Awning Heater

julesmart

Hi Guys

We off vaning for Easter I expect it will be a bit chilly lol so what do you folks heat the awning with?

Swift Challenger 560 (2007) with Reich Motor Mover & Ford Mondeo 2. 2 Titanium X TDCI (08 ) with Sports pack

A lovely Husband & 3 lively Yorkshire Terriers!!

Hi,

Years ago, when we had an awning, we used a 2000w capacity fan heater but you need to be sure that you've got the capacity on hook up to run it on whatever setting that you feel comfortable with,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

That's a fair sized awning for the Charisma (975?) . .. about the same size as ours.

We use a fan heater. 2000W - about 8 amps - initially, when it's available on site, and then turn it down to 1000W.

We use it at 1000W in France (where the site only allows 6 amps) and make sure we are vigilant about not turning on other appliances. It's certainly been OK for those chilly September mornings and evenings in the Loire, when it's been about 7 degC outside - but it won't get the awning toasty in these conditions.

Using it in GB with 16 amps available I'd expect it to be fine.

The older I get, the better I used to be

we have a cermaic halogen style heater, which has 3 x 400W bars each can be turned on individually, it works ok and swivels but you physically need to be facing the heater, it doesnt heat the space like a fan heater it is a directional source of heat which is a bit more energy effecient for the task but it can be frustrating to use, if you move away from the direction of the heater you get hit by a cold front.

works well for the power requirement it has.

Edited by pbeecroft

A fan heater (2kw if poss) and/or a Calor gas fire heats our awning enough to keep a group of friends warm on a chilly Spring evening. The blown air output from the van itself is not too clever though.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

How environmentally unfriendly can you get? Heating an awning, whether gas or electric, just generates loads of CO2. 2000w is enough to heat and light a whole detached house in spring and autumn - an awning has no insulation at all.

What's wrong with putting a jumper on or sitting in the caravan - that would take much less heat because of it's insulation.

Three bar halogen heater in our awning, i only have one bar on just to take the chill off me as i read a book, but it is direct heat not like hot air being blown out.

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Hi Guys

We off vaning for Easter I expect it will be a bit chilly lol so what do you folks heat the awning with?

Nothing, just put on a fleeece or go inside.

Steve W

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

Guest Rimmer

I'm with julesmart with heating an awning. If it was as easy as going into the caravn, I would be considered a miserable old f*rt by my guests sitting, freezing in the awning.

We use an electric patio heater set at shoulder height so as not to burn the awning roof.

A good curry and a bottle of grouse and you wont feel the cold. :D:P

CHEERS DAZKIM

How environmentally unfriendly can you get? Heating an awning, whether gas or electric, just generates loads of CO2. 2000w is enough to heat and light a whole detached house in spring and autumn - an awning has no insulation at all.

What's wrong with putting a jumper on or sitting in the caravan - that would take much less heat because of it's insulation.

So as environmentally unfriendly as your Suberu I would expect. I will have 2 jumpers on probably, I only wanted one to take the chill off. Sorry I asked

Swift Challenger 560 (2007) with Reich Motor Mover & Ford Mondeo 2. 2 Titanium X TDCI (08 ) with Sports pack

So as environmentally unfriendly as your Suberu I would expect. I will have 2 jumpers on probably, I only wanted one to take the chill off. Sorry I asked

What roger's Subaru environmentally unfriendly? Never I've heard that it runs on rosewater and nectar :lol: !

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

22 mpg towing so no more environmentally un-friendly than many 4x4s - it's not a turbo Impreza!!

My father in law got hold of a 3000W blow heater. I use it and it is fantastic. There are two elements in it 2000W and 1000W so that you can adjust it according to the site's current rating.

Sorry Roger - I like it warm and i like my awning. :):ph34r:

regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

I'm with DazKim!

You wouldn't strap a 2kW heater to the side of your house, so either sit inside, or throw a few more chillies in the curry!!!!!!

Tim

I'm not 'green police' nor a tree-hugger, but I have never felt the need to heat my awning. I would regard this in the same light as a patio heater - just a waste of energy. If it's too cold for a fleece and a single malt then it doesn't happen. And no, I don't subscribe to the view that global warming is man-made - but energy as we know it is likely to run short in the lifetime of my children. ....

GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

You cant get 10 people inside my van so again I use the fan heater and have the largest Camping Caz light, that throws loads of heat out.

My friends bring theirs and we are as warm as toast.

Ignore the Eco gang and have a good week end.

2018 Kia Sorento.            Elddis Capiro 554.

A good curry and a bottle of grouse and you wont feel the cold. :D:P

CHEERS DAZKIM

I think I'd prefer to sit in your awning :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I think I'd prefer to sit in your awning :)

And you and yours would be welcome.

CHEERS DAZKIM

Thanks everyone. Ideas taken on board.

:P:P I love a cosy awning and a bottle of wine. ... lifes too short for anything else. ... enjoy

Warm awning, bottle of red wine, bag of nuts / fruit mixed, a book so good you can't put it down and in the end a little doze . ............................... excellent. :D

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.