12s Socket Melted

Gonzo

Just seen that the central pin in my 12s socket has melted. I believe this is the earth for the fridge circuit. I seem to remember reading about some problem . Anyone remember what it was and what actions to avoid it?

Disco 3 & Bessacar Cameo 625 gl

Hi rogerl, I know your suggestion would solve it but the thought of the cost of land rover 13 pin kit frightens me to death and I would not wish to connect using any other kit due to potential problems.

Thx

Bernie

Just seen that the central pin in my 12s socket has melted. I believe this is the earth for the fridge circuit. I seem to remember reading about some problem . Anyone remember what it was and what actions to avoid it?

the usual cause is due to pin 7 closing up causing a loose fit & generating heat. make sure that the pins are a tight fit by using a penknife to open up the segments of the pin slightly & using somthing like vasaline to lubricate the pins/sockets youcan also do a small wiring mod as shown http://www. towbex. net/40024/info. php?p=15&pno=0

hopethis helps TD

Keep the pins clean and try not to wriggle the plug to much putting it in and taking it out.

Check the pins and sleeves regularly to ensure they haven't closed up or opened out.

the usual cause is due to pin 7 closing up causing a loose fit & generating heat. make sure that the pins are a tight fit by using a penknife to open up the segments of the pin slightly & using somthing like vasaline to lubricate the pins/sockets youcan also do a small wiring mod as shown http://www. towbex. net/40024/info. php?p=15&pno=0

hopethis helps TD

I did that mod some years ago after meltdown and no further problems

You can use single strand 2. 5mm insulated mains cable to make small bridges

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

I did that mod some years ago after meltdown and no further problems

You can use single strand 2. 5mm insulated mains cable to make small bridges

And the advantage of doing that mod also means that towing vans of pre 1998 vintage the battery will still get charged.

My thanks to all of you. Once again it shows the value of this site. My memory is now of course jolted and I "remember" the solution. Big thanks again to all of you. Now, where is that spare 12s socket. .......

Cheers

Bernie

My thanks to all of you. Once again it shows the value of this site. My memory is now of course jolted and I "remember" the solution. Big thanks again to all of you. Now, where is that spare 12s socket. .......

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie

We had exactly the same problem a couple of years back and solved it from forum advice.

To be belt and braces (in socket and replacement plug ) we linked pins:

2 - 6 and 7 - 5 and have since had no trouble.

The best wire is 28/30 17. 5 amp load.

It also pays to splay the pin once a year and, if possible, not wriggle the connection too much at insertion and extraction.

Have a super season.

Bernie

We had exactly the same problem a couple of years back and solved it from forum advice.

To be belt and braces (in socket and replacement plug ) we linked pins:

2 - 6 and 7 - 5 and have since had no trouble.

The best wire is 28/30 17. 5 amp load.

It also pays to splay the pin once a year and, if possible, not wriggle the connection too much at insertion and extraction.

Have a super season.

I joined the terminals as you say above but found that using 2. 5mm insulated single strand mains cable you could make small bridges that were easier to get into the terminals than using stranded cable ;)

My mod was in the curly cable plug which I have since used on 4 caravans with no further meltdown :D

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE