Anyone Tow With Vw Tiguan?

darrell

Just ordered new 2. 0 diesel Tiguan and wondered if anyone out there has any experience of their towing ability?

Have sold my second Sorento which was superb but wanted to downsize and liked the Tiguan.

BUT Need detachable towbar because of Park Assist and Parking sensors and also becauseof this new type of CANBUS wiring it'squite expensive.

Managed to find reputable towbar fitter to do install at the retailer before I collect it, and cost is almost half that of the VW fitted bar.

Look forward to any replies and once I collect will update and if the fitter is good place his name and nmber on this forum

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

Hello Darrell

I've been wondering about doing the same as you - did you sell your Sorento privately and did you have much trouble?

I think you have made a good choice in the replacement vehicle. I would imagine it tows really well as vehicles sharing that platform have previously had good reports (Touran etc).

I haven't seen any Tiguans towing yet - keep us informed about how it goes/tows.

X-Bob

In answer to your question about the Sorento. I put it on Preloved (first time ever tried this website ) for free at £8500 ovno, it was 55 reg sep 2005 XS diesel with only 18000miles one owner (me), black, side bars, bonnet and headlight protectors, full twin witter tow bar etc and all the normal XS features like leather, sunroof, climate, cruise etc. Bt it was thristy on fuel and time for a change.

I also went away to Castleton for a few days and put an advert in the window at £7995, and had lots of people tell me it was too cheap, but no takers.

In the end the supplying garage Buxton Car Centre offered me £8500 for it and so they now have the car. I have even applied for the remaining road tax bak and that should be another £100.

There are an awul lot of Sorentos about, you have to be able to really say it's mint and then it will sell, especially to caravnners who knowa good towcar when they see one.

I only hope the Tiguan is half as good.

What engine has your Tiguan got? The 140 or the 170???

I am really impressed with the 170 CR unit in my Skoda . .. a great improvement in economy and refinement over our old (much loved) 170 PD Skoda.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

Hi there

The Tiguan has the 140 engine but apparently it's the new common rail.

I have also spoke to one of the wardens at the Caravan Club site in Castleton who has this engine and he says it tows like a train. lets hope the new tow bar works out to be OK. Will keep all informed.

Still no replies from any other Tiguan tow car owners yet?

I would be interested to hear how you get on with your Tiguan.

It is on the shortlist when I replace my Sorento in 2010 - love the Sorento to bits, but I just don't need such a large tow vehicle anymore.

What are you going to be towing with your Tiguan, out of interest?

Martin

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Hi there

The Tiguan has the 140 engine but apparently it's the new common rail.

I have also spoke to one of the wardens at the Caravan Club site in Castleton who has this engine and he says it tows like a train. lets hope the new tow bar works out to be OK. Will keep all informed.

Still no replies from any other Tiguan tow car owners yet?

The refinement of the common rail unit over the old PD is astonishing!

We will be towing with the new car for the first time this weekend, can't wait to see how it goes.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

I would be interested to hear how you get on with your Tiguan.

It is on the shortlist when I replace my Sorento in 2010 - love the Sorento to bits, but I just don't need such a large tow vehicle anymore.

What are you going to be towing with your Tiguan, out of interest?

Martin

I told you bruv . .. get a nice Skoda Yeti which should be out soon!

Martin 63. I will be towing a series 7 Pageant Bungundy max gross weight 1445kg.

I used to tow this and my previous caravan a Coachman Pastiche with the Sorento

The bottom line with the Sorento having now owned 2 from new is their fuel consumption and eye watering depreciation. You cannot argue with their ability to tow virtually anything and I was very sad to see my XS in black with full side bars and fully loaded go. BUT I don't need anything so huge now.

Why is it that only fellow caravnners really appreciate how good the Sorento is?

I expect the Tiguan to be fully on top of the job with the Pageant since the engine has slightly more power than my old Sorento at 140 bhp or kg or whatever power it is they quote nowadays.

I will be towing a series 7 Pageant Bungundy max gross weight 1445kg.

I used to tow this and my previous caravan a Coachman Pastiche with the Sorento

. ...................................

