Fridge Not Working Correctly

alanperry52

My fridge is not working on 240v i tried it on gas and it is fine can anyone advise on what to look for in order for it to work properly.

Assuming you actually have a supply at the fridge, fuse, damaged cable etc it could be the 240 v heater that's failed.

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

There could be an inline fuse in the feed to the fridge possibly located behind the PSU/charger

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Is it plugged in?? switched on ? or fuse gone?

Mine has a 13 A socket under the cooker which feeds the fridge and we had a fuse go in the plug top of the lead. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

You can get proximity 230V tester quite cheaply that you just hold alongside the cable to check thta power is getting through

Very useful on continental rallies

http://www. maplin. co. uk/Module. aspx?ModuleNo=45560

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Mine had the same problem. I knew I had a supply to the fridge as the 240v switch was illuminated but the fridge did not cool. Turned out it was the element and it took me around 2 hours to replace with the fridge removal being the most difficult part.

HTH

Range Rover TDV8 Autobiography and 1993 Carlight Commander 184EK MKII

Mine had the same problem. I knew I had a supply to the fridge as the 240v switch was illuminated but the fridge did not cool. Turned out it was the element and it took me around 2 hours to replace with the fridge removal being the most difficult part.

HTH

Hi it looks like i have the same problem you had. How do you tell what element is what the 12v or 240v. You say you removed the fridge did you have to or was this the easy way,my caravan is an Elddis Avante 534 2004 model.

Hi it looks like i have the same problem you had. How do you tell what element is what the 12v or 240v. You say you removed the fridge did you have to or was this the easy way,my caravan is an Elddis Avante 534 2004 model.

If the 2 elements are similar (never looked specifically at mine) I'd have thought that they'd be marked up with voltage & power this is one I found on eBay as an example.

Assuming you have mains somewhere near your 'van where you're going to be working on it, you can always use a multi-meter on the connections before you start dismantling anything, assume it's 240 AC or you'll kill the meter. Unplug the van before you start work. ;)

My fridge is held in place by 4 screws, 2 on each side as you open the door. I removed a grille at the back so I could get to the gas connection, and then the whole lot pulls forward . ..... as far as the cables will allow! ;)

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

2 quick checks with a multimeter assuming the mains supply is ok. Pull the plug out and do a resistance check across the live and neutral pins. I would guess it should show around 400 ohms.

A current check by pulling out the fuse of the plug, putting your meter on current range ac range and clipping the test leads on the fuse terminals. Plug in and switch on. I won't teach you to suck eggs but I know others will condemn me for not saying but be careful and don't do this if you're not sure about electrics. It's second nature to me. Anyway, you should get a reading of around 600 milliamps. I'm guessing that the fridge is about 160 watts so it could be more or less. If you do the resistance check first and you don't get a reading near this then you may have a faulty element, although it could be the thermostat. If you do get a high resistance reading, try to find where the wires connect on to the element and then do a resistance check here. A high reading will confirm it's the element.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 months later...
Well, it would be nice to have had some feedback!

Hi, I have the same problem (240v switch light comes on but no cooling but gas cools like the Arctic) so I shall take your advice this weekend and see what I find. Excellent instructions by the way!!!

Regards

David

Hi Folks

Same problem. Ordered replacement in Leasureshop direct or something like that for around £30 odd. Was able to replace element through the two air vents outside a little awkward but it saved taking out the fridge. In my case the sleeving stated the correct voltage ie 230v 125w. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Iain