Stiffening Rear Suspension

b6x

Collected the caravan at the weekend and towed it home empty. Noticed that the rear of the car (a 55-reg Vectra) was considerably lower on the springs. Not unexpected obviously, however slightly concerning seeing as the caravan (and car) were pretty much empty.

This is probably something I'd need to run past the local dealer, but has anyone needed to stiffen the rear suspension of their cars? If so, anyone done it to a Vectra? has it made a good amount of difference and not compromised the "unloaded" driving comfort?

Cheers.

Edited by b6x

towcar #1: Vauxhall Vectra 1. 9 CDTi 150

towcar #2: Honda CR-V 2. 2 CDTi

caravan: Compass Corona 475

Collected the caravan at the weekend and towed it home empty. Noticed that the rear of the car (a 55-reg Vectra) was considerably lower on the springs. Not unexpected obviously, however slightly concerning seeing as the caravan (and car) were pretty much empty.

This is probably something I'd need to run past the local dealer, but has anyone needed to stiffen the rear suspension of their cars? If so, anyone done it to a Vectra? has it made a good amount of difference and not compromised the "unloaded" driving comfort?

Cheers.

hi,

Before you stiffen the car's suspension do you know the caravan's noseweight? Some 'vans have a quite heavy noseweight when empty and this could be your problem,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

The first port of call would be to check the caravan noseweight and adjust accordingly, front locker full of gas bottles/awning up front would upset the cars back end. You don't mention what van you have as it may be naturally too heavy for your car and ultimately badly matched as an outfit

There is a logic that no car should need suspension aids if it's in good condition and loaded within manufacturers limits - I can't argue against it but I fitted MAD auxilliary springs to my Vauxhall Astra as I alway tow with the car fully laden, rather than the caravan - towing was perfect, level and smooth - solo was comfortable but the unladen rear height was increased.

Cheers.

AS Roger says, Newish car with empty caravan, should not need any aids, so first check nose weight of the van,

and if yoy still feel you need extra support then I can also recomend the Max system

I used to have it on a Pug 405 estate and with the kids and no van on the back the suspention was soft, I fitted

these max's and hay what a diffrence solo felt like a sports car for handling and did not know the van was on the back

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

There is a logic that no car should need suspension aids if it's in good condition and loaded within manufacturers limits - I can't argue against it but I fitted MAD auxilliary springs to my Vauxhall Astra as I alway tow with the car fully laden, rather than the caravan - towing was perfect, level and smooth - solo was comfortable but the unladen rear height was increased.

Roger once again I agree

The pundits say that no spring assisters shoul be needed but cars are designed for average use which doesn't seem to include towing

I too have fitted M A D spring assisters to several vehicles since I parted with the last Citroen BX and the wonderful self levelling suspension

Every time I have been very happy with the result

UKCS/articles/view. asp?id=165

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

on the older Volvo's you could buy automatic levelling for the shockers they were Volvo parts but they were made for other cars as well - I cant think of the name at the moment -- double barrelled name -maker of shock absorbers. .

any one remember??

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

on the older Volvo's you could buy automatic levelling for the shockers they were Volvo parts but they were made for other cars as well - I cant think of the name at the moment -- double barrelled name -maker of shock absorbers. .

any one remember??

Maurice

Monroe Load Levellers - also known as air-adjustable dampers - were fitted to Vauxhall (Opel) and Volvo. In both cases there was a simple/cheap system which was pumped up with a garage air-line - but there was also available an automatic system with on-board compressor and load sensors. It's the same concept now used in Discovery 3, Landcruiser and Audi Allroad - in all three cases a cause of problems!

Boge self-energising hydraulic levellers were fitted to Rover SD1 and Range Rover - these are generally trouble-free but they do wear out and aren't cheap to replace - my Subaru has a similar Japanese-built system of self-levelling!

. .... in all three cases a cause of problems! . ....

No problems with mine, or my Carlton years ago (self levelling - not garage air line) apart from the prat who owned the car before me that took the self levellers off! :blink::D

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite