Tow Car Advice

dianes

Hi we are thinking about new tow car vauxhall signum 1. 9 diesel 150 bhp to pull our avondale sandmartin

anyone give us any advice all new to us

also what tow bar to have fitted

thanks diane

We had an Astra SRi 1. 9 150 CDTi Estate for a couple of years.

The engine was great for towing BUT we had terrible reliability problems. Wouldn't have a Vauxhall again which is a shame as it was basically a good car.

I know others have not had the issues we had . .. just make sure you have a warranty just in case!

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

We tow with a Zafira 1. 9 CDti 150 & it's great towing our Lunar with MTPLM of 1370kg. Had to have a new inlet manifold under warranty (would have cost over £1000) and recently had to have new Exhaust Gas Recycling valve (£250) which wasn't a warranty job. I think the latter is a fairly common problem with modern diesels.

My personal preference is for witter tow bars with a bolt on ball so that you can also fit a bumper protector plate. If you have a swan neck bar you can't fit one of these and also the electrics are often placed low under the car so that you have to kneel on the ground to connect up.

Good Luck

Ken

Lunar Quasar 525 & Vauxhall Zafira 1. 9d (150)

Our last car was a Vectra SRi 1. 9CDTi (150ps) hatchback, mechanically very similar to the Signum. We towed a Bailey Senator Vermont and our current van a Stirling Eccles Topaz, both two berths. It was a excellent tow car, and I enjoyed its solo performance. It was also a very reliable car, the only problems we had were with the steering wheel controls (radio and sat nav), which were replaced under warranty (Network Q) by our local dealer.

My towbar of choice was a Witter Quantum detachable, I like the clean lines when not towing, and no bruised knees when accessing the back of the car.

Alec

Alec

Car & Caravan