What Avondale Model Have I Bought?

Ant38

hi guys, wondering if anyone can help me out here. i bought an Avondale a few weeks ago, but im unsure of what model it is. i did some looking around google etc, and found some Orestes that looked very similar to mine, so is that what ive got? the only thing mine says on it is Custom, on its rear.

I tried to find a model number on the caravan, and looked everywhere, on the windows, all underneath on the chassis, and above the door etc, but there was no identification number as listed on another thread here. i did find some numbers on the handle on the A-Frame. i found it hard to make much sense of them though. but some of the last few digits said 1992, so i assumed it must be an 1992 model, and possibly was made before the id number formats got standardised? but another 'worrying' number i saw said 1300kg, so surely its not 1300 kg in weight?

if anyone could give me some info on this caravan i would be most grateful. ive added some photos of it into my profile gallery album here, of the exterior, and the id numbers. im new to caravaning, and really looking forward to getting away in it soon for our 1st trip :)

thanks

ant

Edited by Ant38

Your van is an Avondale Perle Custom - lower spec were Perle Classic. If yours had been built after 1993 it would have a VIN etched on every window, but the date on the hitch would indicate 1992. As to which model - if yours is 16ft (body length) it's an Orestes; if it's 16ft. 4 it's an Adonis; 17. 8 it's an Argos; 18. 7 it's an Orion; 18. 11 an Olympus and 20ft a Ulysses. Decide on the name and I'll give you the various weights.

Edited by John Douglas

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

hi john, thanks for your reply. i measured my caravan when i bought it, and its external length, (not including the A frame) back to front was about 13' im sure. do your measurements include the A frame then? the caravan is parked at my parents, so i wont get a chance to measure it again for a few days, but i can measure it again including the A frame if that helps?

thanks again for your help,

ant

Your van is an Avondale Perle Custom - lower spec were Perle Classic. If yours had been built after 1993 it would have a VIN etched on every window, but the date on the hitch would indicate 1992. As to which model - if yours is 16ft (body length) it's an Orestes; if it's 16ft. 4 it's an Adonis; 17. 8 it's an Argos; 18. 7 it's an Orion; 18. 11 an Olympus and 20ft a Ulysses. Decide on the name and I'll give you the various weights.

" Mine gut in Hemel Hempstead ",

He says in a very loud voice.

John, have you got some sort of Caravan Encyclopedia ? :blink:

Or

Are you just very very clever ? :o

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Hi

If it's the van in your Avatar, then it is most certainly an Orestes. My Parents had one - smashing little 'van, very well built and had all the right kit at the right price.

Hope you enjoy your new 'van

Martin ;)

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

i measured my caravan when i bought it, and its external length, (not including the A frame) back to front was about 13' im sure. do your measurements include the A frame then? the caravan is parked at my parents, so i wont get a chance to measure it again for a few days, but i can measure it again including the A frame if that helps?

Sorry! The measurements I quoted were overall length, not body length. So if yours is 13ft - add 3ft for A-frame and, and as Martin says, it's a 16ft Orestes If so, it's unladened weight is 620Kgs and it's max fully loaded weight is 800Kgs

Avondale Orestes Custom 1992.

Unladen weight 621kg

Max Laden weight 800kg

Interior length 3. 78m (12' 5")

thanks for all the great replies guys. so seems i have a Orestes Custom. great to get other confimation on this. also im really glad about its weight, as im using a golf mk3 tdi to pull it, and that only weighs 1200kg. .

did i read on another thread that someone had access to owner manuals and brochures for Avondale caravans, some nice chap called Gorden is it? i would love to get some literature on this van. it took me good part of a day last week to figure out how everything worked, regards switches, mains, gas and leisure battery. think i got there eventually.

going away this weekend on our first trip. been waiting for this moment for ages. .

i have a few more questions about this van, but will start a new thread, as ones about a crack i found, and other is about a chemical smell i believe.

thanks again for all the replies :)

ant

did i read on another thread that someone had access to owner manuals and brochures for Avondale caravans, some nice chap called Gorden is it? i would love to get some literature on this van.
Hi Ant,

I've emailed you an extract from the 1992 Avondale sales brochure relating to the Perle models.

