hi All,

I've just seen on the local news that the above, already very busy, road will have roadworks on it sometime during the Summer for up to 4 weeks. The agency rep said it's expected to have tailbakcs to Washington on the Northbound but said he couldn't say what the tailbacks would be on the Southbound so it may be as well to access the Highways agency website for any travel on that road with a view to taking an alternative route,

regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

And just for good measure, don`t forget the roadworks around the Tyne Tunnel if anyone was considering that as an alternative!

These are scheduled to continue until 2011/12 to allow for the new tunnel and the refurbishment of the existing one.

hi All,

I've just seen on the local news that the above, already very busy, road will have roadworks on it sometime during the Summer for up to 4 weeks. The agency rep said it's expected to have tailbakcs to Washington on the Northbound but said he couldn't say what the tailbacks would be on the Southbound so it may be as well to access the Highways agency website for any travel on that road with a view to taking an alternative route,

regards,

Ian.

you could go A19 to miss it

AUDI A5 SPORTBACK COACHMAN AMARA + NISSAN 350 Z

Just to add. ..The A1 is due for a revamp from 4 lanes to 6 starting at Rainton all the way up to Leeming services, they have started the prep stage and work will continue till 2011. .......Then stage II is to make the 6 lanes continue from Leeming up to Barton, due to be completed 2014. This stretch is my main are for the accident/breakdowns so i guesse i'll be busy. <_<

you could go A19 to miss it

That won't be any good as they're digging a new tunnel because of the tailbacks on the present one, which will get much worse because of people trying to avoid the roadworks on the western bypass. personaly I would avoid the area altogether and use an alternative further west,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Heard about it on the news, we're a kick in the bum from the A1 and use it a lot. I would have suggested anyone who's journey passes looking for alternatives but I am guessing others will think the same thing, with so much notice it might not be as bad as they are saying. I am sure if anyone needs alternative routes they can ask on here? I can probably help a little and my partner drives for his job so knows the roads quite well.

Is this a plot by the Scots to keep us Sassenachs south of the border? If so, we'll mount a sneak attack from the west!

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

Thanks Ian for the post, were going to melrose in the summer & use the A1,

were also going to Dunoon for spring bank without the caravan, so will take the opportunity to travel up that way on the A68

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Paul B,

If I was going to Dunoon from S Yorks, I would go Scotch Corner A 66 to Penrith and then M6, M74 rather than go anywhere near Newcastle or the A68.

The A68 is not the greatest of roads, is single carriageway and is infested with speed cameras!!

Paul B,

If I was going to Dunoon from S Yorks, I would go Scotch Corner A 66 to Penrith and then M6, M74 rather than go anywhere near Newcastle or the A68.

The A68 is not the greatest of roads, is single carriageway and is infested with speed cameras!!

I agree. The 66 is the only route for me to anywhere south of Newcastle. However. ..I've got the Newcastle ferry in May. How is the Carlisle - Hexham - A69 road for towing?

Edited by seeyoujimmy

Roger L,

If you coming from Staffs, you might want to consider going up to Carlisle on the M6 and then across to Hexham on the A69 then A6079 to the B6142. I did the reverse of this from a CL near Nunnykirk last Sep (Nunnykirk was closed due to flooding) when I was coming South and it was an easy tow on good roads and a very smooth journey. The A6079 and B6142 are much better roads than their numbers imply. It is not worth cutting across from Penrith via Alston to Hexham on the A686 unless you want to admire the scenery as it would be much slower.

The A68 south of the A69 down to Darlington is not the greatest of roads as it is very up and down and goes through lots of small villages. I went that way when going solo to Barrons at Darlington to pick up my van a couple of years ago and very much regretted it.

Seeyoujimmy,

I was typing at the same time and my reply above almost answers your question. The A69 is a very good road to tow on. A couple of climbs but a good surface and long sweeping bends and reasonable overtaking opportunities.

