Caravan Reverse Lights.

Bobinet

Hi all

I am completely new to caravanning and just got my caravan a few hours ago.

When I was being instructed and checked with my car, all indicator lights were working fine but not the reverse lights on the caravan. I bought a mondeo last week and had a witter tow bar fitted with al ko ball. I was told by the representative that it is not a legal requirement that the caravan reverse lights work. is that so?

Thank you

Bobby

It is legal and you dont need the reverse light on the van (though god knows why). If you want to get your car to power the:

1. Reversing light

2. Caravan fridge and

3. Charge your caravan battery whilst towing then you will need to fit the grey (12S i think) socket to your car.

some might do it themselves but i would get it done by a autoelectrician (especially on newer cars with the fancy electronics).

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Hi all

I am completely new to caravanning and just got my caravan a few hours ago.

When I was being instructed and checked with my car, all indicator lights were working fine but not the reverse lights on the caravan. I bought a mondeo last week and had a witter tow bar fitted with al ko ball. I was told by the representative that it is not a legal requirement that the caravan reverse lights work. is that so?

Thank you

Bobby

Hi Bob,

They were right it is not a legal requirement, but has the car been wired correctly or at all, and don't forget if you have the

the two 7 pin sockets the reverse is in the 12S

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

I have been informed that if lights are fitted to any road vehicle they must be in working order.

My caravan does not have reversing lights fitted so that is legal

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

I have been informed that if lights are fitted to any road vehicle they must be in working order.

My caravan does not have reversing lights fitted so that is legal

Not even reverse lights fitted to your car are MOTable, neither are front fogs, both are lights fitted to your car that aren't a legal requirement & so don't have to work, not even advisory :) .

MOT testers manual

Edited by Andy B

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

Hi,

I beleive reversing lights on the caravan is very useful.

It is the only way I can see what's behind the caravan while reversing in dark.

Also my wife outside, while helping me reversing make alot use of it especially when entered a site at night and placing the van among threes.

Cheers,

Dogan

Dogan Boncu

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 17 2009, 10:52 PM) 239619[/snapback]
Not even reverse lights fitted to your car are MOTable, neither are front fogs, both are lights fitted to your car that aren't a legal requirement & so don't have to work, not even advisory :) .

MOT testers manual

That confirms my belief that only obligatory lights are required to be working - optional lights aren't illegal if not working for any reason - why some police officers persist with this myth, I'm not sure - I guess they're only human after all.

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 17 2009, 10:52 PM) 239619[/snapback]Not even reverse lights fitted to your car are MOTable, neither are front fogs, both are lights fitted to your car that aren't a legal requirement & so don't have to work, not even advisory :) .

MOT testers manual

That confirms my belief that only obligatory lights are required to be working - optional lights aren't illegal if not working for any reason - why some police officers persist with this myth, I'm not sure - I guess they're only human after all.

There are exceptions (I am told by MOT man) for instance the high level brake light on my MGF is optional - so if not fitted it is not an MOT fail BUT if fitted it must work and if it doesn't then it is an MOT fail!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Hi,

I beleive reversing lights on the caravan is very useful.

It is the only way I can see what's behind the caravan while reversing in dark.

Also my wife outside, while helping me reversing make alot use of it especially when entered a site at night and placing the van among threes.

Cheers,

Dogan

Hi Dogan,

Thay also give an indication, to pedestrians and other vehicles, that the vehicle is about to start to reverse, if not already doing so,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 17 2009, 10:52 PM) 239619[/snapback]

MOT testers manual

There are some legal requirements for reverse lights, if fittted. Maximum of two with maximum 21 watt bulbs. If not automatically switched by engaging reverse gear then a warning lamp must be fitted. But the MoT doesn't apply.

Andy B,

They may not be a testable item, but the construction & use regs state that if a lamp is fitted to a vehicle (& a trailer/caravan for these purposes is classed as a vehicle) it must work!

Therefore, if they're fitted, they must work!

GeorgeB Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

When I said I was normal. .....maybe I exaggerated somewhat!

Skoda Superb MK3 190ps DSG 4X4 estate closely followed by a Swift Challenger 580 Alde

Andy B,

They may not be a testable item, but the construction & use regs state that if a lamp is fitted to a vehicle (& a trailer/caravan for these purposes is classed as a vehicle) it must work!

So if you only have a 12N socket on your car, you're be breaking the law or OK if the lamp does actually work but isn't operated by the car?

What about the 'spare' fog light at the back near side of some cars that's not wired up at the factory? Are they ilegal too?

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

a car by law has to have one fog light fitted to the rear and it is part of the MOT, but only if the car was made after 1980 i think it said, as for caravans they are not law but are advisable, and reverse lights are not really needed, just use your hazard lights and position yourself so the people behind can figure what you doing, (some are still thick mind and wont notice) get it all the time in the lorry, mike

a car by law has to have one fog light fitted to the rear and it is part of the MOT, but only if the car was made after 1980 i think it said, as for caravans they are not law but are advisable, and reverse lights are not really needed, just use your hazard lights and position yourself so the people behind can figure what you doing, (some are still thick mind and wont notice) get it all the time in the lorry, mike

Trailers built after the same date also have to have a fog light fitted - but there is a specific exemption whereby earlier cars with more recent trailers and recent cars with earlier trailers are not required to have an operational foglight on the trailer.

is there any certain sizes that dont need one, just wondering because my small trailer i brought last year does not have one fitted? mike

Possibly - trailers that are narrower than the car or project less than a small defined amount have to meet a different set of lighting regulations - although this might technically apply in the case of a Landcruiser Amazon towing an Eriba Puck, all caravans are built with lighting to permit unlimited projection beyond the towcar.

Andy B,

Only if they are required by the C & U Regs. You can fit fifty reverse lamps if you wish but only the two, legally mounted, lamps are allowed to be operable.