Awning Problem...sprite Major 5

Hobbynut

Have decided to buy a Dorema awning for my 2008 Sprite Major 5. ..Swift give the awning rail measurement as 924. .I checked this and get it to the same. .I want a Dorema awning but 924 sits right on the divide line between size 11 ( 900-925 ) and size 12 (925- 950 )..I have made a few enquiries and have been told a size 11 would be best but Dorema themselves say that their measurement for the Sprite is 930 and I require a size 12. ..has anybody got any thoughts please.

Cheers

Hobbynut

Dorema have had a cancelled export order and are offering two models of awning on their website at a 40% discount

http://www. dorema. co. uk/opruiming_keuze. html

Edited by Hobbynut

It wasn't me. .The big lads did it and ran away

Sorry I've not got the answer, but I'm picking up my new Sprite Major 5 in April so I'm also keen to know the answer you get from hopefully some one who's bought the "right" awning.

I've looked at the website whats the important differences between the 2 models which makes one the better one to buy ?

Edited by Elm6

Hi,

personally I would go for the size 12

I have read on the forums a few times that it is best to get an awning that is undersize more than an oversize one, my Corsican 925 fits like a glove no problems. Mybe ask Swift?

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

The only real difference is that one has Acrylic sides and the other has Tencate Coated Polyester which is usually classed as " heavy duty " and easier to clean. .They are a bargain at that money and when I spoke to them today they told me that they had plenty available

Cheers

Hobbynut

Edited by Hobbynut

Hobbynut,

I would definitely opt for the shorter one.

Dorema are notorious for water pooling on the roof if the sides/front cannot be pulled as taut as possible which will not be achieved by the size 12.

I would agree with this. Our awning measurement is 1001cm and we have a 1000-1025 Dorema awning and it does pool when it rains

I'd always go for the smaller if on the cusp. You will not be able to get an awning thats too large tight.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Have decided to buy a Dorema awning for my 2008 Sprite Major 5. ..Swift give the awning rail measurement as 924. .I checked this and get it to the same. .I want a Dorema awning but 924 sits right on the divide line between size 11 ( 900-925 ) and size 12 (925- 950 )..I have made a few enquiries and have been told a size 11 would be best but Dorema themselves say that their measurement for the Sprite is 930 and I require a size 12. ..has anybody got any thoughts please.

Cheers

Hobbynut

Dorema have had a cancelled export order and are offering two models of awning on their website at a 40% discount

www. dorema. co. uk

We have a sprite major 5 2008 model for just over a year no real probs only the window which a lot of people seem to have had and nose wieght issuse's it seems to be about 60 to 65kg with just cushions in it which seems to be a bit high and i have to balence it by putting heavier stuff at the back, anyone else had anything like this. To the awning i don't have the answer today but i can check for you as we had a dorema montana awning, i think it was size 11 but will know more when i check the paperwork. I did not think much of the dorema awning just seemed to take a long time to put up and just did not feel right or look right when it was up. I have just sold it, i'd go for a bradcott if you have a bit extra to spend,i will check for the size.

Thanks for that. .I thought size 11 but needed to be sure. .I have quite a few friends with Dorema awnings and they like them. .But what you have said has set me thinking. .Am not a Bradcot fan to be honest but might have a look at them again

Cheers

Hobbynut

If you’re going for a full awning, I don't think one will be significantly easier to put up than another. I find the fibreglass poles with wing nuts much better than the Bradcot 'easy' hard alloy though.

Swift Challenger 490

If you’re going for a full awning, I don't think one will be significantly easier to put up than another. I find the fibreglass poles with wing nuts much better than the Bradcot 'easy' hard alloy though.

I agree. I found that, particularly in windy conditions, the Bracot poles slip. Mainly the roof ones. We now have an Isabella which uses the wing nut, and it always stays rock solid. Super bit of kit.

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

I agree. I found that, particularly in windy conditions, the Bracot poles slip. Mainly the roof ones. We now have an Isabella which uses the wing nut, and it always stays rock solid. Super bit of kit.

Absolutely

Swift Challenger 490

We have a sprite major 5 2008 model for just over a year no real probs only the window which a lot of people seem to have had and nose wieght issuse's it seems to be about 60 to 65kg with just cushions in it which seems to be a bit high and i have to balence it by putting heavier stuff at the back, anyone else had anything like this. To the awning i don't have the answer today but i can check for you as we had a dorema montana awning, i think it was size 11 but will know more when i check the paperwork. I did not think much of the dorema awning just seemed to take a long time to put up and just did not feel right or look right when it was up. I have just sold it, i'd go for a bradcott if you have a bit extra to spend,i will check for the size.

What problems are people having with the windows, Dave? And I agree the heavey nose weight is a problem that coupled with the low nose weight of our Peugoet 407sw means we have to put things towards the back of the caravan to compensate, all in all I am very happy with the Major.

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

What problems are people having with the windows, Dave? And I agree the heavey nose weight is a problem that coupled with the low nose weight of our Peugoet 407sw means we have to put things towards the back of the caravan to compensate, all in all I am very happy with the Major.

We tow with a vectra and nose weight is a problem i would assume its about the same as your peugoet the main factor being battery and water heater at the front. The window problem is that when towing the big outer pane of the window is bowing in and touching the inner one. It leaves like a water mark inbetween the two panels in a sort of half moon/cresent shape its quite hard to see sometimes but sometimes when the sun is out, it sticks out a mile. Reading on this forum it does not happen to all of the sprite vans but affects several vans over the range of swift vans. We have had several fitted but the latest one does seem to bow out a little more so hopefully the problem has been solved, we have not been out in the van since the new design window was installed so fingers crossed its ok. We are also happy with the sprite its a good van and has what we want inside and not too heavy so as to able to tow with the vectra.

Dave

Thanks for that. .I thought size 11 but needed to be sure. .I have quite a few friends with Dorema awnings and they like them. .But what you have said has set me thinking. .Am not a Bradcot fan to be honest but might have a look at them again

Cheers

Hobbynut

I did check with the person who knows these things(the wife) and she assures me it is the size 11 that we had. I did notice that that a few people had bought isabella awnings which are usualy very good but a bit more pricey than the dorema. I only sugested the bradcott as its sort of in the same sort of price range as the dorema and we had one with our last van and it was a good awning. Talking to the wife she has told me that her friend at work has a dorema and they like it and find it easy to put up so it could just be me or a one off on the one we had.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Finally bought the Dorema Montana Super Lux with the alloy poles. .Got Tall annexe, awning carpet and tie down kit as well. .it got it's first use on Easter Monday and to be honest it's one of the easiest awnings I have ever put up, can't believe I could do it quicker than a Walker. .....Size 11 is spot on, pity the ground wasn't as it sloped and was quite poor really but the awning looked OK all things considered. .Would like to try it on perfectly flat ground if there is such a thing. .Only complaint is the poor quality of the pegs, metal things with sharp edges and bend dead easy when going into hard ground. .Lucky I took a bag of proper pegs with me. .Put the originals near the dustbins just in case somebody else fancied slashing their hands. .An hour later they had gone

Cheers

Hobbynut

Edited by Hobbynut

we had a dorema size 8 with alloy poles & we used it in all weathers in cornwall, never had any problems.

just about to sell it now as we have now got a bigger caravan so i am on the lookout now for another bigger awning which i will probably choose dorema with an annexe

It might be worth you having a look at the Dorema website as the special prices direct from the factory are still on

http://www. dorema. co. uk/opruiming_keuze. html

Cheers

Hobbynut

Edited by Hobbynut