New Battery Or Buy A Battery Charger ?

Wirral Tourer

A smart charger with an de-sulphate cycle, like the CTEK XS3600 £50, may rejuvenate your battery but at 6 years old, your battery owes you nothing.

Why not buy a new 85Ah battery and a Aldi/Lidl smart charger (£13 does the same job as the CTEK but without de-sulphating) and keep it connected all the time - an 85Ah battery charged with a smart charger will have 85Ah capacity - a 110Ah battery charged via the on-board power supply wil have a capacity of 80%, thats 88Ah.

A smart charger with an de-sulphate cycle, like the CTEK XS3600 £50, may rejuvenate your battery but at 6 years old, your battery owes you nothing.

Why not buy a new 85Ah battery and a Aldi/Lidl smart charger (£13 does the same job as the CTEK but without de-sulphating) and keep it connected all the time - an 85Ah battery charged with a smart charger will have 85Ah capacity - a 110Ah battery charged via the on-board power supply wil have a capacity of 80%, thats 88Ah.

A bit off topic, Roger - but I've recently had the chance to see how good the CTEK XS 3600 charger really is. The answer - it's brilliant.

Mine has been hooked up to my old Porsche 911 since October 2006 - completely unattended (car is on SORN). Due to a variety of other things going on I've not even taken the dust cover off the car in the last two and a half years. I've just gone out to the garage and the car started perfectly. Three or four seconds churning over (as I would expect) and it sprang into life. Certainly the battery was fine. Mind you, the exhaust smoke was another thing for about 2 minutes :)

The older I get, the better I used to be

A bit off topic, Roger - but I've recently had the chance to see how good the CTEK XS 3600 charger really is. The answer - it's brilliant.

Mine has been hooked up to my old Porsche 911 since October 2006 - completely unattended (car is on SORN). Due to a variety of other things going on I've not even taken the dust cover off the car in the last two and a half years. I've just gone out to the garage and the car started perfectly. Three or four seconds churning over (as I would expect) and it sprang into life. Certainly the battery was fine. Mind you, the exhaust smoke was another thing for about 2 minutes :)

If the battery is in good condition to start with, and the CTEK used continuously, it will keep it that way almost indefinitely.

You can't use car batteries for caravans, they say - but by using a CTEK continuously, I use a 12 year-old 66Ah SLA car battery in the caravan and it copes with everything, including the motor mover, PowerTouch model 3 heavy-duty.

The Aldi charger is made by Kompernass and the Lidl version by Medion. Both provide pulse charging if the battery voltage is betweeen 7 - 10 volts when the charger is switched on and this will help to de-sulphate the plates.

The Aldi charger is made by Kompernass and the Lidl version by Medion. Both provide pulse charging if the battery voltage is betweeen 7 - 10 volts when the charger is switched on and this will help to de-sulphate the plates.

Interesting - my Auto-XS was bought in December 2007 from Aldi, but made by Medion! The manual (such as it is) makes no reference to de-sulphation but does note the automatic "regeneration mode".

Interesting - my Auto-XS was bought in December 2007 from Aldi, but made by Medion! The manual (such as it is) makes no reference to de-sulphation but does note the automatic "regeneration mode".

my Aldi charger is also made by Medion :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have a 6 year old 85amp battery and just had a mover fitted. The fitter said the mover was labouring a bit and we put it down to the battery.

Should I buy a new 110 amp battery or would buying a battery charger re-invigorate my current battery ?

I fitted one too and you need at least 110 amp battery to drive the motors.

Do measure your battery compartment and ensure you buy a battery that is not too big!!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I fitted one too and you need at least 110 amp battery to drive the motors.

Few, if any, battery lockers have space for larger than 110Ah battery - and some 110Ah will be too big in one of their dimensions.

Many of us use Motor Movers, including heavy-duty ones, with less than 110Ah - in my case 72 or 85, depending what's not being used elsewhere.

Hi,

After 6 years your battery may be coming to the end of its usefull life, depending on use of course. An 85a version is OK to drive a motor mover but if you rally a lot or don't use hook ups then the 110a would be better. I don't know for a fact but apparently the external dimensions of all batteries are not the same so you will need to measure the different types,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.