Regards,

"some nice chap called Gordon"

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Gordon, thanks very much for sending me out that Brochure. that was very useful indeed. and for clearing up exactly what model i have, which is infact a 'Avondale Perle Orestes Custom' to give it its full title. .

i was away last weekend for my first caravaning experienece. it was great fun. thanks for all the help guys,

ant

• 2 years later...

Hi Gordon

I know this is a bit brash being a newbie to this site and all dry.gif but I came across this site whilst looking for specs for our Avondale Custom Perle Olympus (91).

If you have still got the specs of the Avondales I would really appreciate getting my hands on the caravan specs as I am looking to created a laminate sheet with weights, tyre pressures nose weights etc so I don't have to remember it from year to year.

Thanks

Edited by OakblokeRR

If you have still got the specs of the Avondales I would really appreciate getting my hands on the caravan specs as I am looking to created a laminate sheet with weights, tyre pressures nose weights etc so I don't have to remember it from year to year.
1991 Perle Olympus Custom

ULW = 730 Kgs (5 berth)

ULW = 740 Kgs (6 berth)

MLW = 1000 Kgs

Internal length = 4. 46 Mtrs

Overall length = 5. 93 Mtrs

Overall width = 2. 14 Mtrs

Overall height = 2. 41 Mtrs

Headroom max = 1. 87 Mtrs

Tyres = 165R13-86R

Noseweight max = 100Kgs

1991 Olympus.jpg

Avondale did not give a tyre pressure in their sales brochure for 1991, but the approximate pressure can be calculated using the formula pinned at the top of the "caravan chat" section.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Pleased to help. ..

Gordon.

• 1 year later...

Hi sorry to bother you my dad has bought an avondale caravan all it says on the back is custom. I have been trying to find a rear back window measurements[it got broken] 620mmx950mm. Dad thinks the van was made around 1996 but cant find a vin or any other manufacturing marks it is a 5 birth and that is all i can tell you any chance you can identify from this scant info.

appreciate it

Tracy

Hi sorry to bother you my dad has bought an avondale caravan

No need to apologise for asking questions. That's what the forums for.

Now if your Dad's caravan is a 1996 model it will have CRiS registration marks etched on to every window. The scheme started in 1992, so if there are no markings on the windows, it's likely that you've been given a wrong build date. Also most Avondales have a name over the front window or some sort of decal on the side below the front side window.

As regards finding a replacement window. I should try one of the online caravan breakers. I'm away at the moment so I don't have access to my home computer where I have them listed, but someone may be along shortly that can mention some.

Edited by John Douglas

If yours had been built after 1993 it would have a VIN etched on every window, but the date on the hitch would indicate 1992

Thanks for that dad has had another look and all it says on the front and back is custom avondale he has also looked for a vin number and thinks it must be on the a-frame but that has a plastic cover on it and he said " it will be a ****** to take of" all the windows have numbers etched onto them and the last numbers are 2092 but not a vin as you mentioned above i have tried all the brokers i could find on line but am having a problem not knowing the model i will try the broker mentioned and i thank you for the replys i am in no hurry so enjoy the Christmas break and i will look for a reply in the new yr have a good one. Tracy

all the windows have numbers etched onto them and the last numbers are 2092 but not a vin
Hi Tracy,

My guess is that the number your Dad has found is the VIN. Take a look at the pinned topic at the top of the Caravan Chat section fro details of how to decode this long number. The tenth character of the VIN (T=1996) will confirm the year of manufacture.

The fact that your caravan has the word 'Custom', means that it is one of the better appointed models from the Avondale Perle range and originally the model name would have been shown each side of the caravan below the front side windows. Once you have established the year, it should be possible to confirm the model from the layout. Below are the layouts for 1996.

Gordon.

1996 Perle Layouts.jpg

From what you say, your VIN will be SGAS000AVP000???? - the last four digits being the only part unique to your caravan. No part of the VIN (unfortunately) defines the model, however I have replied to your PM so hopefully that will help.

Gordon.

I did reply to this but not here so will do again. I worked out from the numbers and letters my dads van is a 1993 even though where it should have been a number it was the letter p and next to that on the pinned topic was 1993 however i can not work out how you get the model from the 000 i have emailed you with the details and hope you can help cause i am gettin fed up of the whole thing all this is just to try and get the replacement rear window but he may have to super glu it lol as what windows i have seen are going for bldy silly money, you could buy a second hand van for what some are selling for and to have one made the price is stupiid. Rant over.