Litter

paulthomas

I've been wondering whether to post this for a while,but a short run out in our car today around some of the lanes near our house has determined me to make some sort of move. We went down what is normally a stunningly beautiful lane with snowdrops,daffodils and later in the season,bluebells. To our horror it had been used to flytip tyres and knotted supermarket bags of goodness-knows-what litter. I've become used to seeing some of our favourite spots being used to dump fast food wrappers but this really was the last straw. I despair of the sorts of barbarians who can do this. What sort of a mindset(does their IQ even register?) can they possibly have?

Anyway,I'm sure that I suffer from the Grumpy Old Man syndrome,but have decided to do something about it in my local area. I've half-heartedly subscribed to CPRE for some time now, but have now decided to participate in their "Stop the Drop" campaign. If you feel as strongly as I do then visit www. cpre. org. uk to see how you can participate(sadly,England only).

The Chair of CPRE,Bill Bryson, has described our roads and railways as "linear rubbish tips,"and I agree.

Why is it that we have so many people who consider it OK to despoil our country?

I don't normally go in for propaganda,but could I plead with those of you who really care,and have the time,to get involved in the CPRE's campaign. Cleaning up our landscape seems to be very low on politicians' radar. Maybe now is the time to badger them about it.

Apologies for the rant,but this is something about which I feel very strongly."Heartbroken" would describe how I felt about what we saw today. ....and I'm not normally a softie.

Go on. ..get involved. As caravanners,I assume we care.

Edited by paulthomas

I despair of the sorts of barbarians who can do this. What sort of a mindset(does their IQ even register?) can they possibly have?...

Why is it that we have so many people who consider it OK to despoil our country?

Hi Paul

Whilst I must stress that this annoys me too, the problem with litter is that it is human nature to drop it. It is something deeply bedded into the human psychy that says it is alright to drop what you no longer need.

I would have an interest in Archeology and they sometimes talk about mizzen mounds. These are prehistoric fly tips! Last one i watched was where an archeaologist found one of these after a neolithic had gorged humself on shell fish. So this has been happening since the dawn of humanity. It will continue to happen unless there is a sea change in the psychy of society in the UK. It is not impossible but needs thought and the only thoughts that government usually come up with is touse monetary penalties.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Hi Paul

Whilst I must stress that this annoys me too, the problem with litter is that it is human nature to drop it. It is something deeply bedded into the human psychy that says it is alright to drop what you no longer need.

I would have an interest in Archeology and they sometimes talk about mizzen mounds. These are prehistoric fly tips! Last one i watched was where an archeaologist found one of these after a neolithic had gorged humself on shell fish. So this has been happening since the dawn of humanity. It will continue to happen unless there is a sea change in the psychy of society in the UK. It is not impossible but needs thought and the only thoughts that government usually come up with is touse monetary penalties.

Regards

Lee

Thanks Lee,

Interestingly,I have an interest in archaeology too. Did a dig around a Roman kiln site a few years ago. I agree,it is part of human nature and always has been. But,I hope we have moved on from times when the population was low and people were preoccupied with just surviving. Also,when I visit Germany,Scandinavia and even France,the problem does not seem to exist to anything like the extent it does here.

Monetary penalties might work better if anybody could be ar. .d to implement them.

Cheers,

Paul

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you Lee. It is much worse now than when I was young. We used to have 'litter' adverts on the TV, along with 'Charlie Says!'. None of that now!

I have noticed the problem getting worse over the last decade or so, to a point that near me (A11 and A14 junction) it is full of McDonalds waste and tesco bags (although I do like a McDonalds;-). I am nearly on the verge of getting out of my car on the A14 and wanting to do something about it. However, you just know that a car full of chavs will come by and lob a load of KFC wrappers out of the window at you!!!

I feel embarrased to walk down my cul-de-sac and pick up rubbish that others have dropped, just because they probably think I am a do-gooder!!!

