Should I Leave The Battery On Charge All The Time ?

Wirral Tourer

Simple question - To maintain the battery in good condition when the van is stored at home, should I have the van connected to the mains in order to provide a constant charge to the battery via the Van's on board charger?

Cheers

If you're lucky enough to be in a position to do this, then yes.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Simple question - To maintain the battery in good condition when the van is stored at home, should I have the van connected to the mains in order to provide a constant charge to the battery via the Van's on board charger?

Cheers

Hi,

I isolate the 12v system when the 'van is parked at home while I do keep an eye on the voltage it has never dropped down to 11v which is when I would connect up the power and recharge. The last time we were away was about 2 months after our New Year outing, I had used the Powrmover twice and still the battery was fine.

I wouldn't have thought though that it would do any harm to be left on charge, I just don't see the necessity in our circumstances,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I agree with Ian, there is really no need to leave the power supply/charger switched on when not in use. In my experience it is best to charge the battery fully, then switch off and isolate it from the van's electrical system so as to reduce the 'back-drain' through the power supply/charger. I usually check the voltage with a multimeter every 3-4 weeks f not used, and stick on the intelligent charger if it drops below 12. 6 or thereabouts. Besides, leaving the power supply/charger on all the time runs the risk of the unit malfunctioning and boiling the battery to destruction - or worse (as has been reported on this forum). It also uses a small amount of electricity when on, even if the battery is up to the required 13. 8 volts. Best left off, I suggest.

GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

I use my caravan most of the year but when it is at home it is connected to the mains all the time.

Bill

Our van stands at the side of the house and it is connected to the mains all the time, in addition to the battery charger we keep a 2kw fan heater on its frost stat setting during the cold weather. The present battery was on our previous van for two years, I check the battery for distilled water every six weeks and so far to date it as not required any.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

I also have the mains connected all the time

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I also have our van connected to electric all the time with the charger on,last 5 years no problem so far,and battery levels seem fine. Dont see a problem if you are able to then do so!

David

Mini Clubman Cooper S

I have recently toasted a battery due to being permanentaly connected to the mains at home.

it is a case of read the manual . My "Smart Charger" looks at the battery voltage when powered on and then works out which voltage setting. BUT it only does this at power on. so I guess my battery was below the threshold, highest charge set in 2 weeks later cooked battery.

My advice if you want to do this make sure you know what your caravan charger is actually doing and react accordingly, If I would of turned the charger off after 24 hours and back on again so it is in maintenance mode i probably wouldnt of had to buy a new battery.

Guest madrat

We leave the mains connected permanently BUT the battery charger is on a 7 day timer. After returning home the battery is removed and charged on a proper battery charger that gives it a high voltage to start and gradely steps down. Then the battery is refitted to the van and the timer gives it 2 hours charge a week. This means when we go away the battery if fully charged and rearing to go ;)

I have recently toasted a battery due to being permanentaly connected to the mains at home.

it is a case of read the manual . My "Smart Charger" looks at the battery voltage when powered on and then works out which voltage setting. BUT it only does this at power on. so I guess my battery was below the threshold, highest charge set in 2 weeks later cooked battery.

My advice if you want to do this make sure you know what your caravan charger is actually doing and react accordingly, If I would of turned the charger off after 24 hours and back on again so it is in maintenance mode i probably wouldnt of had to buy a new battery.

A "smart" charger reads the voltage constantly and adjusts the charge rate to suit. When the battery is fully charged it will go to a maintenance charge.

Either your "smart" charger is faulty or it's not smart enough. What make and model is it?

Edited by beejay