Roger L,

If you coming from Staffs, you might want to consider going up to Carlisle on the M6 and then across to Hexham on the A69 then A6079 to the B6142. I did the reverse of this from a CL near Nunnykirk last Sep (Nunnykirk was closed due to flooding) when I was coming South and it was an easy tow on good roads and a very smooth journey. The A6079 and B6142 are much better roads than their numbers imply. It is not worth cutting across from Penrith via Alston to Hexham on the A686 unless you want to admire the scenery as it would be much slower.

The A68 south of the A69 down to Darlington is not the greatest of roads as it is very up and down and goes through lots of small villages. I went that way when going solo to Barrons at Darlington to pick up my van a couple of years ago and very much regretted it.

Thanks for that - I wondered if the A68 was the "switchback" that I remember from the '70s. We're travelling from Ashbourne, not home, so I'll have a play with AutoRoute and the A6079/B6142.

The A686 via Alston is one of the top ten drives in the world - but only solo and then only with a car that handles well - some of the hairpins actually tighten up as you go round!

hi All,

regards,

Ian.

Must be in addition to this then Ian ?

I've looked for more details on the Highways website and can't find anything so it must be repairs then ?

Ah ha!

Just found this Planned works

Edited by sybil

"its not the space in your Caravan, it's the space your Caravan is in, that counts"

Paul B,

Thanks burstneraddict & seeyoujimmy,

we try to get through Gateshead/Newcastle before 8. 30 am when we have the caravan, but while we haven't got the the caravan on tow I thought I'd give the A68 a try as we intend on visiting friends at Newton Aycliffe on the way up, were also stopping in at Galashilds, then going the scenic way across to Grenoch harbor.

thanks for the tip about the speed cameras

we will be coming back the way you've suggested & having breakfast at the farm shop on the A66 :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thanks burstneraddict & seeyoujimmy,

we try to get through Gateshead/Newcastle before 8. 30 am when we have the caravan, but while we haven't got the the caravan on tow I thought I'd give the A68 a try as we intend on visiting friends at Newton Aycliffe on the way up, were also stopping in at Galashilds, then going the scenic way across to Grenoch harbor.

thanks for the tip about the speed cameras

we will be coming back the way you've suggested & having breakfast at the farm shop on the A66 :)

Better before 7. 30 am - 8. 00am is is the rush hour

Edited by kevinktwo

Must be in addition to this then Ian ?

I've looked for more details on the Highways website and can't find anything so it must be repairs then ?

Ah ha!

Just found this Planned works

Hi Stuart,

Not forgetting the roadworks at Wetherby :D,

Regards,

Ian.

RogerL,

Yes the A68 is the 'switchback' that you remember and I don't think that there have been any improvements that have removed the up and down motion.

RogerL,

Yes the A68 is the 'switchback' that you remember and I don't think that there have been any improvements that have removed the up and down motion.

Thanks - I've checked the Traffic England website, linked by someone else, and the delay is only projected at 10 minutes on the dates we're travelling so we'll stick with A1 / A696 - I will check the website nearer the date, though!

Thanks - I've checked the Traffic England website, linked by someone else, and the delay is only projected at 10 minutes on the dates we're travelling so we'll stick with A1 / A696 - I will check the website nearer the date, though!

Hi Roger,

I think that's optomistic when there's no roadworks as the Western Bypass is an extremely busy road. I believe that it should have been made a 4 lane road when it was constructed but our usual shortsightedness prevailed yet again,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Roger,

I think that's optomistic when there's no roadworks as the Western Bypass is an extremely busy road. I believe that it should have been made a 4 lane road when it was constructed but our usual shortsightedness prevailed yet again,

Regards,

Ian.

I guess that officially "delay" relates to additional time over normal delays.

I've never understood the Ministry of Transport thinking that by-passes around major conurbations can double up as trunk roads - it's double the traffic volume for one road.

Birmingham is just as bad, the M5, M6 and M42 form a motorway box but there's enough local commuter traffic to cause congestion on their own, without adding all the long-distance travellers.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to post in old topic but the roadworks on the A1 start tomorrow for 3 weeks 40mph speed limt with average speed cameras.

Northbound keeps to two narrow lanes but Southbound goes into contraflow on Northbound side and only one lane, this will cause huge delays at peak times from the metro centre.

They are doing repairs/upgrades to bridge.