Spare Wheel Carrier

Guest Tephi

Guest Tephi
You may well find that the padlock will seize up (and the handwheel) as it is directly in line with the spray from the wheel. To solve this, take a small plastic lidded pudding basin (or a small storage tub - about 40p from Tesco) drill a hole through the bottom of it, fit over the bolt - then put the handwheel and padlock on. Then put the lid on - bingo - watertight.

Mike

I finally got round to fitting a plastic pot [49p] over the handwheel of my spare wheel carrier today.

The pot is about 10cm dia x 6cm deep. If you drill a hole in the LID just large enough to go over the bolt, then screw on the handwheel and insert the lock or retaining pin the pot is the placed over and into the lid.

This way it is easier to turn the handwheel instead of trying to get at it inside the pot.

Now it should stay clean & dry ready for the numerous punctures I'll get this year ;)

Guest Tephi
Waxoil, the thick type not the thin spray-on stuff - that's what I use - immerse a lock in it overnight before use, bit messy but works very well.

Sounds ideal for gumming up the lock :lol:

Sounds ideal for gumming up the lock :lol:

No at all - the waxoil inside the lock never sets hard or "gums" anything - I use it "all the time" for things like padlocks and towbar fitting bolts as it means they can be undone years later without snapping them!

• 11 months later...

Al-ko wheel carrier. I think someone has aired this problem before. Caravan now almost 4 years old. Apart from checking the spare wheel (visually and pressure), I have never had it off the carrier. Big mistake - now an unused spare has a tyre with damaged walls due to how it is supported on the very inadequate tubular frame of the carrier.

This means a new tyre, and a serious modification to how it sits on the frame. Now annoyed by two things; (a)not realising what would happen to the tyre, and (b)lack of foresight by the Al-ko design team. Thanks, Al-ko, for the unnecessary cost of scrapping an unused tyre!

How can you trust some of their latest technical innovations, when they can't get it right for something as basic as this?

Al-ko wheel carrier. I think someone has aired this problem before. Caravan now almost 4 years old. Apart from checking the spare wheel (visually and pressure), I have never had it off the carrier. Big mistake - now an unused spare has a tyre with damaged walls due to how it is supported on the very inadequate tubular frame of the carrier.

This means a new tyre, and a serious modification to how it sits on the frame. Now annoyed by two things; (a)not realising what would happen to the tyre, and (b)lack of foresight by the Al-ko design team. Thanks, Al-ko, for the unnecessary cost of scrapping an unused tyre!

How can you trust some of their latest technical innovations, when they can't get it right for something as basic as this?

A deformed sidewall will still get you home in an emergency, if you take it easy.

A tyre should be replaced after 5 years anyway, so you haven't lost that much.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

A deformed sidewall will still get you home in an emergency, if you take it easy.

A tyre should be replaced after 5 years anyway, so you haven't lost that much.

Well, that isn't quite true. If I change the tyres at 5 years, I still have (or should have had) just over a year for that tyre to provide me with reliable service in the case of it being needed. And the damage probably made the tyre unserviceable at 3 years old, or earlier, which means a 2-year-plus loss of use out of that tyre. Expand the principle of accepting sloppy design throughout one's outfit, and its operation would prove very uneconomic. A caravan manufacturer has no more excuse for shoddy design than has the manufacturer of the tow vehicle itself.

I am afraid that, if everyone took the the view expressed by yourself, manufacturers would be very pleased that they could relax their quality control/design costs.

As an additional comment, I count myself fortunate that I found the fault under checking circumstances, rather than being caught with a punctured tyre. As my caravan goes into the dealership annually for service, I am surprised that the fault wasn't found, or that the service personnel aren't apparently sufficiently familiar with the problem to at least warn that regular rotation of the wheel to a different position was advisable.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I took my spare wheel to another tyre depot who examined it more closely. They confirmed that the tyre is serviceable, and the disfigurement of the tyre wall (4 places) is cosmetic.

I have now modified the carrier by fitting a heavily varnished, 600mm diameter x 9mm plywood, secured by four 25mm saddles and screws and nyloc nuts. The screws are countersunk to maintain a completely flat surface for the tyre.

As the current tyre is four years old, it will be replaced next year, and with no risk of damage (cosmetic or otherwise) from prolonged storage under the van.

I have now modified the carrier by fitting a heavily varnished, 600mm diameter x 9mm plywood, secured by four 25mm saddles and screws and nyloc nuts. The screws are countersunk to maintain a completely flat surface for the tyre.

As the current tyre is four years old, it will be replaced next year, and with no risk of damage (cosmetic or otherwise) from prolonged storage under the van.

Sounds a very good idea to me, thanks for the tip!

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.