I Need 180 Mph Tyres For My Caravan.

Guest tyke65

Guest tyke65

If I tow in France, the van has to have tyres with the same rating as the towing car. That means that if I tow the van with my Golf GTI 30 (225/40/18 ZR) I will need the same spec tyres for the van.

Can I get 180 mph tyres for the van?

If I tow in France, the van has to have tyres with the same rating as the towing car. That means that if I tow the van with my Golf GTI 30 (225/40/18 ZR) I will need the same spec tyres for the van.

I am sure that for temporary imports (i. e. holidays) if the unit is legal in the uk, it is legal in the EU, therefore tyres should not be an issue.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong ;)

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

don't know Tyke, but I'd love to see you towing at 180mph :D

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

ZR tyres aren't rated at 180mph, they're simply rated at >150mph.

Y rated tyres are ok up to 186mph.

For France, as long as your caravan tyres are rated for 87mph, N rated and above, you shouldn't have any problem.

I am sure that for temporary imports (i. e. holidays) if the unit is legal in the uk, it is legal in the EU, therefore tyres should not be an issue.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong ;)

Martin W

Yes and no - that concession is correct as far as the motor vehicle goes - it doesn't apply to trailers or outfits.

EC rules don't always apply in France !!

My Bailey handbook say that tyres on my S7 Provence must not exceed 81mph, Im off to France this year are the tyres OK, do I have to change tyres as vans only a month old. Doubt I will be exceeding 60mph.

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

My Bailey handbook say that tyres on my S7 Provence must not exceed 81mph, Im off to France this year are the tyres OK, do I have to change tyres as vans only a month old. Doubt I will be exceeding 60mph.

Brian

I've not heard of caravanners specifying different tyres for French holidays, even if they take advantage of their higher towing limit (81mph in the dry).

France requires tyres suitable for the maximum legal speed, 130 kph, on ALL vehicles permitted to travel, legally, at that speed. So, car + trailer = 130 kph.

Edited by beejay

what with signs on the rear of long outfits in Spain (see other thread) and now possible different tyres in France, its all getting a bit ridiculous :blink: thought one the the so called advantages of the EU was standardisation - guess not (apart from EMPs and our MPs expenses of course, but don't get me started :angry:

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

what with signs on the rear of long outfits in Spain (see other thread) and now possible different tyres in France, its all getting a bit ridiculous :blink: thought one the the so called advantages of the EU was standardisation - guess not (apart from EMPs and our MPs expenses of course, but don't get me started :angry:

Try buying tyres which can't be used in France - I can't find any A-L rated tyres.

don't know Tyke, but I'd love to see you towing at 180mph :D

Hi,

A mate had a police "scanner". He tuned into a police chase. ......a stolen trailer horsebox being chased over the Brecon Beacons at 100mph.

France requires tyres suitable for the maximum legal speed, 130 kph, on ALL vehicles permitted to travel, legally, at that speed. So, car + trailer = 130 kph.

My understanding also. This regulation has been in place for many years and is not something new.