Motor Movers

john1944

Just returned from my inaugral journey with a New Bailey Provence. One problem I had was concerning the Truma SE Motor Mover. Although the rollers operate fine, the mecahism that operates the engagement and disengagement to the wheels seems to malfunction. Several times I have been unable to fulfill this task, and only now when I have returned home have I aquainted myself with the manual over ride for this facility.

But for gear that costs £1400 manual over rides should not be necessary. Any one out there please with any ideas, or has encountered this problem. John

Guest iancjc
Just returned from my inaugral journey with a New Bailey Provence. One problem I had was concerning the Truma SE Motor Mover. Although the rollers operate fine, the mecahism that operates the engagement and disengagement to the wheels seems to malfunction. Several times I have been unable to fulfill this task, and only now when I have returned home have I aquainted myself with the manual over ride for this facility.

But for gear that costs £1400 manual over rides should not be necessary. Any one out there please with any ideas, or has encountered this problem. John

I've had the TE for almost 3 years and never had a problem with the electric engagement - but as I'll doubtless now have an issue! whats the manual overide?

Edited by iancjc

I've had the TE for almost 3 years and never had a problem with the electric engagement - but as I'll doubtless now have an issue! whats the manual overide?

On the front of each of the motors there is a rubber gromit. Prize that out with a small screw driver, and you should have a tool that winds the rollers in or out.

May be that I am not operaring the thing properly, will check it out tomorrow when quiet !!!

On the front of each of the motors there is a rubber gromit. Prize that out with a small screw driver, and you should have a tool that winds the rollers in or out.

May be that I am not operaring the thing properly, will check it out tomorrow when quiet !!!

Is the battery in good condition?

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

John,

I have just purchased a new caravan and had a Truma SE fitted. Just been out on our first trip, and the moover stopped whilst moving off pitch, and I had to retract the moovers using the 'override' spanner. Called in at the dealers on the way home and they found that there was a loose wire on the battery terminal, this was tightened and all worked ok. The mechanic said that over 90% of problems he had encountered with these movers had been due to 'power' problems as only a slight voltage drop seems to affect them quite dramitically.

Thanks. ......Paul

Outfit - Sterling Eccles Solitaire + Vauxhall Antara SE 184 Auto

John,

I have just purchased a new caravan and had a Truma SE fitted. Just been out on our first trip, and the moover stopped whilst moving off pitch, and I had to retract the moovers using the 'override' spanner. Called in at the dealers on the way home and they found that there was a loose wire on the battery terminal, this was tightened and all worked ok. The mechanic said that over 90% of problems he had encountered with these movers had been due to 'power' problems as only a slight voltage drop seems to affect them quite dramitically.

Thanks. ......Paul

Thank you Paul, sounds promising, will have a look at the cable tomorrow.

John

Our TE mover was one of the first ever made when it came out in 2006. Indeed our brand new Swift 645 sat at the dealers for over three weeks waiting for it to come in and be fitted. We were chewing the brick waiting. Since fitting it has been faultless ( that statement will come around and bite my bum ). Super bit of kit.

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Thank you Paul, sounds promising, will have a look at the cable tomorrow.

John

Hi,

If you get no joy after checking the cables get your battery checked out under load before checking anything else

Ant

Atom

If it sounds too good to be true-----it probably is !!!

I'm seriously considering getting a Powrtouch3 installed, and think it'll make life a fair bit easier. .. however I cannot help but think they are way over-priced. Is there really 700 odd quids worth of technology there??

towcar #1: Vauxhall Vectra 1. 9 CDTi 150

towcar #2: Honda CR-V 2. 2 CDTi

caravan: Compass Corona 475

Guest Tephi
I'm seriously considering getting a Powrtouch3 installed, and think it'll make life a fair bit easier. .. however I cannot help but think they are way over-priced. Is there really 700 odd quids worth of technology there??

How much is your back / health worth? £700 inc. fitting was worth it for me :)

Edited by Tephi

Hi, if you need one then they're worth the money but if you have no need it's wasted, to state the bleedin' obvious :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Our TE mover was one of the first ever made when it came out in 2006. Indeed our brand new Swift 645 sat at the dealers for over three weeks waiting for it to come in and be fitted. We were chewing the brick waiting. Since fitting it has been faultless ( that statement will come around and bite my bum ). Super bit of kit.