I think this is the problem we have. .... some youngsters aren't taught how to dispose of rubbish.

Tim (only 36)

Edited by tdmodels

To our horror it had been used to flytip tyres and knotted supermarket bags of goodness-knows-what litter. I've become used to seeing some of our favourite spots being used to dump fast food wrappers but this really was the last straw. I despair of the sorts of barbarians who can do this. What sort of a mindset(does their IQ even register?) can they possibly have?

Hi,

There is littering, and there is fly-tipping.

The former can extend to the Perps chucking fast food containers into your front garden, and shoving soft drink cans into your hedge. And if they feel really generous, they will regurgitated the contents of both onto the pavement outside your gate. But not pre-planned, so thats alright then.

The latter is much more malice afore-thought. The Perps will deliberately load junk into their car, and drive into the sticks to dump it. Circa 1962, an Act was passed requiring local councils to provide a place where THEIR residents could dispose of household waste. Convenient location, convenient times. My nearest tip is 10 miles away. Convenient? No, it serves a different county, I can't use it. Next nearest is 14 miles away (*), but small and very busy, difficult to manouvre a trailer. Next is 16 miles away, but serves another county. I have to drive past this tip for another 10 miles before I can find an easily accessible tip available to residents of my county. I usually chuck everything into my trailer, invite my neighbours to add anything they want to get rid of, and dump it all every couple of months.

(*) above. I wrote to my MP asking why I couldn't use the most convenient tip to me. Council replied that the tip which was small and very busy had been closed, and a purpose built tip had been opened in the industrial eastate. Still 14 miles away, and it would have been nice if they had told me WHICH industrial estate. No doubt I will find it.

The canal at Glynneath is surpringly free of supermarket trolleys.

Guest John KS

There was always going to be a problem once the local councils starting charging large amounts for commercial tipping on instruction from the government.

Whilst I certainly don't condone it, it was blatantly obvious what was going to happen. The fly tippers are having a ball dumping in the quiet lanes. They rarely get caught and if they do they only get fined or get community service orders. If they thought they might do ten years and have everything confiscated they might think twice about it!!!!!

There was always going to be a problem once the local councils starting charging large amounts for commercial tipping on instruction from the government.

Whilst I certainly don't condone it, it was blatantly obvious what was going to happen. The fly tippers are having a ball dumping in the quiet lanes. They rarely get caught and if they do they only get fined or get community service orders. If they thought they might do ten years and have everything confiscated they might think twice about it!!!!!

Hi John,

I totally agree with you. So what do we think is going to happen with bin pricing? What has happened since the advent of fortnightly collections? I suspect that there will be more dumping of household rubbish.

Regarding littering, I'm looking after my 20 month old Grandaughter, at the moment, and she doesn't even drop litter. Now if I can teach such a young child why can't everybody then surely they will carry on with the good habit for the rest of their lives?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi John,

I totally agree with you. So what do we think is going to happen with bin pricing? What has happened since the advent of fortnightly collections? I suspect that there will be more dumping of household rubbish.

Regarding littering, I'm looking after my 20 month old Grandaughter, at the moment, and she doesn't even drop litter. Now if I can teach such a young child why can't everybody then surely they will carry on with the good habit for the rest of their lives?

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

I agree that legislation is totally cockeyed and that flytipping is a result of poor policymaking. With litter specifically,there are very clear laws. The trouble is they are not enforced. Many Local Authorities have not enacted a single prosecution related to littering-probably because it's not seen as high on the political agenda-and having people to enact it costs.

You are a responsible citizen (unless you can prove otherwise!)and I hope I am too. Our grandson doesn't drop litter because he knows his Mum does not approve. Sadly,after 38 years working in education-and loving it-I know there are too many parents who don't share our values. On the whole,most schools,certainly Primary Schools,work very hard on litter prevention. But,they can't win a battle against the home culture.

