Loading The Caravan

The Wanderer

What is the best way to stop your heaviest items moving around during transit in the van; having placed them above the axle

Is there anything to stop the awning etc movng around

Jaguar XF 3. 0 D tugging an Swift Challenger Sport 584

On our van (abbey 416) there is a gap between the side seats, with a "bar" to attach the side table. With the table stowed for travel this gap is almost directly over the axle, so heavy items go there. . and I use elastic "bungees" with hooks on to secure the items to the table bar.

I also stow the chairs flat over the seats here and "bungee" them to the bar. The "bungees" don't need to be tight . . just firm enough to stop movement of whatever is stowed.

The awning bags are laid on the floor at that point and longer "bungees" used to secure to the table bar in the centre, and up to the seat slats at the ends.

This method works for me . . used for anything from an empty cool-box to a 2 Kw generator :)

HTH

Edited by Entwood

Dealers used to sell cargo bars, which basically locked in place and kept your load where you wanted it to be . .. haven't sen them in any of our local dealers for a while though.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

It's best not to put things on the floor in the first place - put as much in the car as you can.

An awning wouldn't move much unless you braked hard.

I used to carry the awning in the caravan in our first caravan and I am convinced that having it bouncing as we travelled was the main cause of the floor delaminating.

Bessacarr 645 towed by a BMW X5 Sport (Diesel 23mpg towing 35mpg solo) - I also have a Diesel Toyota Yaris Automatic in an attempt to be a bit green - it's doing over 70mpg on a good run. Shame it won't tow the caravan!!

Happy Caravanning! (& Happy Rallying too!)

On our van (abbey 416) there is a gap between the side seats, with a "bar" to attach the side table. With the table stowed for travel this gap is almost directly over the axle, so heavy items go there. . and I use elastic "bungees" with hooks on to secure the items to the table bar.

I also stow the chairs flat over the seats here and "bungee" them to the bar. The "bungees" don't need to be tight . . just firm enough to stop movement of whatever is stowed.

The awning bags are laid on the floor at that point and longer "bungees" used to secure to the table bar in the centre, and up to the seat slats at the ends.

This method works for me . . used for anything from an empty cool-box to a 2 Kw generator :)

HTH

It sounds to me as though you are putting a lot of weight on one wheel - possibly even oveloading it - I wouldn't even consider putting my 2kw generator in the caravan - I repeat my warning about the possible damage to the floor as well.

Bessacarr 645 towed by a BMW X5 Sport (Diesel 23mpg towing 35mpg solo) - I also have a Diesel Toyota Yaris Automatic in an attempt to be a bit green - it's doing over 70mpg on a good run. Shame it won't tow the caravan!!

It sounds to me as though you are putting a lot of weight on one wheel - possibly even oveloading it - I wouldn't even consider putting my 2kw generator in the caravan - I repeat my warning about the possible damage to the floor as well.

Well the genny weighs a great deal less than 2 adults . .. and it sits between 2 seats designed to take said adults . ...so I fail to see any "overload" . ... and I just KNOW you're going to say the adults don't sit there while its moving . .. but the wheel/suspension is designed to take ALL the weight in a 'van at any time . . the steadies are just that . .. steadies . . not weight bearers.

Well the genny weighs a great deal less than 2 adults . .. and it sits between 2 seats designed to take said adults . ...so I fail to see any "overload" . ... and I just KNOW you're going to say the adults don't sit there while its moving . .. but the wheel/suspension is designed to take ALL the weight in a 'van at any time . . the steadies are just that . .. steadies . . not weight bearers.

The stresses and strains on a stationary caravan are nothing like the stresses and strains of it when moving. By overloading I am talking about exceeding the maximum allowable weight of the vehicle when travelling.

We often have six or even eight people in our caravan but I wouldn't put that weight in it to travel.

What is the best way to stop your heaviest items moving around during transit in the van; having placed them above the axle

Wedge 'em with other stuff?

We carry the awning canvas in the car, just behind the back seat. Poles go in the caravan, wedged by whatever else is there, and with soft stuff at the sides to protect the furniture & fittings.

I use a non-slip mat that was sold as a yoga mat, about 6' x 3' and that keeps the awning in place. About £4 from Tesco if memory serves me right!

Have Bailey - Will Travel