SuperMike,

Having just collected our 07 Coachman Laser 590/4 fitted with the TE, I would like to know whether yours moves in a straight line or like ours jerkerly. Has the SE on the previous van and never had any problems - perfect movement. Very interested to know as the only time we have used the TE was when we returned the new van to storage which has gravel not tarmac and the jockey wheel seem to be steering the van with jerky movements.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Elaine, Diane and 6 5 7 5 4 rescued Yorkies
Nissan Pathfinder AventuraTekna followed by Coachman Laser 590/4 620/4
'Drives' a Pride ColtSport towing a doggy caravan when not driving the above outfit!!!

A pneumatic jockey wheel will help, but shouldn't be 'jerky'

Ant

Edited by Atom

Atom

Plus the 5 year warranty you also get ;)

Atom

SuperMike,

Having just collected our 07 Coachman Laser 590/4 fitted with the TE, I would like to know whether yours moves in a straight line or like ours jerkerly. Has the SE on the previous van and never had any problems - perfect movement. Very interested to know as the only time we have used the TE was when we returned the new van to storage which has gravel not tarmac and the jockey wheel seem to be steering the van with jerky movements.

Any thoughts appreciated.

In a straight line, perfect movement, but when turning it moves like a snake to take the presure of the turn off of the tires. Not a quick turn but with only two motors the best your going to get.

Still a super bit of kit.

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Thanks Mike. Yes jerky on the turning really didn't get a straight run because caravans on both sides!!! Will have to wait until we get on site over the bank holiday then we will give it a good try out.

Elaine, Diane and 6 5 7 5 4 rescued Yorkies
Nissan Pathfinder AventuraTekna followed by Coachman Laser 590/4 620/4
'Drives' a Pride ColtSport towing a doggy caravan when not driving the above outfit!!!

Thanks Mike. Yes jerky on the turning really didn't get a straight run because caravans on both sides!!! Will have to wait until we get on site over the bank holiday then we will give it a good try out.

The jerky movement is caused by the inner motor pulsing to take the pressure off the inner tyres. Its supposed to do that.

Regards

David

You couldn't make one out of a £20 Meccano set!

If you need one, they're worth £1,000s (but don't tell PowerTouch or Truma).

If you don't need one, they're worth nothing as they cost money and increase the caravan weight!

Ok.

I have an SE bought from a car scappy who had recovered a crashed car and van :( The SE's had only been released that month and I reckon this one had only been used the once for hitching up on what turned out to be an ill-fated trip. (He didn't have a clue what it was and if I told you how much I paid it would make you sick! :D)

So, I fitted it myself and have had a few problems non of which are because the mover is malfunctioning as such.

Firstly, and this may answer the OP's question. When fitting the mover the gap between the disengaged roller and wheel is CRITICAL to correct operation, I would get it checked. I can't remember what the measurement is now but I do remember that when I fitted the mover I initially 'ballparked' it and ended up with exactly the problem you describe.

I have also had the 'less than perfect' wiring to the battery causing the mover to stutter. I have now soldered all the connections.

My SE has worked flawlessly for over a year now.

:)

I would be honoured if you could spare a few pounds to sponsor me.

I am playing in a charity ice hockey match in July in aid of Help For Heroes

Please text STGO94 £2 to 70070 or visit justgiving. com/SteelerGoalie94

I have been using a TE mover since their introduction and cannot praise it too highly.

The only problem I have ever had has been the reluctance on a couple of occasions for

the mover to engage/disengage. By processs of elimination I discovered that this problem

emanated from the connection of the 7 pin plug into the drawbar socket. Stripping down these

components and spraying them liberally with electrical contact fluid together with opening the

relevent contact stems in the plug cured this problem. Hope this helps.

Volvo XC90/Swift Challenger

• 2 weeks later...
John,

Thanks. ......Paul

Thanks topazjazz

Due to this post I charged up my spare 110amp battery fitted it to the van and Bobs your uncle my Truma TE mover now works perfectly. This has saved me ££££s.

Thanks again

Sean

Bailey s5 Senator Carolina + Ford Ranger Double Cab + VFR800Fiw

• 4 years later...

Hi John.

I have had exactly the same problem with the movers turning but not engaging or releasing from the wheels. I will look into the suggestions and see if I can get to the bottom of the problem.

Edited by Leapo

I think you may find this is a 4 year old thread. .....

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2