All the best,

Paul

I've become used to seeing some of our favourite spots being used to dump fast food wrappers but this really was the last straw. I despair of the sorts of barbarians who can do this. What sort of a mindset(does their IQ even register?) can they possibly have?

It's not just here. A visit to a place as important as the Mount of Olives, Jeruselem will show that. It looks like a land fill site!!!!!!!!!!!

Barafundle Beach in Pembrokeshire is a beautiful location accessible only on foot with a half mile walk across fields. People go there to keep away from the crowds because of its inaccessibility and fine sands

The amount of litter left there at the end of a fine day would fill a rubbish cart.

Enjoy yourself, whatever you're doing

RAV4 Pegasus 534

Hi Ian,

I agree that legislation is totally cockeyed and that flytipping is a result of poor policymaking. With litter specifically,there are very clear laws. The trouble is they are not enforced. Many Local Authorities have not enacted a single prosecution related to littering-probably because it's not seen as high on the political agenda-and having people to enact it costs.

You are a responsible citizen (unless you can prove otherwise!)and I hope I am too. Our grandson doesn't drop litter because he knows his Mum does not approve. Sadly,after 38 years working in education-and loving it-I know there are too many parents who don't share our values. On the whole,most schools,certainly Primary Schools,work very hard on litter prevention. But,they can't win a battle against the home culture.

All the best,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I believe that more and more Councils are taking on this problem (stable doors and horses bolting comes to mind) with the advent of Council Wardens which is encouraging.

On a personal note I consider it a matter of pride that I do my best to keep the area clean by not dropping litter. I just can't drop litter it's an alien practise to me :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Pardon?Oh see what you mean!Rites of passage mean we're all probably a bit naughty when we're young-I wasn't a paragon of virtue. But,as we get older we learn to consider others. The older we get,the better we get.

I'm now perfect. :lol:

Edited by paulthomas

Thanks Lee,

Interestingly,I have an interest in archaeology too. Did a dig around a Roman kiln site a few years ago. I agree,it is part of human nature and always has been. But,I hope we have moved on from times when the population was low and people were preoccupied with just surviving. Also,when I visit Germany,Scandinavia and even France,the problem does not seem to exist to anything like the extent it does here.

Monetary penalties might work better if anybody could be ar. .d to implement them.

Cheers,

Paul

I agree it would be nice if we had moved away from littering. There does also seem to be better standards in other countries. I wonder what they do different? Is it cultural or is it differing policy decisions by their governments???

Dont know.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

No, its because they have an effective rubbish removal service.

Although i havent, im under no illusions that WHEN, not IF, the service deteriorates anymore in my area i WILL be forced to dump my household rubbish wherever i can.

My children have had to endure up to 4 weeks of fly and maggot infested bins outside my house.

Despite photos taken and a report filed, nothing was done. The binmen just "forgot" to come down our cul de sac.

Add to the fact that the rules on what is and isnt allowed in the bins was changed without informing anyone, so more bins were refused to be emptied because of a change in policy, and what you have is a complete "couldnt give a toss for you or your childrens health" attitude by the local council contractors.

So guess what, we can play that game too thanks.

So if you want something to fight for, how about decent rubbish removal in the first place.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

No, its because they have an effective rubbish removal service.

Although i havent, im under no illusions that WHEN, not IF, the service deteriorates anymore in my area i WILL be forced to dump my household rubbish wherever i can.

My children have had to endure up to 4 weeks of fly and maggot infested bins outside my house.

Despite photos taken and a report filed, nothing was done. The binmen just "forgot" to come down our cul de sac.

Add to the fact that the rules on what is and isnt allowed in the bins was changed without informing anyone, so more bins were refused to be emptied because of a change in policy, and what you have is a complete "couldnt give a toss for you or your childrens health" attitude by the local council contractors.

So guess what, we can play that game too thanks.

So if you want something to fight for, how about decent rubbish removal in the first place.

