Using The Awning?

princejim

We are going out for our second trip in the van in a couple of weeks, we have decided on hardstanding this time going to bedgelert. But after the last trip I am a bit confused, not difficult I know. I thought if you had hardstanding you put your Caravan on the hardstanding with it next to the grass side, then pegged your awning out on the grass, with then your car on the otherside of the hardstanding. However, when we were out for the first time people were buying steel tent pegs to peg the awning out on the hardstanding side of the pitch? Is it me?? The other question then is how do you get the tent pegs out of the hardstanding must be set in like concrete, when you pack the awing away??

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

Guest Rimmer

Hard standing can be put in different terms by site.

Some say. ..

The complete pitch is like tarmac and can not be used to put up an awning on.

The complete pitch is of gravel substance, so rock pegs will go in for an awning to be on a hard surface.

The complete pitch is on a all waether surface made from a grass and grid system, so as not to sink in the mud.

A part pitch is where the caravan sits on a tarmac like surface and the awning is put on the grass next to it.

Its best to ask which kind of pitch you can expect at the time of booking.

Edited by Rimmer

We are going out for our second trip in the van in a couple of weeks, we have decided on hardstanding this time going to bedgelert. But after the last trip I am a bit confused, not difficult I know. I thought if you had hardstanding you put your Caravan on the hardstanding with it next to the grass side, then pegged your awning out on the grass, with then your car on the otherside of the hardstanding. However, when we were out for the first time people were buying steel tent pegs to peg the awning out on the hardstanding side of the pitch? Is it me?? The other question then is how do you get the tent pegs out of the hardstanding must be set in like concrete, when you pack the awing away??

If it is you . .. then we're a close 2nd :D We're not keen on hardstandings, although we understand the argument for them. The last time out in our 'van, the CL had just built hardstandings where we parked up on the edge of it and put the awning up on the grass. Given the chance we'd always go for all grass.

edit Ooops! I meant CL :rolleyes:

Edited by Andy B

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

On a CC site, you can pitch any way you want - as long as there's 3m clear between any of your car/caravan/awning/pup tent and the units on adjoining pitches AND 6m clear between facing walls of caravans. CC dropped the regimentation of car/caravan/awning facing forwards but some wardens still impose the old rule.

Some hardstandings are only wide enough for car and caravan so awning has to go on the grass - others are wide enough for all three.

Some hardstandings have such soft soil underneath, the pegs could be pushed in - others were granite or concrete based and bent even rock pegs! From my limited experience, they'll come out easy most of the time.

It took the CC about 20 years of experimenting with size/type of chippings as well as the sub-base to find a "standard" - but CC sites do vary a lot, depending on when they were landscaped.

I carry both the ordinary pegs and 'rock' pegs. Most of the CC pitches I have had recently, have been hardstanding, with the 'van parked in the middle, car parked on the left and awning on the right.

Having once had a very badly draining grass pitch, I must admit I prefer the hardstandings - waking up to a 2ft deep puddle in the awning wasn't the best start to my day. ....... :D

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

I carry both the ordinary pegs and 'rock' pegs. Most of the CC pitches I have had recently, have been hardstanding, with the 'van parked in the middle, car parked on the left and awning on the right.

Having once had a very badly draining grass pitch, I must admit I prefer the hardstandings - waking up to a 2ft deep puddle in the awning wasn't the best start to my day. ....... :D

Martin

Can I ask what you and other forum members put down as a ground cover when you are pitched on the gravel type hardstandings. Clearly no grass to go yellow but a hard and presumably uncomfortable surface to walk on without shoes. I have only got Softex breathable groundsheet so far, and when I used the porch awaning I wondered if any sharp edged gravel would cut the material.

Do any members take some form of carpet, backed or otherwise ?.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

Even bigger problem if hard standing is concrete. Don't think many site owners would appreciate you drilling holes for pegs.

There was a display of tents in Huntingdon yesterday, in a paved square. Instead of pegs, sticky patches about 4x6 inches were holding the tents down. Dunno how much sticky stuff they leave behind though. ..

Martin

Can I ask what you and other forum members put down as a ground cover when you are pitched on the gravel type hardstandings. Clearly no grass to go yellow but a hard and presumably uncomfortable surface to walk on without shoes. I have only got Softex breathable groundsheet so far, and when I used the porch awaning I wondered if any sharp edged gravel would cut the material.

When we use a hardstanding, which is whenever possible, we don't put anything down in the porch - but then we don't walk around barefoot!

Martin

The ssoftex type of groundsheet on top of the gravel makes it much more comfortable to walk around on and they do not seem to do any damage to the groundsheet.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

When we use a hardstanding, which is whenever possible, we don't put anything down in the porch - but then we don't walk around barefoot!

I was asking what people use on hard standings as we will be putting up the full awning on the (hopefully) warmer main holiday periods. On these occasions my daughter and her young children will be staying with us. They will at some point be no doubt taking there shoes off as they will be sleeping in the awning. They will also be bringing inflatable mattresses to which are prone to easy puncture.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

I was asking what people use on hard standings as we will be putting up the full awning on the (hopefully) warmer main holiday periods. On these occasions my daughter and her young children will be staying with us. They will at some point be no doubt taking there shoes off as they will be sleeping in the awning. They will also be bringing inflatable mattresses to which are prone to easy puncture.

Once you put the softex groundsheet down you will have no problems, the surface is not inpleasant without shoes on and I can not imagine that any harm will come to the inflatables.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Once you put the softex groundsheet down you will have no problems, the surface is not inpleasant without shoes on and I can not imagine that any harm will come to the inflatables.

Thanks for the feedback Bill. I think I have got everything ready now to to put up and use our new Ventura awning next time out. It is going to be on grass but the best part of our other trips are planned to be on hardstandings.

Roy & Rita