::D

You've probably thrown away the remnants of your tyres, but there's a 4 digit number on your side wall that gives the date of manufacture. The first 2 are the week of the year & the second 2 are the year it was made! It might be handy to know in the future. ;)

Hi Mick,

I'm suprised that the police didn't at least contact the Highways agency to get one of their vehicles to form fend off for your vehicle. I certainly wouldn't have changed that tyre on the hard shoulder, far too risky,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 22 2009, 06:29 PM) 240870[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes I've had that too, and I don't normally daudle, I just make sure I'm going faster than you lot in your HGV's :rolleyes::D

You've probably thrown away the remnants of your tyres, but there's a 4 digit number on your side wall that gives the date of manufacture. The first 2 are the week of the year & the second 2 are the year it was made! It might be handy to know in the future. ;)

Edit: it's not what I thought it was. .. the date code.

Edited by beejay

Slightly off topic, but I think you should have used your breakdown service to change the wheel if you were on the motorway.

It's not a nice job for them either to be honest but it's a damned sight safer for you. If necessary (and it was always something I did when I was in the job) the caravan could be put onto the back of a recovery lorry and moved somewhere safer. Deffo worth the wait.

Regards

Keith

now ex aaman

The opinions posted in this forum are not necessarily those of the author, they may have been influenced by the voices in my head.

. ....

but I think you should have used your breakdown service to change the wheel if you were on the motorway.

. .....

Assuming of course that he has/had some kind of breakdown service . .... :unsure:;)

a POLICE TRAFFIC car went past, he had a good eyeball at us

Just as a matter of interest -- and please excuse my ignorance of these things -- but why should a police car stop --because you have broken down?

My wife had a blow out two days ago in our village -- and the person that stopped was the vicar --a police car had gone by -- the next vehicle to stop was the Green Flag truck to change the wheel.

What is the difference?

I thought police were there to prevent crime. . and as you hadn't -- presumably - committed one and also hadn't asked for their assistance -- WHY should they stop??

Edited by MauriceH

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 24 2009, 07:34 PM) 241667[/snapback]
Assuming of course that he has/had some kind of breakdown service . .... :unsure:;)

Sorry, silly me, just assumed that as he was towing & on the motorway he would have some kind of breakdown cover before he set off. Even if it was only National Breakdown or whatever it is they call themselves these days.

The opinions posted in this forum are not necessarily those of the author, they may have been influenced by the voices in my head.

. .....

Sorry, silly me, just assumed that as he was towing & on the motorway he would have some kind of breakdown cover before he set off. Even if it was only National Breakdown or whatever it is they call themselves these days.

:huh: You've lost me with that one. Not everyone has breakdown recovery, like not everyone has insurance for home contents, car passing its MOT etc etc. It might be a good idea, but it's not compulsary & so not everyone will put their hand in their pocket because more often than not, you'll be OK. ;)

Just as a matter of interest -- and please excuse my ignorance of these things -- but why should a police car stop --because you have broken down?

My wife had a blow out two days ago in our village -- and the person that stopped was the vicar --a police car had gone by -- the next vehicle to stop was the Green Flag truck to change the wheel.

What is the difference?

I thought police were there to prevent crime. . and as you hadn't -- presumably - committed one and also hadn't asked for their assistance -- WHY should they stop??

Hi Maurice,

As far as I know the Police are in existence to Serve and Protect the public and I would have thought that this would come under the banner of protection/accident prevention. As I said earlier I would have thought that they would at least have alerted the Highways Agency,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 24 2009, 07:34 PM) 241667[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Assuming of course that he has/had some kind of breakdown service . .... :unsure:;)

Insurance is just a financial arrangement where certain costs have extra administration and marketing costs added and then shared out over a number of customers - on average over a long period it's more expensive to be insured, so some people are prepared to take the risk.

If I didn't add him onto my CC Mayday policy for £21. 50, my son wouldn't bother having breakdown insurance - and he runs a 10 year old Vauxhall, mind you it is maintained properly!

. .... and he runs a 10 year old Vauxhall . .....

. .... and??? :huh: Whats wrong with that? ;);):D

It's only since I started dragging a 'van around again that I've had any kind of recovery.

Since the blowout was on a motorway it would certainly be much safer to have flashing lights behind you to warn other drivers.

Personally I have breakdown cover, but if I didn't I'd probably use a roadside phone or mobile to alert the Highways Agency and if the Police went past I'd expect them to notify someone as it's a danger to other road users as well as the person at the side of the road.

Back to tyres, regardless of how they look when would you change your tyres? Every 5 years?

Kia Sorento XT & 2009 Swift Challenger 620

Since the blowout was on a motorway it would certainly be much safer to have flashing lights behind you to warn other drivers.

Personally I have breakdown cover, but if I didn't I'd probably use a roadside phone or mobile to alert the Highways Agency and if the Police went past I'd expect them to notify someone as it's a danger to other road users as well as the person at the side of the road.

Back to tyres, regardless of how they look when would you change your tyres? Every 5 years?

Hi,

Yes I would change every five years,

Regards,

Ian.