Wheel Clamps Covering The Wheel Nuts

Wirral Tourer

Needing to get a new wheel clamp. Although my current insurance provider does not specify this in relation to wheel clamps, I have a vague recollection that some others do.

I thought it worth checking before deciding which clamp to buy in case I change insurance provider in the future. Also, it does not seem to make much sense to have a clamp that doesn't cover the wheel nuts as a thief would simply remove the wheel and replace it.

Can anyone tell me if any insurance provider stipulates a minimum requirement of a clamp is to cover the wheel nuts.

Cheers

Locking wheel bolts are the answer. You can buy them in sets of two or four for a single or twin axle caravan.

I use them with a EM500SS Bulldog EuroClamp to satisfy the need for a wheel clamp to be fitted. This clamp is relatively light and easy to fit, so is convenient for use when touring. In storage I use a clamp which covers the wheel bolts.

John.

Read the insurance terms and conditions under definitions. mine states a wheel clamp is to cover at least 1 wheel nut. They also detail alko wheel locking devices and similiar.

locking wheel nuts are useless, takes no longer to get off than a normal nut. I had a "socket" for a locking wheel nut splitt, amazing how easy they are to get off without the socket.

Good locking wheel nuts will deter the 'casual quicky' thief - the determined thief wouldn't be put off by them NOR by a wheel clamp.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Read the insurance terms and conditions under definitions. mine states a wheel clamp is to cover at least 1 wheel nut. They also detail alko wheel locking devices and similiar.

locking wheel nuts are useless, takes no longer to get off than a normal nut. I had a "socket" for a locking wheel nut splitt, amazing how easy they are to get off without the socket.

Hi,

Likewise most insurers, that we've used stipulate that at least one wheel nut is covered by the wheelclamp,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Good locking wheel nuts will deter the 'casual quicky' thief - the determined thief wouldn't be put off by them NOR by a wheel clamp.

Difference is Im not a thief nor know the tricks of the trade, i easily removed insurance approved locking wheel nuts with basic tools in seconds. an Insurance approved wheel clamp, i wouldnt know where to start.

Difference is Im not a thief nor know the tricks of the trade, i easily removed insurance approved locking wheel nuts with basic tools in seconds. an Insurance approved wheel clamp, i wouldnt know where to start.

The Sold Secure rating scheme of Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum do give a clue on relative security.

Beware products simply claiming "Sold Secure" - Bronze may be better than nothing but not nearly as good as Gold/Platinum - better products state the standards achieved.

The Sold Secure rating scheme of Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum do give a clue on relative security.

Beware products simply claiming "Sold Secure" - Bronze may be better than nothing but not nearly as good as Gold/Platinum - better products state the standards achieved.

Hi RogerL

Do we really know how well Sold Secure caravan locks are actually tested?

Sold Secure bicycle locks aren't tested with bolt croppers or mini bottle jacks,

these are the two most popular methods of removal, rather makes a mockery

of the test standard methinks.

The oft trotted out defence is they only test locks using easily available and

easily concealed tools but a stubby bottle jack will go in a pocket and why

allow 24" crow bar but 24" bolt croppers.

neil

Can't link to original article but see here for the basics of it

http://www. bikeforall. net/news. php?articleshow=428

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

My wheel clamp doesnt cover my wheelnuts.

Simple reason for this.

An opportunist thief wont carry a spare wheel the same size as mine nor the tools to remove my hitchlock and driveway post and disable my alarm.

A *pro* will also not be stupid enough to carry a lot of these. What they DO carry is a small canister of easily obtainable liquid nitrogen, which is poured over the padlock or lock of said item, then 10 seconds later given a small tap and watches them shatter like glass.

Security devices are there only to make your van less attractive to steal than the one round the corner.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Can anyone tell me if any insurance provider stipulates a minimum requirement of a clamp is to cover the wheel nuts.

Cheers

Caravan Guard definitely do which is one reason we changed to the CC a couple of years ago. I find the Milenco type of clamp just too frustrating to fit.

Like Brassneck, I believe that if someone really wants your caravan they will have it, and all you can do is make them choose someone else's.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

I've just got the Diamond Wheel Clamp from ESL which is Sold Secure Gold Standard. My local caravan supplies store were selling them for £58.

I quite like it 'cos more compact than my previous one for travelling, covers one wheel nut, doesn't scratch the alloys and is not obstructed by the mover's rollers

Edited by Wirral Tourer