Swift Sprite Diamond Anniversary Pack

Elm6

I'm awaiting delivery of a Sprite major 5 in April, I'm having the Diamond Anniversary Pack which includes the AL-KO AKS 3004 stabiliser The dealer is telling me I'll need a new ball hitch which he'll supply for £25. I was under the impression that the AL-KO AKS 3004 stabiliser Kit included a AlKO ball hitch.

I ask this question because one guy who picked a caravan up with a fitted AL-KO AKS 3004 stabiliser found a ball hitch in a draw in his new caravan, has any one else had to pay for the Ball hitch when picking up a new Swift Sprite with Diamond pack.

Do all dealers charge for the 13 pin to 2x7 pin conversion leads that are required on new caravans ?

I'm awaiting delivery of a Sprite major 5 in April, I'm having the Diamond Anniversary Pack which includes the AL-KO AKS 3004 stabiliser The dealer is telling me I'll need a new ball hitch which he'll supply for £25. I was under the impression that the AL-KO AKS 3004 stabiliser Kit included a AlKO ball hitch.

I ask this question because one guy who picked a caravan up with a fitted AL-KO AKS 3004 stabiliser found a ball hitch in a draw in his new caravan, has any one else had to pay for the Ball hitch when picking up a new Swift Sprite with Diamond pack.

Do all dealers charge for the 13 pin to 2x7 pin conversion leads that are required on new caravans ?

Hi Elm6

I can confirm the tow ball hitch is not supplied with the caravan. Many tow balls fitted to car are alright but unfortunately some aren't, so if your dealer has checked this for you it may well be that you need the extended tow ball. The AKS requires a slightly extended neck for articulation whilst towing.

The difference is if you buy an AKS from an accessory shop Al-ko supply it with the tow ball as standard in the box. As we buy our chassis pre fitted from Al-ko with stabilisers they dont come with the extended tow balls.

Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

The AKS3004 Stabiliser Kit is intended to convert older caravans - new caravans simply have the hitch, not the kit.

If your car has a swan-neck or detachable ball, then it will be comptatible with the AKS3004 - only two-bolt flanged towbars need the ball changing.

The conversion leads are only required if your car is wired to the old 12N/12S standard - the caravan's 13-pin plug will connect directly to a 13-pin socket on the car.

Hi Elm6, I don't know which area of the country you live to collect, (they have stores in Sheffield, Halesowen & Southampton, but Towsure do the extended towball being discussed here for £10. 95 + £4. 95 P&P so that makes your dealers £25 look expensive.

GPS

Thank you for the replies, now I know the dealer is not charging me extra I can sort out a cheaper supplier like Towball for £10. 95 and conversion leads for £23. 75 all with free delivery as against the dealers £28, making a total saving of £20. 30, which will pay for 3 nights at my favourite THS :)

Yes it's hard to believe spend anything between 12 & 20 grand on a new caravan & they dont even give you the towball, socket converter or even the gas bottle connection pipe ( pigtail) . When i picked up my new swift the dealer based near Delamere forest had ran out of the socket converter leads customer's had to wait around all day until they got extra stock in from their Wrexham branch . So don't rely on the dealer having them in stock go prepared !

I think it is a dealer thing. When we bought our Charisma 620 (admittedly more than a year ago now). Our dealer provided an Al-Ko towball, pigtail and gas connector FOC and this was after an already cracking deal. I was quite ready to pay for these items but they included them as a matter of course with the van.

Times may be different now, however!

Cheers

Keith

To be honest I'm now very angry with the dealer, until you posted about the pigtail I was under the impression that was part of the caravan, is there anything else that has to be purchased before I take the caravan away from the dealers I presume I get wheel nuts. :angry:

When I placed the order for the Sprite major 5 he told me it would be early April and that he'd phone me with a definite day next week, that was over 2 weeks ago, yesterday I phoned him he said it may be just before or just after Easter (in other words he has no idea) If they say they are going to phone you with information, then they should phone you.

I've had with dealers and caravan manufacturers, This is what I've had to go through to buy a new caravan, all this started back in January The Joy And Sorrow Of Trying To Buy A New Caravan, A diary of despair I'm getting to the point of giving up with caravanning after 30+ years with all this hassle, it seems your having to double check everything and they just don't care about you the customer other than trying to get every penny they can in return for shoddy Goods and service. I can't rely on any of these so called professionals, at every turn I'm being miss led or conned into parting with more money when I go to pick up a new caravan. It's not good enough :angry::angry::angry:

When we picked up our used caravan the dealer asked what type of gas bottle we were going to use and gave us a pigtail to suit f. o. c.

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

Anything that need to fit a specific won't get provided - there are three basic gas variations, all with different fittings - Calor propane, Calor butane and BP Gaslight - so the pigtail can't be included.

There are three different car towballs - detachable, swan-neck and bolted ball - only one of which is incompatible with an Al-Ko hitch.

The battery won't be provided as standard - there are various sizes and specifications available.

You won't get jacking points or a jack, even if you get a spare wheel - now that's stupid!

