Bells & Whistles

R U Sure

What a great day to pick up a new van - sun shining, gleaming handsome caravan. I have to say DW, Explorer and a highly recommended retailer at Ashington came through and got my new van ready, complete with all the bells and whistles - It looks great, tows brilliant and has some well thought out features - including eyebrows! The IDC seems to operate/adjust on breaking as the caravan eases against the coupling, feels quite reassuring. Looking forward to a trip to the Lakes next week to try everything out - can't wait.

Audi Q5 TDI Quattro - Swift Conqueror 570

What a great day to pick up a new van - sun shining, gleaming handsome caravan. I have to say DW, Explorer and a highly recommended retailer at Ashington came through and got my new van ready, complete with all the bells and whistles - It looks great, tows brilliant and has some well thought out features - including eyebrows! The IDC seems to operate/adjust on breaking as the caravan eases against the coupling, feels quite reassuring. Looking forward to a trip to the Lakes next week to try everything out - can't wait.

The IDC works on side to side motion, not front to rear.

Probably the fact its new and smooth that it feels gentle on breaking.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

The IDC works on side to side motion, not front to rear.

Probably the fact its new and smooth that it feels gentle on breaking.

Yep - I think I need a few trips to get used to the 'feel' of the whole set up. Not sure if you're supposed to hear anything from the IDC or anything else when stopping. Never heard anything like this before other than the odd creak and groan [need to be careful what I say!] There's certainly a quiet whine when stopping and again when stopped when the coupling eases off. I havn't figured out what the self test part of the system means when driving - like at traffic lights or in a queue for while.

I'm wading through all the bumph you get - part of the pleasure! Can't beat this forum though for caravan know how.

Yep - I think I need a few trips to get used to the 'feel' of the whole set up. Not sure if you're supposed to hear anything from the IDC or anything else when stopping. Never heard anything like this before other than the odd creak and groan [need to be careful what I say!] There's certainly a quiet whine when stopping and again when stopped when the coupling eases off. I havn't figured out what the self test part of the system means when driving - like at traffic lights or in a queue for while.

I'm wading through all the bumph you get - part of the pleasure! Can't beat this forum though for caravan know how.

The only noise you will get from your IDC is when you first couple up and it goes through its self checking routine and you will find it very loud, or shall I say mine is!

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

• 3 weeks later...
The only noise you will get from your IDC is when you first couple up and it goes through its self checking routine and you will find it very loud, or shall I say mine is!

Thanks to you and Brassneck for your interest - I felt sure my IDC was not operating correctly and after a bizarre drive to the Lakes and back found my IDC had been connected to the car's brake circuit!! The red wire having been assumed was the permanent live - it's not! The IDC was doing a self test every time I braked.

Dealer sorted out straight away of course but I needed a day off work collect the and return the van etc. All could have been avoided if the factory had fitted as I had requested prior to taking delivery. Mine was the first fit at this dealer. I can understand it was a relatively easy mistake to have made but it created a very dangerous configuration.

Explorer would be well advised to highlight to dealers that attention must be given to the correct colour connections.

R U Sure

Have read your posts and then checked the installation information provided by BPW.

This is clear but have asked BPW to highlight the need for correct wiring in there next issue of the information.

Many Thanks

David

From 22/05/15 no longer working for Elddis