Blimey - I know the Sorento is one of the best tow cars around, but that really is going some! ;):blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darrell

I have the tiguan 140 escape and towed an abbey 517 gts (1500kg) with no problems last year, i have just picked up me new Bailey Pagent carolina (1700kg) i had no problems towing it to the compound (8 miles of country roads) in fact hardly new it was on tow so far so good i will be taking it away next week and and let you know how it gets on after a proper run with the extra weight hope this is of some help

:P

Hi neil and lena

No you have not missread at all it is indeed 1590kg,

it comes in around 102% nowhere near the recomended 85% weight ratio, and i am in no way recomending it, only sharing my experience, the tiguan does have a towing capacity of 2500kg it is well within its capability

Hi neil and lena

it comes in around 102% nowhere near the recomended 85% weight ratio, and i am in no way recomending it, only sharing my experience, the tiguan does have a towing capacity of 2500kg it is well within its capability

Hi billy30s

The towing capacity is the ability to restart on an incline or the ability to tow an agricultural trailer (20mph)

and doesn't really relate to real world motorway use with fast traffic and side winds with the possibility of

'the tail wagging the dog' - this is how the 85% suggestion becomes a good idea.

More recent licence holders have other restrictions of course.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Hi neil and lena

Actually 107 % and as you say within the tow limits but a very poor match, should you have a loss of control the chances of recovery will be slim to say the least .

With the van weighing considerably more than the VW could be a recipe for disaster

Actually 107 % and as you say within the tow limits but a very poor match, should you have a loss of control the chances of recovery will be slim to say the least .

With the van weighing considerably more than the VW could be a recipe for disaster

Neil I fully accept what you say but if the car is running heavy and the van at 100kg under max this may not be too bad a match.

Gents

i agree with everything that you both have said and as i have allready said i am not recomending towing with that amout of weight ratio i myself am taking the bailey out next week to make sure that it meets my needs and if it does i will be upgrading the tow car to a vw touareg that will bring me down to around 78%, but as for the tiguan if you stay within the recomended limits it is a great tow car with plenty of power and more than capable

So far only done 330 miles and not supposed to tow until 600 miles covered, but from the power available think it will tow my Series 7 Burgundy like a steam train. We're going away just after Easter so looking forward to the first tow

Can't get my head around the parking brake system though after over 40 years of normal handbrake. If anyone else with a Tiguan reads this here's my further question:

Do you use the parking brake all the time or just stay with Auto Park all the time?

I've had a 140 Tiguan SE since last May, towing an Avondale Mayfair (Dart) 470/2, (1140 kgs) It goes like a train, and is rock steady (Alko shocks fitted to the 'van as well)

It's just starting to loosen up after 7000 miles, and the economy is improving, 42-46 solo, and 27-32 towing, depending on my right foot!

Boot space is small - the same as a MK 5 Golf, and it's lower geared than a Golf, at 30mph per 1000 rpm, so 55-60 mph is at maximum torque, and it accelerates in sixth towing with no problem.

Minus point is it needed a new dual mass flywheel and clutch at 5000 miles.

Hi Darrell

i dont think that there is an answer to that i dont use the autohold just the handbrake when required (maybe just out of habit as you say) but my wife uses the autohold and sweares by it, it is just personal preference

Hi Vernon

Good to hear your Tiguan tows so well. Sorry to hear about the new clutch and mass flywheel, was it covered by the warrranty?

I seem tio have heard about a few of these things giving problems

Hi Vernon

Good to hear your Tiguan tows so well. Sorry to hear about the new clutch and mass flywheel, was it covered by the warrranty?

I seem tio have heard about a few of these things giving problems

The Warranty covered everything, my local agent is very good, incidently their Finance Manager's Tiguan had the same flywheel fault. It gave a clicking noise when slipping the clutch pulling off up hill, especially when towing.

I use the Auto Hold all the time, it's a bit un-nerving to get back into my wife's car and forget to use the handbrake!

If you have a 13 pin socket fitted, make sure they fit the kit to wire the fridge and battery charging. The whole lot with a fixed towbar cost £537 plus VAT.

Edited by Vernon

The Warranty covered everything, my local agent is very good, incidently their Finance Manager's Tiguan had the same flywheel fault. It gave a clicking noise when slipping the clutch pulling off up hill, especially when towing.

I use the Auto Hold all the time, it's a bit un-nerving to get back into my wife's car and forget to use the handbrake!

If you have a 13 pin socket fitted, make sure they fit the kit to wire the fridge and battery charging. The whole lot with a fixed towbar cost £537 plus VAT.

Vernon

Glad to hear all was covered, I am lucky also in that my local VW dealer I have used for the last 10 years and I know the service manager very well, he's always been a great help. I had my tow bar fitted by an independant fitter recommended by my supplying VW dealer and he fitted detachable with single 13 pin for £399 and I ensured that everything worked, and it seems to even the reversing lights, and also it powers the ATC on the caravan. The bar doesn't interfere with the parking sensors or the park assist either so so far I'm well please, looking foward to towing after easter.

Will listen out for the clicking noise but hope it doesn't make itself heard. How many miles have you on the clock so far?