I know that the swiss have a system whereby they realise that people naturally drop their rubbish. Therefore in certain towns they have sort of covered trenches where people just drop their rubbish as they pass. This is picked up by a machine. Very effective apparently, though i ve never been so somebody might be telling me porkies!!

Therefore in certain towns they have sort of covered trenches where people just drop their rubbish as they pass. This is picked up by a machine. Very effective apparently, though i ve never been so somebody might be telling me porkies!!

Hi,

Thats because Swiss refuse collectors are there to service the public. In the UK, the public are here to provide jobs for the council. Same policy extends to other public services.

Now, who was holding my coat?

Seems to me there are two types of litter louts and therefore litter.

1. The individuals who just drop litter while walking along the street.

2. People who go out of their way to drop loads of rubbish.

The same people may well contribute to both types. However, no amount of rubbish collection schemes will ever stop the first type. I don’t really like labelling or generalising, but there does seem to be a class of person in Britain who has no respect or pride in themselves or the community. This lack of respect starts very early, even before school so must be down to parents.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Come on Lenny, lets be realistic, do you honestly believe they should be providing you with the service you already pay for through your Council Tax :angry: .

No, no, if you want that you will have to pay for a private contractor :o

Just after Christmas our bins were out for emptying, as the lorry came down our road I nipped out with the kitchen bin liner and as our bin was quite full I dropped it into our neighbours (Agreed prior with them on an ongoing basis).

The guy who was putting the bins on the lorry came charging across shouting "Oi you can't put you rubbish in their bin its not allowed".

When asked why, he tried in vein to explain that each bin was for the refuse of each house and that was all they were allowed to collect.

He said mine equated to a bin and a bag which was not allowed. I asked him how he would have know had I put the bag out before he came. No answer!

Suffice to say the bins were emptied.

GPS

Hi, came back on Sunday after being away in the caravan for the weekend to find a bag full of rubbish in my side garden. For the bag to have got there it must have been deliberately thrown over our 6 foot high hedge. I opened the bag to find someones unwanted clothing and kitchen rubbish. They had gone to enough trouble to hide any address details from their empty prescription packets. All I was able to get was a name. Prescribed from a chemist in a housing estate a mile from our house.

Why? I live beside a busy road but with large grassy banks between our house and the road. So the bag wasnt lobbed from a passing car. It was deliberately thrown into our garden by someone on foot. If I had been able to get an address from it, the bag would have been returned to its owner!

Paul.

Come on Lenny, lets be realistic, do you honestly believe they should be providing you with the service you already pay for through your Council Tax :angry: .

The guy who was putting the bins on the lorry came charging across shouting "Oi you can't put you rubbish in their bin its not allowed".

GPS

Rules! Doh!

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Hi,

If you drop litter in Middlesbrough Town Centre the person monitoring the CCTV cameras can shout at you through a microphone attatched to the camera! It's so entertaining as the person littering is shown up in front of everybody as they say something like,''Could the person in the blue jacket and jeans please pick up the wrapper as it's an offence to litter!'' of course everybody looks around for the person and start shaking their heads :D,

regards,

Ian.

Hi,

If you drop litter in Middlesbrough Town Centre the person monitoring the CCTV cameras can shout at you through a microphone attatched to the camera! It's so entertaining as the person littering is shown up in front of everybody as they say something like,''Could the person in the blue jacket and jeans please pick up the wrapper as it's an offence to litter!'' of course everybody looks around for the person and start shaking their heads :D,

regards,

Ian.

Now thats a better policy than fining them :lol:

Lee

Now thats a better policy than fining them :lol:

Lee

Hi lee,

It is very effective and if they don't pick up the litter the town centre wardens catch and fine them,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Hi lee,

It is very effective and if they don't pick up the litter the town centre wardens catch and fine them,

Regards,

Ian.

Seriously - it sounds as if the council are really thinking outside the box, trying to solve the problem, rather than generate more income from fines. Well done to them. Now only if speeding cameras were operated on the same premise. .....

Regards

Lee