Eurotunnel And Cycles

Tickle

Hi,

New member, new to caravanning, new caravan (to us), new post on a new problem from an old worrier. I'm about to book Eurotunnel and I'm wondering how easy the access to the gas tap needs to be. I've got an 'A' frame bikerack, and I would need to take both bikes off to open the front locker - a minute or two of undoing straps, removing the bikes and dropping the support bar forward, then the same in reverse. Has anyone had experience of this? Are the tunnel officials likely to refuse to carry me? I'm trying to get out of putting the bikes in the van for the crossing.

Hope you can help,

Dave

Not likely to refuse to carry you BUT they may insist on seeing that the LPG cylinders are well and truly shut off - they checked us two years ago when we came back from France.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Not sure how many times we have crossed via the tunnel with the van but it must be 6/8 times and on every crossing they have insisted on checking the gas so I expect they will be unlikely to accept your word!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi Tickle,

We have got the same set up as you and yes they will insist on checking the front locker. Guess what? they never checked the locker on our return on the French side. When the customs found it was going to take a few minutes to check they just shrugged their shoulders and waved us through.

Regards

Nidge

BMW X5 Sport, Shogun 3. 2 Elegance, Hymer Nova 570 GL

I never travel with the Gas turned on anyway.

I don't either and perhaps the other 99% don't. However the customs on our side will not take your word for it and will insist on a visual check of your gas bottles.

Regards

Nidge

BMW X5 Sport, Shogun 3. 2 Elegance, Hymer Nova 570 GL

I don't either and perhaps the other 99% don't. However the customs on our side will not take your word for it and will insist on a visual check of your gas bottles.

Regards

Nidge

Hi,

So carry a dummy bottle and hose, where they can see it. :blink: Er. ...I don't think anyone will follow that advice, I was joking.

You miss the point.

Its not about having the gas turned on or off, its having the bottle disconnected is what they check for.

There may be some other Ts&Cs, but the Eurotunnel site doesn't actually say the bottle has to be disconnected, but it does say the bottle(s) must be easy to check and all taps off. It also says LPG powered vehicles are not allowed to travel.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

I checked with Eurotunnel and had a reply this morning to say that my having to remove the bikes for them to check the gas won't be a problem. I guess I should have emailed them in the first place, but many thanks for your replies. After years of touring France, mostly on a tandem and staying in chambres d'hote, it will be a bit of a change to take our own accommodation. I hope we can get as much interaction with the locals as we have done on the tandem - a great conversation opener, albeit mostly with lycra-clad cyclistes too old to carry off the look.

Dave

Regards

Nidge

Brassneck

You miss the point.

Its not about having the gas turned on or off, its having the bottle disconnected is what they check for.

Apologies. Point Accepted.