Anything that need to fit a specific won't get provided - there are three basic gas variations, all with different fittings - Calor propane, Calor butane and BP Gaslight - so the pigtail can't be included.

There are three different car towballs - detachable, swan-neck and bolted ball - only one of which is incompatible with an Al-Ko hitch.

The battery won't be provided as standard - there are various sizes and specifications available.

You won't get jacking points or a jack, even if you get a spare wheel - now that's stupid!

Sorry but this is incorrect, admittedly it depends which van you buy, bit quite a few are supplied with jacks, mine being one of them, (Oh and i was supplied with the ALKO tow ball as well).

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

To be honest I'm now very angry with the dealer, until you posted about the pigtail I was under the impression that was part of the caravan

Elm6,

You should speak to your dealer again and double check because you shouldn't have to pay for the pigtail, one should be provided to you.

We don't put them in at the factory as we don't know your gas and bottle preference,

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Sorry but this is incorrect, admittedly it depends which van you buy, bit quite a few are supplied with jacks, mine being one of them, (Oh and i was supplied with the ALKO tow ball as well).

Phil.

Yes, I should have posted "you won't get jacking points or a jack on most models" I am aware that Bailey Senator range does have them fitted but Sprites, like the OP has and other Swift Group models certainly don't.

Why don't all the people who receive free Al-Ko towballs, but don't need them with detachable or swan-neck towbars, sell them to all those who don't get a free Al-Ko towball but need one for a bolted ball/two bolt flange towbar?

Why don't all the people who receive free Al-Ko towballs, but don't need them with detachable or swan-neck towbars, sell them to all those who don't get a free Al-Ko towball but need one for a bolted ball/two bolt flange towbar?

Better still, as you got it free with your caravan, why not give it away free of charge.

Lets get the ball rolling (forgive the pun), I have an AL-KO flanged towball that fits all the AL-KO stabiliser heads.

Anyone who wants it can have it free of charge, you just pay the postage, I live near Chesterfield, North East Derbyshire if you want to arrrange to meet and collect.

GPS

Better still, as you got it free with your caravan, why not give it away free of charge.

Lets get the ball rolling (forgive the pun), I have an AL-KO flanged towball that fits all the AL-KO stabiliser heads.

Anyone who wants it can have it free of charge, you just pay the postage, I live near Chesterfield, North East Derbyshire if you want to arrrange to meet and collect.

GPS

Mine came with the AKS Triple Pack as I converted the caravan when I changed cars - I sold it for a tenner !!

When we picked up our used caravan the dealer asked what type of gas bottle we were going to use and gave us a pigtail to suit f. o. c.

Our dealer always supplies a pigtail too, in fact they ask when placing your order which gas you are using and supply the correct pigtail. When required they also provide an ALKO towball free and a number plate.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

From my experience i've had 2 new vans from Discover group neither have come with pigtail, towball, socket converter, number plate or jack which i found rather annoying . However in contrast new vans from Stewart Longtons come with at least the pigtail, towball & number plate fitted . I think it should be a legal requirement that new caravans come with a spare wheel & jack but no, dealers insist on giving you a crummy caravan step that is guaranteed to slip from under you the first time you use it !

From my experience i've had 2 new vans from Discover group neither have come with pigtail, towball, socket converter, number plate or jack which i found rather annoying . However in contrast new vans from Stewart Longtons come with at least the pigtail, towball & number plate fitted . I think it should be a legal requirement that new caravans come with a spare wheel & jack but no, dealers insist on giving you a crummy caravan step that is guaranteed to slip from under you the first time you use it !

Blame the Europeans!

EN1645, to which all NCC-approved caravans are built, requires the provision of a step if the caravan floor is above a certain height - spare wheels aren't considered necessary on European cars or caravans.

To be fair to my dealers, who I wouldn't go to again because of poor service. When I bought my Lunar it had the Alko hitch fitted they changed the towball FOC.

Mind you that could be because. ...........

They let me down on the delivery.

They then tried to give me the wrong caravan.

The van was dirty when I did collect it. After 3 60 mile round trips, I accepted it. :angry:

Regards
Ian

Does EN 1645 also state that the step must be designed to slip from under you causing much hilarity for observers ?!!

I decline to answer that on the grounds it might incriminate me!

My wife dislocated her elbow when she slipped off ours.

I'd better have a word with the dealer, to see exactly what he's suppling.

Edited by Elm6

• 4 weeks later...
Elm6,

You should speak to your dealer again and double check because you shouldn't have to pay for the pigtail, one should be provided to you.

We don't put them in at the factory as we don't know your gas and bottle preference,

Andy

I've got every thing in place ready to pick up the caravan Tomorrow, or so I thought I've just rung him to make sure, he now tells me I'll have to pay for the pigtail. He certainly wants his pound of flesh, I'm glad I've managed to sell the caravan I was trading in at least I got what I thought it was worth.

If I was to do this again knowing what I know now I think I could have got a better deal, Discount for cash and a few of these extras thrown in, still I hope some one else may benefit from this if they go to buy a new caravan, all these little extras you have to have on a new caravan add up, especially if you only realise at the time your picking it up and your left buying them at the dealers prices.