Old Propane. What's The Shelf Life?

lauriesandra

As we are just about 95% electric now, even the new BBQ is leccy! So. It looks like a 5kg bottle of BP Gas Lite will probably last us over 2 years, at the rate we use it.

I am wondering. Does LPG (propane) stay good with time or does it go off? Does it have a shelf life, so to speak? Anyone?

Laurie.

Swift Fairway 540 & Kia Sorento Titan Auto

Follow My Twitterings

388044000975.jpg Our photos with our camp site reviews.

Guest iancjc

laurie

If so it would explain why, after a winter of non use, the cooker and fire can be a ***** to light. .....

I'll open a bottle tomorrow whilst having a fag and see what happens. .....

Listen for the bang around 10 am

Edited by iancjc

Guest iancjc

think i'll wait until i'm in Peterboro on Friday.

should ensure i have some space around me pitch and theres nothing worth destroying up there either.

laurie

If so it would explain why, after a winter of non use, the cooker and fire can be a ***** to light. .....

I'll open a bottle tomorrow whilst having a fag and see what happens. .....

Listen for the bang around 10 am

We don't have any problem lighting the cooker - the fridge, room heater and water heater are only fired up once a year at service because we use EHUs.

As we are just about 95% electric now, even the new BBQ is leccy! So. It looks like a 5kg bottle of BP Gas Lite will probably last us over 2 years, at the rate we use it.

I am wondering. Does LPG (propane) stay good with time or does it go off? Does it have a shelf life, so to speak? Anyone?

Either you or the bottle will 'go off' before the propane. It has a very long shelf life.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Hi laurie,

We use a Propane cylinder for around 2 to 3 years and there's no problem. Thinking back to when I used to work I can't think I was ever told that LPG deteriorated in time and, if it did, we would have been told as it could change it's behaviour whan involved in fire,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hello, considering that oil and gas was made from plankton about 180 million years ago, in the Jurassic age, it is unlikely that it should go off in a couple of years now. As long as you bottle is tight you should have no worries for a few years. Kjell

Edited by KjellN

Hello, considering that oil and gas was made from plankton about 180 million years ago, in the Jurassic age, it is unlikely that it should go off in a couple of years now. As long as you bottle is tight you should have no worries for a few years. Kjell

Petrol goes off!

Actually, it's the various high octane components which are added to get the RON to a standard level, eg 95, as these components are more volatile and evaporate off. Supermarket petrol is "better" because the rapid throughput ensures regular fresh supplies - small country garages being the worst due to their low turnover.

This particularly applies to performance cars, not used regularly during winter - the high octane fuel in the tank may start out at 99 RON, but can end the winter at 95 RON - with very undesirable effects.

Diesel doesn't evaporate (at ambient temperatures, anyway) so I presume isn't subject to the same problem.

As long as you bottle is tight you should have no worries for a few years. Kjell

If it isn't, it will have gone. ........off. :P