Mr Shifter

Guest madrat

Guest madrat

I am thinking of getting a (used) Mr Shifter or similar. I don't want a mover attached to van due to the weight, and I only need it to move the van on and off the drive. Dose anyone have any experience of these? Its a gravel drive so I will need the bigger knobbly tyres, and I see from the web site that MR Shifter is into its 3rd incarnation but any knowledge you can give me on this and other makes would be appreciated. ;)

Whilst I had used a Mk 1 for many years and found it excellent within its limitations, that experience was not with use on gravel and I suspect this is a critical aspect.

Mine was on tarmac and concrete surfaces, over about 20 metres and with a 1:14 inclined dip.

With a 1100Kg van it was first rate wet or dry, however on moving to a 1700Kg van the mass of the van could take charge going downhill when the surface was wet.

It never lacked enough power, it was limited by the traction/grip between it's tyre and the surface when wet, the Achilles heel of all these devices. In this regard the Shitfa is the best of the bunch because it benefits from the extra weight of the units battery rather than just the nose weight.

Hi,

I believe that Lenny (Brassneck) did a lot of research on movers so you might like to send him a PM,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

thanks I will look up Brassneck.

Cant PM him he has it turned off. :mellow:

"Cant PM him he has it turned off" How can that be ? You cannot turn off email

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Sorry my personal messenger WAS turned off.

I presume thats an automatic feature when you are *banned* for a short period for breaking forum rules, as i was.

Its now back on so should be ok.

As for Mr Shifta, well as Ian said ive had them all, from a hand powered hitchdrive to a fitted Rhyno motor mover, and everything in between.

Look up my thread on here somewhere, if i can find it i will post the link, but basically the Shifta is good in limited parameters.

An example is my mate who uses his to move his twin off a flat drive, onto flat road, spin 90 degrees and up to car, no problem. Mine had to move twin off sloping driveway, 60 degrees turn in a cul de sac onto car. But my road isnt flat and level and curves a bit. The Shifta had the power, but lost traction as the van went from one angle to another, down drive, then down kerb then trying to turn on road.

My opinion anything other than flat smooth and level surface, and i'll include grass in that on turf pro tyres, anything other will be a struggle.

Only thing i found to move my twin at 1600 kgs down drive, turn and drag it no problem was a jockey wheel mounted eurotech bigfoot mover. That even dragged the same van across a field, albeit flat and dry, but it did it no problem.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Right madrat hit search at the top, then advanced options.

Do a search for the keyword "movers" under my username which you put in the right hand side box, then hit search.

Theres a good few pages of information there.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Right madrat hit search at the top, then advanced options.

Do a search for the keyword "movers" under my username which you put in the right hand side box, then hit search.

Theres a good few pages of information there.

Link

GPS

Guest madrat

Thanks I will have a read. Defiantly don't want one that fits where the jockey wheel fits as Alko say they can damage the chassis. It will also invalidate the warranty on a new van.

My drive and the road are pretty level so I should be OK. Its a pity you cant get a mains powered one.

Ah another one to consider then. And if I add my mass into the equation the chances of loss of traction will be minimal :lol:

I have a mr shifta 2 works a treat but selling it due to wanting to have a mover on siye as well.

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

Guest madrat

Well we have decided to get a Rhyno mover fitted to the van. It weighs in at 29KG sits the highest off the ground and only costs £725 fitted. And they are just up the road from us.